Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Buy New Router Advice?

Buy New Router Advice?
vjamacaddict
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2004, 04:53 PM

I could use some advice for purchasing a new router to connect our PowerMac 7300/500 (System 9.1) and iBook G4 (OS X 10.3) to our DSL line. Any ideas on which router to buy that is very simple to connect?

Would there be any problems with using a new router connecting older computers (PowerBook 540c and SE/30), and using older operating systems, like System 7.5, or 8.6?

Thanks.

-- vjamacaddict
-- vjamacaddict

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 20, 2004, 07:02 PM

ANY "cable/DSL" router will do what you want. Every one that I'm aware of uses a browser interface to configure, so they're all pretty easy to set up. You can even find them with print servers so you can share a parallel port printer (or even a USB printer with newer models) through the network without needing a specific computer to host the printer. You can wind up paying anything from $30-$150 for such a router, depending on what features you want, but most people never need more than what a $50 router will do for them.

There should be no problem with using older and newer computers together on the same network. The only problem you're likely to run into is if you depend on AppleTalk, since it is not an IEEE standard protocol, and many routers don't pass AT packets properly. There are workarounds, though, such as AppleTalk over Ethernet.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 07:29 PM

Netgears are pretty good, LinkSys suck and offer ZERO Mac support.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 21, 2004, 10:04 PM

You don't really need "Mac support" with any of the current crop of routers unless you need (really need) AppleTalk. Linksys doesn't write code to run on Macs, but the only thing you'd need that for would be to update the router's firmware, and you can do that from within the firmware. Every commonly available router today (except for AirPort and AirPort Extreme Base Stations) uses a browser interface for configuration, so "Mac support" is a non-issue.

I've seen a lot of people post "Linksys sucks" on this forum, but I haven't seen anybody post real evidence to back that up. I've been running Linksys equipment for years, and I'm quite happy with it.

On the other hand, you can get some really great buys by not tying yourself down to a specific vendor-including not tying yourself to Apple. Keep an open mind and see where you get the most bang for your buck. And if things go wrong, hold the company to its warranty.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules