Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > if "S.M.A.R.T. failing" shows up... what next?

if "S.M.A.R.T. failing" shows up... what next?
bohdanz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2004, 11:15 PM

I'm seeing "S.M.A.R.T. failing" on my startup hard drive (I have two others in my G4 tower for video work.)

Do I need to replace my startup disk ASAP or can I resintall Panther onto one of the other existing hard drives and make it up the startup disk? (They're affixed on an ATA/66 controller cable.)

Thanks very much.

I know the 'failing' part doesn't bode well and would rather take action now then lose everything later.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 12, 2004, 11:23 PM

Backup and replace the drive. Now.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by bohdanz:
I'm seeing "S.M.A.R.T. failing" on my startup hard drive (I have two others in my G4 tower for video work.)

Do I need to replace my startup disk ASAP or can I resintall Panther onto one of the other existing hard drives and make it up the startup disk? (They're affixed on an ATA/66 controller cable.)
SMART is the hard drive itself failing its own diagnostics. This is very serious. Do as Scott says and back up now. If the drive is under warranty, get it replaced. If not, toss it and buy a replacement.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2004, 12:06 AM

I had a PC which was showing a SMART error. Data corruption occurred within 1 week (all backed up, fortunately).
Back up your stuff and get a new drive!

reader50
Administrator
Jan 13, 2004, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by bohdanz:
I'm seeing "S.M.A.R.T. failing" on my startup hard drive ...
  1. Go to newegg and find the largest WD-JB that you feel like buying. Or go to a different vendor and/or get a different drive brand.
  2. Copy everything off the failing drive.
  3. Open a south-facing window. It's important to be sure the window faces directly south. Remove the screen if there is one, make sure the drapes are open.
  4. Place the old HD on a low object in front of the window, such as a shoe box or golf tee.
  5. Put on your heavy work boots, the steel-toe ones.
  6. See just how far that drive can really go.

Seriously, the above posters are right. The drive itself believes it's failing, and it has good reason for believing that. It's living on borrowed time, and so is any of your data still on that drive.

-Q-
Jan 13, 2004, 10:19 AM

While reader 50 has the most...creative method I've heard of to deal with a failing drive, it's definitely time to replace that drive. I have to say, this is the first time I've heard of SMART actually being useful to someone - usually the drive just fails catastrophically and they're SOL if they don't have any backups. So don't look this gift horse in the mouth - backup and replace that drive pronto!

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 11:56 AM

SMART is actually very useful.
I never saw it used on the Mac though.

Where did you see/get an alert that SMART was failing ?
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 13, 2004, 02:41 PM

Well, Xserves monitor SMART, as does DiskWarrior 3.

tooki

kehno
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2004, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by Sarc:
SMART is actually very useful.
I never saw it used on the Mac though.

Where did you see/get an alert that SMART was failing ?
You can check SMART status with Disk Utility. Select your harddrive from the list on the left, and in the bottom of the window you can see line "S.M.A.R.T. status: ..."

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 04:29 PM

I learned the hard way. BACK UP NOW!!!

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 05:34 PM

Just to echo everyone else, If you think a HD is failing then backup! if not be prepared for the consequences!

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by kehno:
You can check SMART status with Disk Utility. Select your harddrive from the list on the left, and in the bottom of the window you can see line "S.M.A.R.T. status: ..."
yes, I know, but ppl. don't usually check that.
Most PC's check SMART status at startup, so you get an alert before Windows actually boots.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2004, 04:09 AM

I just fired up Disk Utility and noticed that my second hard drive shown the same.
I put my PowerMac G4 (FW800) on 24/7, the problem hard drive is located on the ATA/66 bus and set to put disk to sleep for inactive under the system preference.

I use that drive mainly for video and all my iTunes songs on it. Actually, it doesn't act strange or make weird noisy.

I have an identical drive as my boot drive without any problem.

The problem drive is purchased in July/2003 and the other same make and model back in Aug/2002. The "older" drive is still working and the "newer" one doesn't.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 09:26 AM

Most PC's check SMART status at startup, so you get an alert before Windows actually boots.
When I boot into OS9, Hard Drive Toolkit checks the SMART status when it loads the extensions.

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2004, 02:38 PM

My problem is DiskWarrior is saying SMART is operating fine, but I've got a corrupted hard drive on my new 1 month old G5! The drive is an additional 250GB Maxtor drive I added and it's already been corrupted after 3 weeks. Anyone know of any "known" G5 SATA issues or could it be heat?

Drive no longer mounts on desktop, and the first time I ran DiskWarrior, it couldn't replace the directory. I'm now at work and left it running, I guess the best I can hope for now is to preview the drive and copy as much off it as I can.

I swore off Maxtor drives since I've had 4 out of 4 in the past 5 years that went bad, but thought maybe they've improved. Oh well, serves me right.

If SMART is saying the drive is fine, will Maxtor give me grief for trying to replace the drive? It's only a few weeks old...

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 27, 2004, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by cmoney:
My problem is DiskWarrior is saying SMART is operating fine, but I've got a corrupted hard drive on my new 1 month old G5! The drive is an additional 250GB Maxtor drive I added and it's already been corrupted after 3 weeks. Anyone know of any "known" G5 SATA issues or could it be heat?

Drive no longer mounts on desktop, and the first time I ran DiskWarrior, it couldn't replace the directory. I'm now at work and left it running, I guess the best I can hope for now is to preview the drive and copy as much off it as I can.

I swore off Maxtor drives since I've had 4 out of 4 in the past 5 years that went bad, but thought maybe they've improved. Oh well, serves me right.

If SMART is saying the drive is fine, will Maxtor give me grief for trying to replace the drive? It's only a few weeks old...
It could always be the data on the drive that's corrupted. Try reformatting and see if the problem goes away.

bbales
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 09:12 PM

bohdanz, let us know what happens -- such as, did you get the drive backed up and replaced in time?

OreoCookie
May 29, 2004, 05:04 AM

Although suggested by many people, once again:

Bacup up. NOW. Replace the harddrive ASAP. Don't do any more serious work on that machine, except for the backup of course. If you have important (`personal' data on it, wipe the hd using secure rm or secure empty the trash).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
Although suggested by many people, once again:

Bacup up. NOW. Replace the harddrive ASAP. Don't do any more serious work on that machine, except for the backup of course. If you have important (`personal' data on it, wipe the hd using secure rm or secure empty the trash).

bstone
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2004, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
If you have important (`personal' data on it, wipe the hd using secure rm or secure empty the trash).
Or just take it outside and smash it with a big ass rock like I do.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Not for me...

Since my hard drive is still in warranty... Western Digital replaced mine and I have to send the bad drive back to them or they will bill me.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 09:35 AM

I use Macaroni (although cron would work too) to run this script every day:

Code:
set status to do shell script "diskutil info disk0 | grep SMART" if status is not " SMART Status: Verified" then do shell script "echo -n 'Disk last checked on ';date;echo SMART status: Problem Detected!" tell application "Finder" display dialog "A hardware problem has been detected on your hard drive:" & return & return & status end tell else do shell script "echo -n 'Disk last checked on ';date;echo SMART status: Verified." end if
If the S.M.A.R.T. status of my hard drive is anything other than normal, it pops up an alert dialog.

More scripts are here

Chris

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
I read in the New Scintist in a article with a cyber crime detective, that micorwaving is also a good method for losing data permanently... And also losing your microwave.

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2004, 04:04 PM

Well, ran DiskWarrior on the drive to no avail. It actually crashed once right before I tried to write the new directory to the drive. I was able to salvage some of the data though, using its Preview function.

The real help though came from Prosoft's Data Rescue X. That program worked great! I've got about 98% of the data from the drive now and should be fine once I find the time to restore my apps. Haven't heard much about this program so here's one vote for it. It's not gonna repair your drive, but you'll be able to pull stuff off and onto a new drive.

I found out there was a lightening storm while I was on vacation and that was probably the cause of the problem. SMART is still reporting the drive is okay though. I'm gonna contact Maxtor about getting it replaced under warranty.

Also, while everyone's saying backup backup backup, I wonder what everyone's backing up onto?! With 2 250GB drives, finding an affordable backup medium isn't really possible. Ok, I don't have 500GBs worth backing up, but easily do have 100GBs of data, including previous projects, videos, photos, etc. DVD-R is essentially as useless as CD-R and tape drives this size run into the $750-$1000 range (although Lacie has some AIT I drives at $249 refurb, though I don't know if I want to trust my last line of defense to a refurb tape drive). I'm -> <- this close to buying Micronet's Platinum RAID 5 FW800 system which has 600GB for $1900.

Squozen
May 30, 2004, 09:10 PM

I back up to my Linux servers. I figure the chance of my server HD and laptop HD dying at the same time is pretty slim.

Forum Links
Forum Rules