Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is Meteorologist dead?

Is Meteorologist dead?
UNTeMac
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 03:35 PM

There hasn't been any real development on it since it stopped working several months ago. Does anyone know what's happened?
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

cpac
Professional Poster
May 21, 2004, 04:03 PM

um... it still works for me.
cpac

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 05:06 PM

Mine's dead too. I think it croaked after one of the recent Security Updates.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 05:09 PM

Mine died about a month ago. I'm thinking of buying the full-featured WeatherPop to replace it, as I really liked the inline forecasts.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2004, 09:49 PM

Yep, Meteorologist is basically dead. The author abandoned it a while ago because he's pretty burned out with it (constantly changing weather code at weather.com, girlfriend, etc)

Maybe you could give WeatherPop a try. Little OT but I like the menubar graphics in WeatherPop. It may be a little blurry and colorful but the concept design is much nicer than Meteorologist's.

Weezer
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 10:55 PM

Technically the project is alive and well in the open source community. It has a bunch of developers signed on, and they have made one release so far. Hopefully they will come out with more updates soon:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/heat-meteo

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
May 22, 2004, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Little OT but I like the menubar graphics in WeatherPop. It may be a little blurry and colorful but the concept design is much nicer than Meteorologist's.
I thought you did the Meteo graphics? I prefer Meteo's to WeatherPop's.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2004, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
I thought you did the Meteo graphics? I prefer Meteo's to WeatherPop's.
Yeah I did the graphics but I really like the sky backdrop gradient box idea. They make sense somehow and look nice.

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2004, 04:01 AM

::shameless bump::

I don't suppose any of the developers on this project are members of MacNN? Free is good, s'why I like Meteo over Weatherpop. (not to mention I like context-menu forecasts and menubar radar images.)
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2004, 04:06 PM

Since mine died again a little while ago, I have been searching for something similar and what I found is that I like WeatherMenu more, however it is not free. I have yet to use up the demo period so I'm not sure what I will do after. Is $5 too much for a weather app that is completely customizable? Hmm.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2004, 04:14 PM

I shelled out the $8 for WeatherPop Advance and I have no regrets. I've never used Weather Menu so I can't compare the two, but WeatherPop Advance offers basically the same things as Meteo only it works continuously (ymmv).

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2004, 04:24 PM

Given up on 'em and am quite happy with weather and mini-weather Widgets with Konfabulator.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
Since mine died again a little while ago, I have been searching for something similar and what I found is that I like WeatherMenu more, however it is not free. I have yet to use up the demo period so I'm not sure what I will do after. Is $5 too much for a weather app that is completely customizable? Hmm.
Wow, I hadn't heard about this one. It's looking so far like $5 will definitely be worth it. I'll try it for a week or two and see. Thanks.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2004, 09:50 PM

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 22, 2004, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Meteorologist 1.4.0b was released today...
And it kicks ass.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2004, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
And it kicks ass.
It most certainly does...only with Weather.com; however, that's what I use so I'm very happy with the progress/bug fixes...

ryju
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 09:19 AM

IT'S THE ARMAGEDDON FOR HAWAII!!

bierslayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2004, 03:37 PM

I couldn't get it to work. I couldn't get any successful city searches for my home town let alone any major metropolitan city. The "Read Me" file for 1.4.0b suggests you may have to delete the old preferences file from a prior version in order for it to function properly. I deleted all traces of Meteorologist before launching the latest version. Then I couldn't get the city search to work. I had seen a post somewhere (Version Tracker maybe?) that put me onto the following solution:

I trashed the newly created plist file and then downloaded an earlier version of Meteo (1.3.1). I launched it, performed the city search (successfully) and quit the application. There should be a new plist file created by the earlier version. I then trashed the 1.3.1 application but not the plist it had created. Then I launched 1.4.0b and it worked perfectly.

If you have an earlier version it's probably best to keep the plist that already exists when updating to 1.4.0b. No need to delete it unless you have problems.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 04:29 PM

just as an addendum to the prior post--

if you keep your old preference file, as I did, a couple of preferences may be set incorrectly (my prefs for where to show the forecast and for how many days were all wacked, but those were comparatively easy to reset). Just change 'em back, and you should be good to go (no need to kill the old plist, download an old version, etc....)
cpac

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2004, 05:38 PM

I already deleted the old prefs.

threestain
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 07:17 PM

Brilliant - works again, and no crashes thus far - bargain!

jszrules
Senior User
Jul 7, 2004, 01:39 PM

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9074

the download and website links aren't working for me...anyone know why? if meteorologist crapped out again? etc...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2004, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by jszrules:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9074

the download and website links aren't working for me...anyone know why? if meteorologist crapped out again? etc...
Worked fine for me; however, here is a direct link for you to try:

http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/source...eo_1.4.0b2.dmg

jszrules
Senior User
Jul 7, 2004, 02:39 PM

Worked fine for me; however, here is a direct link for you to try:

http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/source...eo_1.4.0b2.dmg
thanks, gorickey. none of these links loaded on my mac. i then switched computers and they all worked. i guess i'll restart and see what happens just to see if it was a freak occurance. thanks again.

jszrules
Senior User
Jul 8, 2004, 11:16 PM

thanks, gorickey. none of these links loaded on my mac. i then switched computers and they all worked. i guess i'll restart and see what happens just to see if it was a freak occurance. thanks again.
restarted and still not loading, along with other random sites that no one in my house can access (www.dictionary.com is one of them). parts of sherlock are not working either. however, people outside of my house say they can access these sites with no problem (gorickey being an example with the meteorologist site). any ideas on why this is happening? anything i should look for in our router? thanks.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2004, 08:26 AM

resanything i should look for in our router? thanks.
Yep. I would try resetting/power cycle your router (un-plug from wall for 30 seconds and re-connect) and then give it a try again...

jszrules
Senior User
Jul 9, 2004, 10:50 AM

Yep. I would try resetting/power cycle your router (un-plug from wall for 30 seconds and re-connect) and then give it a try again...
I don't know that much about routers, but isn't 30 seconds long enough to have to reset all of the settings once we plug it back in? (I apologize that the topic has gone from Meteorologist to routers)

jszrules
Senior User
Jul 9, 2004, 10:00 PM

our internet service crapped out and when it came back, all the sights were working again...i guess that's the same as resetting the router...thanks! finally got meteorologist!

Forum Links
Forum Rules