Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Logic board dead again!

Logic board dead again!
winCEman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 04:27 PM

Well, time number 2 in 4 months. Looks like all I have to do is wait and i'll get a powerbook soon enough, I almost had the tech I talked into an upgrade this time around though. Maybe next time the logic board dies, you know it will. Well, at least their wasting my time.

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 3, 2004, 10:43 PM

Yeah get a PowerBook. That's what I should've done too. I find myself wanting the G4 (back when I got my iBook we didn't have G4 iBooks) and the extra features like bluetooth. Plus Apple knows that the iBooks have a problem and they only offer to fix it if it's broke and when they do fix it, it just happens again. You'd think those great minds that have created so many fine products in the past could figure out the problem in the iBooks and fix it once and for all
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 11:19 PM

This logic board iBook stories seem to infer that iBooks are like use "one time use only.. use and throw away". Completely unacceptable.

regards

Komisar
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 12:44 PM

Dont get a powerbook.... call the company up and say that you have a reccurring problem with your computer and you need it for work or school and your a loyal custumer and need a computer he can rely on they will give you an upgrade most likely if you say u find this computer cheaply made... always worth the try

strokemouth
May 4, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
Dont get a powerbook.... call the company up and say that you have a reccurring problem with your computer and you need it for work or school and your a loyal custumer and need a computer he can rely on they will give you an upgrade most likely if you say u find this computer cheaply made... always worth the try
That didn't work for me. My logic board died for the second time right before I had to meet with a panel for my senior thesis. I lost about 2 1/2 weeks worth of worktime because of it. I spoke with a bunch of people at Apple Care and the only thing they said was "go find a public computer." They didn't care that my thesis required me to be on a Mac with root access connected to a wireless network. I had to do a ton of begging, but I ended up getting an extension on my panel meeting.

I was also told that from now on, if you have your logic board replaced, it shouldn't die again. One of the techs said that they didn't really know what the problem was before, but they do now, so they can replace dead boards with ones that don't have the flaw. Could be BS, but mine hasn't died (yet).

I just need it to last until Saturday when my new Powerbook gets here.

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2004, 02:41 PM

I share your destress!
I am waiting for an answer from apple europe to finally exchange mine.
I am running on a defficient 3rd LB and had a dead HD plus dead power supply...
When the 2nd LB died I have been told that "T-H-E P-R-O-C-E-D-U-R-E" is to change it (again, with the same disfonctional part) and that then, they would consider to change the machine...
Well, I lost some data with the HD, days to reinstall all stuff, weeks with the book away for repair...
With 3 DHL trips to Netherlands from denmark where I am based, plus the technicians time... I think we reached the price of a new machine...

that was my thoughts...

PS:excuse me english, me is french and live abroad, it is diffeecult! ;o)

finboy
May 5, 2004, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by strokemouth:
Could be BS, but mine hasn't died (yet).

Smells of BS. I doubt that they actually fix anything -- I think they're playing the odds. IF yours gets the problem, they fix it, if not...

But I'd bet that they don't yet understand the problem. Why do I think so? Mine was MADE in October, shipped in December, and it's now under the extension plan.

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by finboy:
Mine was MADE in October, shipped in December, and it's now under the extension plan.
How can I find out when my iBook was made?

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2004, 08:06 AM

today is a good day... almost..
I will have a new iBook G4
cool
But i can sit on my 512 MB of extra RAM in my G3 800 that I bought to 3rd part... >
hummm, just s few $ fordouble the storage! nice!
Call again CR... wait... wait... no, they can t give me a "different" machine...
That is not what I call flexibility!
It turns out that it is MY FAULT if their fcking iBook is a piece of sht!!!

No way! DELL CS is way better than that!!! (at least the UK one!)

I will try to exchange my machine with a new one at my usual Apple shop...

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2004, 09:56 AM

i'm lucky i havent gotten any logic board issues (knock wood)

winCEman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2004, 10:51 AM

Well, its in the shop. I'm just waiting for my baby to be returned to me.
The next time this thing goes out I don't know what i'll do.

Quick side note, my box was sent to me they sent it to my home not my work. That would be o.k. if someone was there to receive it! I told them to send it to my work gave them the address and even refered to just sending it to the same adress it was sent before. That just killed another day. I guess i'll just pass the time with my Lifebook!

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 6, 2004, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by winCEman:
Well, its in the shop. I'm just waiting for my baby to be returned to me.
The next time this thing goes out I don't know what i'll do.

Quick side note, my box was sent to me they sent it to my home not my work. That would be o.k. if someone was there to receive it! I told them to send it to my work gave them the address and even refered to just sending it to the same adress it was sent before. That just killed another day. I guess i'll just pass the time with my Lifebook!
Sorry you had the problem. It seems that before Apple had no idea of what was causing the problem and it would happen again. But now it seems they know what exactly what the problem is and it's only a one time fix. I haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood) but at least if I do I know they know how to fix it once and for all now.
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2004, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by Applefreak01:
Sorry you had the problem. It seems that before Apple had no idea of what was causing the problem and it would happen again. But now it seems they know what exactly what the problem is and it's only a one time fix. I haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood) but at least if I do I know they know how to fix it once and for all now.
???
but did not work for me?
I had it changed (LB) a month ago!...
And regarding the HD upgrade I wanted: "IT IS NOT POSSIBLE" said the danish robot on the phone line from Cork Ireland...
Not possible?! of course it is! If you wan tyou can! It pisses me off this damn sht iBook! As i said before it is MY FAULT if the machine breaks down all the time!!!...
I am just asking for a 60 Gigs HD instead of the 30, and I want to pay for it! but no! They wont!... OK I will cool down tonight and will call again tomorrow another guy. It is funny how things sounds different from a person to an other sometimes... I ll give it a try! :o/

Awimoway
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2004, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by heresiarh:
i'm lucky i havent gotten any logic board issues (knock wood)
I really wonder what the percentages are. I haven't had any issues either, but my iBook is not my primary computer. In fact, I rarely use it. I can't help but wonder if I'm just lucky or if I just haven't given my iBook enough use to wear out the logic board.

winCEman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2004, 10:33 AM

Well, still waiting!

I called Applecare and apparently, I have a new board on order. I asked if they have actually found the problem, or am I just setting myself up for disapointment again. She said they have "New" boards, I proceded to say I thought that's what I was supposed to get last time. So we'll see.

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2004, 11:32 AM

Well, still waiting!

I called Applecare and apparently, I have a new board on order. I asked if they have actually found the problem, or am I just setting myself up for disapointment again. She said they have "New" boards, I proceded to say I thought that's what I was supposed to get last time. So we'll see.
Good luck winCEman! you ll need some! Pa$$ience is sometimes not enough! ;o)

winCEman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2004, 01:43 PM

Got ibook back, logic board seems to be ok for now. Now my battery isn't seen! It won't charge with the machine off/on! I tried removing the battery while booted up, there was a "x" where the battery is listed on my top bar, and after swaping the battery out it just hangs at "calulating" forever!

I had no problems at all with my battery life before it was sent in for service. This sucks!

This comes at a very stressfull time for me also, i'm moving this weekend, and I may be starting a new job shortly! I really don't need this extra stress.

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 13, 2004, 07:48 PM

Man that sucks. I have no idea why your battery would stop working. I hope it's just the battery and not something else wrong with your iBook.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2004, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
How can I find out when my iBook was made?
The third digit in the serial number is the year, and the fourth and fifth digits are the week it was manufactured. So, QT234xxxxxxx, would mean it was made in 2002, in the 34th week.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

winCEman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2004, 01:50 PM

Update:
Well after atempting charging overnight, I now have a new battery on the way to me. I really don't think that the battery is the issue, but, Apple Care wants to try that first, before sending my ibook back into repair. I asked if this is a board problem again don't you guys have a lemon policy? Apple Care said that after the 3rd repair in 12 months they would issue a replacement after the 4th time it broke down.

I thought it was supposed to be on a case by case basis! Well, I have to say this really sucks. You know that when I send it back they will state that something was not connected correctly and that it won't count as a repair, then I'll have to wait for it to break down 2 more times.

tujucrue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2004, 10:55 PM

Hey friends, I could not help reading and wanted to share my story. I had an iBook G3 700 which was having display problems, naturally I thought it was the logic board due to all the problems I was having. Actually, they never found the cause because the incompetent technician(s) could not reproduce the problem. To tell you the truth, I doubt they even looked at it as a monkey could reproduce the problem.

To make a long story short, after the fourth time I got the machine back unfixed, I managed to get through to a tier two rep. He sent me call tags and gave me a new iBook G4 1 Gig when I sent my old machine back. The whole process took less than one week and I am pleased with the new machine.

I thought I would mention this, especially to poor winCEman. No one should have to go through the crap that he went through.

I would like to say, the new iBooks feel better constructed, maybe they fixed the problems. For one thing, the inside frame is heavy duty plastic instead of metal and the slot loading drive is awesome. Most importantly, the machine does not freeze like it used to. I really like the changes. Just thought I'd share.

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2004, 06:22 AM

Update:
Apple Care said that after the 3rd repair in 12 months they would issue a replacement after the 4th time it broke down.

I thought it was supposed to be on a case by case basis! Well, I have to say this really sucks. You know that when I send it back they will state that something was not connected correctly and that it won't count as a repair, then I'll have to wait for it to break down 2 more times.
Same here my friend!
On the phone with them, i had this conversation from "out there":
(Me) So you will change the LB with the same one that fails and you know it?...
(Them) Yes.
- Isn t this conversation sound like a bit off? i ask you to repair my machine, you will replace the piece by one the exact same one that will breack?... are you there? I have to hit myself to be sure it is not a dream!
- I know, it is the P-R-O-C-E-D-U-R-E. There is nothing I can do about it.
(to myself: of course! you are Apple! you can serve your cu$tomer$ better than that!)
So the 3rd died... and (with my dead DH and power supply) I could have had a 12" PB that they launched 4 months after i bought my iBook! (DOH!)
No, this is really nit a joke, it co$t me a lot plus at least a month without the machine. And not even a sorry. Just a letter from Apple CR saying sorry would comfort me. Off course, the replacement of my 512MB of RAM would be a plus as I have to buy it myself again (3rd party!)...

AgBlue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 06:45 AM

I would have to say that I may take the cake on ibook repairs. Here's my history.
Bought the iBook 700mhz in August of 2002.
November 2002, 1st repair. Replaced Logic board.
March 2003, 2nd repair, replaced logic board. Bought Apple care a month or so after.
August 2003, 3rd repair, replaced logic board. The head tech told me here that this would be the last repair they would try and that standard procedure would be to replace it on the 4th occurence.

Beginning of January 2004, the logic board went out again. I called them up, and said, look it's the 4th time, and I was tired of having to backup and not be able to rely on my iBook. I told the CS that I the head tech said it would be replaced this time. He went to talk to another head tech, and came back saying it's been more than 4 months since the last repair, so they would have to research the problem again. BS. They ended up replacing the logic board again.

Then less than one month later in February, it broke once again. Well this time, I directly said I wanted to speak to the head tech. I told him that this was the 5th time this happened, and I wanted a replacement. He said looking at the history he wouldn't blame me. He set me up with a replacement right then.

Had to wait 2 weeks, but I got upgraded to a 900mhz ibook with a bigger hd (40gb), a better video card, a faster burner, and other little improvements.

Well, that's when I decided to sell it since it was a brand new unit, and use the money to buy a powerbook. So now here I am today with a new 15in Powerbook G4, 1.5GHz and I'm much happier with it.

Oh yeah, and Apple refunded the 1.5 years of unused Applecare. I ended up getting $124.50 back. What a nice treat!

Anyway good luck to your woes, and hopefully you'll get rewarded in the long run.

Agblue

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2004, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by AgBlue:
but I got upgraded to a 900mhz ibook with a bigger hd (40gb), a better video card, a faster burner, and other little improvements.
Agblue
"lucky" you !
I asked, as they would give me a NEW machine, if I could pay the difference for a 60GB HD instead and I had a NO!!! What a bunch of f*ckers! (excuse my French!... BTW I am French!;o)

KingRocky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 01:20 PM

Before I plunk down my $1500 for a new 1GHz iBook, are they having the same problems with these units, or are the 1Ghz models using a different logic board?

I would hate to exchange my Dell Latitude laptop that has logic board problems for a new iBook that has logic board problems. . .

xmishx
May 15, 2004, 02:06 PM

Mine is going in for the second time today for the same problem I had the 1st time about 2 months ago. I bought the 700MHz unit at the end of November. Hopefully the new logic boards will be the fil...

X

tujucrue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2004, 02:42 AM

KingRocky,

IMHO, I think the new iBooks are constructed better than the old ones. In terms of the logic board, I believe that the problems of the old will not affect the new ones. This comes from my belief that they have identified the problems with the old logic board.

With that said, I found the following redesigns in the new iBooks to solve many of the problems the old ones had.

First, they replaced the plastic piece that surrounds the head phone jack with a metal jack. It is less flimsy than the old one and should last a long time. For those who don't know, that piece is attached to the logic board and if the piece breaks, than you could short your logic board.

Second, they changed the frame on the inside from aluminum to plastic. Not only does it look better, but appears to take impacts better. This is important to protect the internal components.

Third, they added a slot loading CD drive to the iBook. In the old model the tray would not open if up against an arm rest or wall, or the tray would snag onto the cord. The new model obviously solves all this.

Fourth, and probably my favorite is that the power chord is now stronger. The cable that runs from the wall to the adaptor is now three prong and the cable that runs from the adaptor to the computer is now thicker. The end that goes into the computer also looks stronger. I can't begin to tell you how many adaptors I went through.

Basically, the redesign is good and practical. To say that future problems won't arise would be in vein. While the machine appears to be better, there are no guaranties. That's why there is Apple Care. I find it to be totally worth the price.

I should also mention that we are a small few who have had problems. Apple has sold hundreds of thousands of iBooks and not all of them have had problems. I have friends who have the same model as my old one and have not had a problem. So consider these before you make a decision.

KingRocky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2004, 08:23 AM

tujucrue,

Thanks for that confidence-builder.

Now, does anybody out there want to buy a slightly-used Dell Latitude L400 notebook that randomly overheats and shuts off?

everyplace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2004, 12:32 PM

I have both a powerbook g4 867 15" and I also take care of my father's iBook 14" 800 mhz. We both got our laptops in early january of 2003.

In june of last year, we had the logic board replaced on his machine for the first time, before I read anything about any lawsuit, or anything else related to the issue. Then, again, in late november, It needed replaced again. And now, guess what I just sent the machine in for repair for AGAIN??

The thing is, given the circumstances, they fix it without issue, and it comes back in a few days. I mean, it really sucks, my father is a math professor, but his university is too cheap to buy him a real machine. So they buy him this, and this is what they get. His work suffers from downtime, but at least apple is courteous and quick about it. Oh well. Hopefully this experience will warrant them actually purchasing him a real machine next time.

see4pio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2004, 01:20 PM

had my logicboard replaced once as soon as the replacement program was announced but am now having a different problem than i was before....

if the screen is adjusted to far back the display goes totally dark... not sure if this is a logicboard problem or not.... although if it's dark and I push slightly on that magical spot to the left of my trackpad the display will come back for a minute and then when I let go it goes dark again. makes me think it's the logicboard....

The problem is only getting worse, pretty soon I'm going to have not be able to look at the keys and see the screen because it's going to be half-closed to function. I guess it's time to backup and take it in.

anyone else have this same problem and have apple cover it under the replacement plan? I was an idiot and forgot to mail in my thing to sign up for applecare before my one year was up and so now I'm at their mercy....

wish this would happen a couple more times over the summer while I don't need my ibook for school so I could get a replacement by the fall.
( Last edited by see4pio; May 19, 2004 at 01:31 PM. )

bojangles
Senior User
May 16, 2004, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by see4pio:
anyone else have this same problem and have apple cover it under the replacement plan?
My dad�s having the same problem with his iBook G3/700, but he still has AppleCare. They�ve got it in the shop as we speak, so he�s commandeered my sister�s (identical) �Book till he gets his back. (Needless to say, she�s thrilled.)
I know this probably doesn�t help much, but at least you�re not alone.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2004, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by KingRocky:
Before I plunk down my $1500 for a new 1GHz iBook, are they having the same problems with these units, or are the 1Ghz models using a different logic board?

I would hate to exchange my Dell Latitude laptop that has logic board problems for a new iBook that has logic board problems. . .
I haven't heard of these problems with the 1st generation iBooks.
Mine is running over 3 years now, no problems, except a killed battery by OS 10.2.3 (or was it 10.2.4 ???)

Got it replaced for free outside warranty though, after nagging Apple long enough

-t

Hiramw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2004, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by see4pio:
had my logicboard replaced once as soon as the replacement program was announced but am now having a different problem than i was before....

if the screen is adjusted to far back the display goes totally dark... not sure if this is a logicboard problem or not.... although if it's dark and I push slightly on that magical spot to the left of my keyboard the display will come back for a minute and then when I let go it goes dark again. makes me think it's the logicboard....
Hello,

I had the identical problem here, twice. The first time it was repaired by Apple under warranty and recently I repaired it myself since my machine is no longer under warranty.

The problem is caused by a failed inverter cable. The inverter cable snakes through the hinge on the right side by the power button. When the cable is damaged (which can happen over time) you have the problem you describe. You can by a new inverter cable/reed switch (both are part of the same cable) for around $60. The hard part is actually doing the work to replace the cable. Unless you are really comfortable doing detailed electronics work or something similar I wouldn't suggest it. You may have heard about the difficulty of replacing an iBook's hard drive. Replacing this cable requires much more disassembly than replacing the hard drive.

This repair is not covered by the repair extension program. You might want to do a Google search for 3rd party repair shops if your machine is not covered by Apple Care.

Hiram

verods
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2004, 01:18 PM

Well, still waiting!

that's what i said to myself when i had my ibook G3 700Mhz repaired for the third time. i first noticed that it became warm very soon and less than 3 weeks after the logic board failed again. this time i hope they will change it otherwise i'm really decided to put a big mess in this apple business

winCEman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2004, 12:10 PM

Update:
Well I got the battery problem I mentioned before fixed, for some stupid reason the battery just died. I'm done with my 800mhz ibook, I sold it to a co-worker from work. And that same day I got a raise from work so I got a new G4 1gig combo-drive ibook. I just put in 512mb 2700 ram. The thing is SWEET!!!!

The funny part is if, the logic problem happens again, on the old machine, my friend gets a G4 too!

FXWizard
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2004, 06:01 PM

My iBook 600 is coming up on its third birthday this November and it seemed as if I was exempt from the logic board problem...until 2 weekends ago.

I talked to Apple first and they said it looked like it's the LB; I dropped it off at the local Mac dealer yesterday.

Oh well, at least I don't have to pay for the repairs -- but I do miss my wireless surfing!

Forum Links
Forum Rules