Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What are my HDD specs?

What are my HDD specs?
Goofas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2004, 04:53 PM

i just was wondering what the emac hdd specs are. Is it 5400 or 7200 rpm? Is it a 2mb or 8mb buffer? please advise.....thanks.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2004, 05:28 PM

Give us some more information. As far as I know, all eMacs have hard drives with 2 MB buffers. However, some of the models (generally the higher end ones, and only in the more recent revisions) have 7200 RPM drives. Most have 5400 RPM drives.

An easy way to figure it out is to open Apple System Profiler ("About This Mac" in the Apple menu, then click "More Info") and look for the drive manufacturer and model number. Once you find it, look it up on the drive manufacturer's website - Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital, etc should all have a full listing of drive model numbers and specifications.

For quick reference though, the eMacs that shipped with 7200 RPM hard drives are these:

1 GHz w/ Combo drive, 60 GB hard drive, 128 MB of RAM, dual boot, introduced May 2003
1 GHz w/ Superdrive introduced May 2003
1.25 GHz w/ Superdrive introduced April 2004
Any eMac purchased after the October 2003 price drop with a larger BTO hard drive

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2004, 06:34 PM

The 160GB drive in my BTO 1.25GHz Combo Drive eMac has the model number ST3160023A, which means 7200 RPM and 8MB buffer.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Goofas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2004, 09:52 PM

I just found out it is a segate 7200 rpm but 2mb buffer.....I have a west digital 7200 rpm and 8mb buffer in the desk drawer...............looking for an allen wrench.......

Forum Links
Forum Rules