Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Xbox Wireless Networking Help

Xbox Wireless Networking Help
Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2004, 09:15 PM

I have a PowerMac G4 running OS X v. 10.3.4, and I was using it's Airport Card to act as a software base station to share my internet connection with an XBox. The XBox has the Microsoft-sanctioned 'Wireless-G' adapter connected, which should allow it to see the wireless network I've created on my Mac. It does in fact find my network, and I can connect to it. However, when attempting to connect to XBox Live to setup a new account it fails to connect issuing an error that the DNS host is unable to be resolved. Has anyone setup their XBox to share their internet connection with their mac successfully? Is there something in the setup that I'm missing? I'd hate to have purchased this wireless adapter and Live subscription to have it not work.

Internet sharing has been turned on via the Sharing system preference, and it's set to share my ethernet connection which is hooked up to DSL service. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Neo.cmg

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2004, 03:08 AM

Is there any place to plug in any DNS servers manually on the XBox? I looked around for a manual but I couldn't find anything for the wireless adapter (but there has to be a way).

I had to manually set up my PS2 before I got a hardware router installed, and that might be your best course to take.

Not much help I know

Neo.cmg  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2004, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by tRr:
Is there any place to plug in any DNS servers manually on the XBox? I looked around for a manual but I couldn't find anything for the wireless adapter (but there has to be a way).

I had to manually set up my PS2 before I got a hardware router installed, and that might be your best course to take.

Not much help I know
Yes, there is a place to manually enter DNS servers, but I'm not certain what to use as my ISP doesn't require them--they simply use DHCP. I guess if I knew what the servers were, then I could give it a try.

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2004, 12:56 AM

I know one way is to open up Terminal and use the following command:

nslookup apple.com

Beside the first "Server:" should be the IP you want (though most ISP's have two DNS servers and this will only give you one... Don't know how to get the other!)

I'm sure someone else has the proper way but this should get you one at least!

Neo.cmg  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by tRr:
I know one way is to open up Terminal and use the following command:

nslookup apple.com

Beside the first "Server:" should be the IP you want (though most ISP's have two DNS servers and this will only give you one... Don't know how to get the other!)

I'm sure someone else has the proper way but this should get you one at least!

Thanks,

I'll give this a try, see if inputting this solves my problems, and report back.

Neo.cmg

Neo.cmg  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 02:35 PM

Entering the primary DNS IP didn't help any. Has anyone else successfully done this?

Neo.cmg

Forum Links
Forum Rules