Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Setup Help/Advice needed...

Setup Help/Advice needed...
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2004, 06:08 AM

I have just acquired 3 PIII 700 boxes (free, w00t!), each with about 128 MB RAM running windows 2000.

I have absolutely no use for them work wise, so was wondering if there is any point putting them to work on Folding@home and having a small farm of sorts, or are they just too slow to be effective?

Also, can I run them headless in windows 2000, or if not, is there a Linux alternative?

Thanks in advance!

Marc

DrBoar
Senior User
Jun 17, 2004, 09:55 AM

They are definitively fast enough for f@h.
http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=8181
The minimum CPU speed varies with time and CPU usage but if you run it 24/7 with close to 100% CPU usage you can get within the prefered repy time with a 200-300 MHz CPU. A really weak CPU like the Cyrix 300 will not cut it while a Sun Alpha will do it at much slower speeds.

The PIII is a very nice CPU and those 2.1GHz running 24/7, will be a substantial boost, so catch me if you can
( Last edited by DrBoar; Jun 17, 2004 at 10:06 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules