Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New MAC user questions....

New MAC user questions....
Goofas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2004, 09:32 PM

I just sold my entire windows computer set up and all software on EBAY. I have wanted a MAC for years and now I am ready! I am going to get the new Emac with 512 memory, 80gb hdd, and stand. I have an external hdd for back up I can use. The only thing I am going to miss is my Photoshop 7! How does iphoto compair? Do I need anthing other than my FAT32 usb hdd to import mp3's and jpegs to the new emac? On more question....will the spreadsheet program that comes on the emac read my Excel files?
Thanks for helping out the new guy!

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2004, 10:15 PM

iPhoto is in a different catagory all together than Photoshop. Basically the only thing iPhoto does is let you organize your pics (and a few other things). You might want to invest in Photoshop for the Mac if you use it alot. You won't have a problem with the HD being FAT32 format since OSX can read the format. I can't remember how AppleWorks is with opening Excel files. You might want to ask that question in the Software forum. Check this out also:

http://www.panergy-software.com/prod...cel/index.html

One last thing. It's spelled Mac not MAC

Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2004, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by Goofas:
I just sold my entire windows computer set up and all software on EBAY. I have wanted a MAC for years and now I am ready! I am going to get the new Emac with 512 memory, 80gb hdd, and stand. I have an external hdd for back up I can use. The only thing I am going to miss is my Photoshop 7! How does iphoto compair? Do I need anthing other than my FAT32 usb hdd to import mp3's and jpegs to the new emac? On more question....will the spreadsheet program that comes on the emac read my Excel files?
Thanks for helping out the new guy!
iPhoto is very basic, but ok for simple organizing. You might try Photoshop Elements. It can do a surprising large amount of things and only costs $100 or less, even comes free with many scanners/printers........

xCubex
Banned
Jun 7, 2004, 12:05 AM

Do not get a Mac. Pricewise, not even worth it. You'll be better off sticking to PC's and they are so much faster and cheaper. You can get really good deals right now and Macs are so expensive for such slow computers, why even bother. iPhoto is so overated. There are many very good photo albums softwares out there. Macs may look good, but damn, they suck ass.

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2004, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by xCubex:
Do not get a Mac. Pricewise, not even worth it. You'll be better off sticking to PC's and they are so much faster and cheaper. You can get really good deals right now and Macs are so expensive for such slow computers, why even bother. iPhoto is so overated. There are many very good photo albums softwares out there. Macs may look good, but damn, they suck ass.
ummm, are you in the wrong place?
and do you have any reasons to beleive any of that rubbish you just spouted?
i doubt it
( Last edited by storer; Jun 7, 2004 at 01:23 AM. )

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 7, 2004, 01:05 AM

You know, there are a lot of things that can be said in the PC/Mac comparison.

None of them were said above. However, someone does have a firm grasp on the word 'sucks.' Amazingly, there's no evidence presented to back that up.

If you miss Photoshop 7 on the PC, you'll find that Photoshop Elements 2.0 is largely suitable for $50 US (amazon.com) $99 US elsewhere.

Otherwise, you can spring for Photoshop CS, which is wonderful on Mac.

Appleworks comes installed on the eMac. It should be able to read your excel files without issue, but the student and teacher edition of MS Office is 150 USD. Hard to beat for the price and it will definitely work.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Goofas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2004, 07:22 AM

Thanks for the input. I would like to stay away from all MS products if possible (point of ditching the pc). Does PS elements have the "healing brush" option? That is my favorite option on PS 7.0.

jmonty12
Jun 7, 2004, 04:28 PM

The healing brush is one of those things PS Elements does not have. BTW, if there is an Apple store in your area, you can play with PS CS on a computer there. However, I have not noticed Macs in the store that have PS Elements to play with.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2004, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the input. I would like to stay away from all MS products if possible (point of ditching the pc). Does PS elements have the "healing brush" option? That is my favorite option on PS 7.0.
If you don't want to buy Microsoft Office v.X or 2004, then I'd recommend OpenOffice rather than AppleWorks for dealing with your Excel files. You can download it here, it's free (a 173MB download), and all you need is Apple's own X11, which will be included with your new eMac.

As far as Photoshop is concerned, Photoshop Elements 2.0 is the same as Photoshop 7.0, minus some features, such as the healing brush and CMYK abilities. In addition to Amazon for Elements 2.0, you might want to try eBay to find a full copy of 7.0. Or, if you like what you see of OpenOffice, try the Gimp. It has similar abilities to Photoshop, but is very different to use.

One other thing I would recommend would be to install a full 1GB of RAM, but 512MB should be enough to get started.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2004, 10:20 PM

The only thing I am going to miss is my Photoshop 7!
Ok, it's been said before, but maybe not as clear:

Photoshop CS = PS 7.0+1
They just called PS 8.0 --> "CS"

If buy want PS 7.0, then get it on eBay.
It exists for the Mac, no problems there.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules