Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What's your CPU's temperature?

What's your CPU's temperature?
neilio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2004, 11:37 PM

I mentioned this in my brief review of my new 15" 1.5ghz Powerbook for Macintouch, and I'd like to get some more data.

So... for those of you who are running aluminum powerbooks, I'd like to know what your CPU's temperature is (on average). You can find out what the temperature is of your CPU by running the freeware Temperature Monitor. I have it running in my menubar so I can see at a glance what my system's temperature is.

What I'd like to see is the average temperature when plugged in, and also when running on battery. Also, if you could post what kind of things you are running / working on with your powerbook to get these temperatures, I'd be most appreciated.

I'd just like to know what is considered "normal" for these systems. For me, I see:

Plugged in, fully charged : Between 49 degrees celsius (120 degrees farenheit) and 60 degrees celsius (140 degrees farenheit) when pushed hard. CPU performance under Energy Saver Settings is at maximum.

Unplugged : Between 36 degrees celsius (96.8 degrees farenheit) and 41 degrees celsius (105.8 degrees farenheit). CPU performance is set to "automatic".

What's your Powerbook's temperature?

Neil
( Last edited by neilio; Jun 26, 2004 at 01:55 AM. )
Cocoatech Design / Marketing
Try Path Finder, the integrated, powerful file browser for Mac OS X for free!
http://www.cocoatech.com/pf.php

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 08:21 AM

Average of 51,8�C normal load (being Safari, iChat, Adium, Temp Mon ...)
Can go up to 63,8�C under heavy load before internal fans come one.

I hardly ever use it unplugged so I can't give you temps for that, and if I did it would probably be the same since I have identical settings for when running on AC or Battery ...

But that's from before I built my cool stand which sees to it that my PB runs a good 10 to 12�C cooler at all times, under heavy stress goes no higher than 52�C ...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2004, 08:59 AM

Well, plugged in my 12" goes anywhere between 100 F and 148 F. The 148 was when i was encoding and exporting video from Final Cut and iMovie. Right now unplugged it's sitting around at 104 F. I would say that the average is around 120-130. It's usually always in there.
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Jun 25, 2004, 09:08 PM

148 for the cpu usually. the fan turns on at 118.

PS. i just got a commercial for a serch engine called dogpile on this site
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2004, 01:39 AM

Usual for me is about 115F but when I do processor intensive stuff it tops out at 145F.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

critterdoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2004, 07:50 AM

With proc throttled up and holding at 95-100%, my new 17" PB is topping out at 119-120F while showing near ambient temp of 69-70F when asleep with her lid closed. These numbers seems quite low compared to those reported here but the book sits up on an iCurve and the house temp holds at 69-70F.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jun 26, 2004, 08:14 AM

Mine (PB 17 Rev A) runs at 50 to 60 degrees celcius.
Fans come on at 60 degrees.
Some odd fan behaviour sometimes (fans come on after waking PB from sleep)-but that sorts itself out after a couple of weeks.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2004, 09:36 AM

My PB 15" rev a runs anyware between 118 and 140, the fan kicks around 130. when running folding@home the temp is pegged around 140.

Mike

neilio  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2004, 09:46 AM

My understanding is the PB 17" are somewhat cooler than the 15" due to the increased roominess of the casing. Makes sense, at any rate.

It seems that between 50-60 degress C (120-140 F) is the normal operating temperature of these machines. Good to know, I guess - I thought that might be a bit hot for a laptop, but I suppose that's what Applecare (and frequent backups) are for.
Cocoatech Design / Marketing
Try Path Finder, the integrated, powerful file browser for Mac OS X for free!
http://www.cocoatech.com/pf.php

jindrich
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2004, 11:50 AM

powerbook 15, 1.25

right now, in mallorca where it's aftermidday and very hot, the book marks 61,3 celsius (air conditioning is not on, just windows opened)

with the book chargign battery, processing power at max and top says im using from 10% to 50% cpu (i'd say 20% average).

fans still off, normally they kick in at 60, looks like today they're on SIESTA.

Forum Links
Forum Rules