Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Are you unemployed? why?

Are you unemployed? why?
John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2004, 11:35 PM

Are you unemployed? why? some people are don't seek jobs, but others do.

I'm employed, while I'm in school.

Are you unemployed? why?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2004, 11:36 PM

No, I like to fix broken things and then fix them again...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2004, 11:37 PM

Someone has to make things look pretty!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2004, 12:16 AM

Looks like I'm about to be...
Why? There are two people doing what 1.5 could.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 12:17 AM

I'm unemployeed kind of. I'll be re-employeed when school starts again in late August.

Or is this a vacation?

Matt Fahrenbacher

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 12:25 AM

yes. because i'm waiting on the post office

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2004, 12:28 AM

No.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 12:43 AM

Technically, yes. For medical reasons.
I have a birth defect (spina bifida), and have developed severe osteo-arthritis and major degeneration of the left knee and right shoulder. I am now receiving disability retirement and SSDI.
Got SSDI on the first try, which I understand is fairly rare. The doc who examined me was amazed that I hadn't applied earlier. He was also pretty thrilled to have a patient who wasn't faking anything.
So yes, I am unemployed. Like most people in this situation, it is not by choice.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 12:58 AM

Not me. I show people different ways of supplying electrons to power the big city. Fun!

I'll be 40 next year - been working and/or in school since I was 4.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 01:18 AM

Yes, and I'd love to get a 'real job.'

I just graduated and would rather not work some BS cubicle job because I think I'd do better in a small organization. Right now I'm currently building webpages for cheap so I can build up a design portfolio. Hopefully I can keep a small web design business going throughout my working career for extra money.

As for a 'real job,' I'd like to work in creative advertising, internet design, or marketing. I'm all over Monster and Careerbuilder, but they suck. Maybe Craig's List will come through...

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by malvolio:
I have a birth defect (spina bifida), and have developed severe osteo-arthritis and major degeneration of the left knee and right shoulder. I am now receiving disability retirement and SSDI.
Got SSDI on the first try, which I understand is fairly rare. The doc who examined me was amazed that I hadn't applied earlier. He was also pretty thrilled to have a patient who wasn't faking anything.
So yes, I am unemployed. Like most people in this situation, it is not by choice.

Hey Malvolio,

I work in emergency health care and have seen many patient's with your condition. I have a lot of respect for people who thrive when faced with adversity such as yours... power to you.

I am glad to hear your pension, etc worked out well too.

Cheers,

James

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 07:15 AM

I gotta say, John insert initial. Smith has found an interesting way to drop +1's without other members, let alone the mods and admins, noticing.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 07:30 AM

John F-ing Smith:

What do you go to school for?
What do you do for a job?
Why do you ask so many friggin questions? Are you a 'Marketing' major?

-

+1

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2004, 07:44 AM

( Last edited by Randman; Jun 18, 2004 at 11:20 AM. )

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 07:45 AM

+1

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2004, 08:39 AM

It's unfortunate that so many are unemployed. I wish you all the best of luck!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2004, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
Looks like I'm about to be...
Why? There are two people doing what 1.5 could.
Is that gonna cost your head ?
What's gonna happen to the other 0.5 ?

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2004, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
+1
know THAT was subtle...

-t

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2004, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Is that gonna cost your head ?
What's gonna happen to the other 0.5 ?

-t
They will make one person take on a job and a half and eliminate the second person.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 09:29 AM

While my job is not what I really want to be doing and it is not a good use of my talents, it is still a job and barely pays the bills. Those that are holding out on finding the perfect job and then complaining when it never comes should just suck it up and get some kind of job. It is better to be working and making very little then to not be working and making nothing.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2004, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
While my job is not what I really want to be doing and it is not a good use of my talents, it is still a job and barely pays the bills. Those that are holding out on finding the perfect job and then complaining when it never comes should just suck it up and get some kind of job. It is better to be working and making very little then to not be working and making nothing.
Me agrees.

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2004, 11:02 AM

I never thought I'd find myself having to turn down a job, and I'm probably doing something incredibly stupid in doing so, but I just got a call from a friend of the family who's a reporter at the local metro paper (the Richmond Times-Dispatch), and he said they're hiring copy runners. Now, this is the ****-entry-level job that everyone hates doing, and the pay sucks. But, when it's time for me to apply for an internship come December, I'd have preference.

The flipside is that I make $17 an hour running the Mac Lab and running student media websites for my school (well, $10 an hour doing websites, and $7 an hour as a lab monitor, but I can conveniently do them both at the same time, so it's essentially like having one job and making $17 an hour, 20 hours a week), it's also along the lines of what I want to do (web-based media writing), and the reference at the T-D isn't going anywhere, he'll still give me a great reference in December, I just won't have "seniority."

Other things to consider are: my course load (17 credits of hardcore reporting/writing courses), the fact that I rely on my bike and public transportation (the GRTC sucks, but it's better than the one back home). Also, I make pretty damn good money as a student employee for the School of Mass Comm, much better than I'd make at the T-D, and I can pretty much make my own hours as well.

So, yeah. I'm going to have to turn down the job. I'm going to reccomend a couple of my friends who are looking for work and don't have a cushy job to fall back on like I did.

I just hope it doesn't come to bite me in the ass when I apply for a summer internship in December.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2004, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by malvolio:
I wouldn't consider you unemployed. You are on a medical retirement for a legitimate reason.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2004, 12:17 PM

I'll be unemployed after tomorrow. In July I'm gonna have to try and find a job in Vegas though. There should be something available.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2004, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
They will make one person take on a job and a half and eliminate the second person.
Correct. Or they may offer part time or contract work.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2004, 04:21 PM

Yes, because I can't find work anywhere around here. I have a bit of graphics skill, but I don't know where to take it. My quest shall continue.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 05:37 PM

technically, if you aren't actively seeking work and of an age to be legally employed, you're not unemployed. So housewives aren't, and school teachers during the summer aren't, but I am. Sucks to be me.

...anyone need a coder?
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2004, 06:59 PM

I just graduated from college last Sunday. I got my BS of physics w/ a math minor.

I have a good job lead, but it's not in the field I want to be in. I'm thinking I'll take it and work on getting a job else where during the time being.
12" AlBook • 15" Albook • G4 Cube • iSight • Original iPod • PB 100 • Newton 110 • Quicktake 100

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2004, 08:18 PM

no. but i have been unemployed and looking for a job, it sucks.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Forum Links
Forum Rules