Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Best Audio Quality Internet Radio

Best Audio Quality Internet Radio
PJ G4
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2004, 10:45 AM

I would like to know who has the best audio quality internet radio. I mainly listen to jazz and have a 1024 mps cable internet connection. I am willing to pay a monthly fee if the audio quality is good. Is there a technical limit to the audio quality that can pass over the internet compared to Sirius or XM satellite radio. Is iTunes the best player as far as audio quality is concerned. I am using OS X 10.3 Thanks

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 12:50 PM

Just search for the highest bitrate and best format. AAC will be a little better than MP3 (properly encoded) at the same bitrate. WMA is about the same as MP3 (maybe worse, depending on your tastes). Real is untested, AFAIK, so you'll have to try to the stream to see if it's acceptable.

OzarkMtn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2004, 09:09 PM

I use a XMPCR with optical(Toslink) running into my G5. The quality is fantastic. I gave up with the inconsistency & overall quality of music via the internet, plus I don't negatively impact my bandwidth for internet usage. If you are going to pay a fee go satellite.

http://store.myradiostore.com/xmwitoopdiou.html

There is also software for the Mac to control the XMPCR.
Cheers,

Just say "NO" to PLASTIC SPEAKERS!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules