Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Acceptable time-frame for Bush...

Acceptable time-frame for Bush...
cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 11:45 PM

...to react to 9/11 news?

After watching Fahrenheit 911 and hearing the reaction from the theatre crowd, I was wondering what would have been an acceptable amount of time for Bush to react to the news of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Would it have been okay for Bush to jump up and...what? run for his plane?
I have issues with Bush being portrayed as a bumbling idiot during these 7 minutes, as if anyone could possibly walk in his shoes.
Can you imagine being in his position and getting this news!?!?!? What would you do?
Do you mind a Presidient who waits 7 minutes to decide on a initial course of action??!?!?!
Just curious.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by cacarr1:
...to react to 9/11 news?

After watching Fahrenheit 911 and hearing the reaction from the theatre crowd, I was wondering what would have been an acceptable amount of time for Bush to react to the news of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Would it have been okay for Bush to jump up and...what? run for his plane?
I have issues with Bush being portrayed as a bumbling idiot during these 7 minutes, as if anyone could possibly walk in his shoes.
Can you imagine being in his position and getting this news!?!?!? What would you do?
Do you mind a Presidient who waits 7 minutes to decide on a initial course of action??!?!?!
Just curious.
I sure as hell wouldn't have sat there and read about some kid's pet goat.

Watch this.

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2004, 11:56 PM

When terrorists attack the nation you are president of, you get off your and deal with it.
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

gatekeeper
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2004, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by cacarr1:
a) Scream "THE APOCALYPSE IS NEAR! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!".
b) Tell the kids that something has come up and I have to leave.
Uhm, the initial course of action is to defend the country. I need less than 1 nanosecond to decide that. Determining how to best defend the country and actually defending the country can't be done from a school with the help of a bunch of kids.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2004, 12:15 AM

Come on�"My Pet Goat" is a tough read, guys.

My understanding after listening to accounts of the day from the Commission and the day being played out in timelines was that NORAD didn't know where to send the scrambled aircraft until it was too late. And the FAA did not notify them immediately, which was supposedly standard procedure�standard procedure for when a transponder goes out, even. Chenney finally gave orders to shoot the planes after all of them had crashed. Listening to some of the FAA tapes make me a little uneasy. "You think we need to scramble some aircraft?/ Oh ... I don't know./ Well, that's a decision that's going to have to be made in the next ten minutes."

In any event, I think they are still questions to be asked, questions to be answered, administrations that need to go.

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 01:17 AM

I had never heard of this. To me this was completely unbelievable. I haven't seen F911 yet. But apparently after the first plane hit he decided to sit down for his photo op reading a children's book. After he was informed of the second plane, he continued reading for seven minutes. Is this right? Unbelievable. He is completely unsuited to be president.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by tie:
I had never heard of this. To me this was completely unbelievable. I haven't seen F911 yet. But apparently after the first plane hit he decided to sit down for his photo op reading a children's book. After he was informed of the second plane, he continued reading for seven minutes. Is this right? Unbelievable. He is completely unsuited to be president.
Yep, it's true. There's video of the whole thing, too. From outside the building to him leaving.

http://www.thememoryhole.org/911/bush-911.mov

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 01:43 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Come on�"My Pet Goat" is a tough read, guys.
Always the voice of reason, 'Fad Didn't Dostoevsky pen that one ??

Seriously, its hard to know what Bush was thinking at the time or what he knew/believed was actually going on so its hard to second guess what he did (maybe he was furiously pondering the issue and what his options were) I won't be voting for Bush this fall (same as in 2000) but this issue just isn't a critical make-or-break issue, IMO. Its the planned, calculated decisions he's made that scare me more than his 7 minute pause at the elementary school.

Atomic Rooster
Jun 28, 2004, 01:49 AM

Just watched the above clip that zachs posted. What the fuk was all that about? Is that how they teach nowadays? I wanted to shoot that teacher after about 15 seconds. That banging and monotone reading would have had me running out of that room screaming. Bush has no excuse for staying in there unless he was finally learning something. Anyways it drove me nuts.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:
Just watched the above clip that zachs posted. What the fuk was all that about? Is that how they teach nowadays? I wanted to shoot that teacher after about 15 seconds. That banging and monotone reading would have had me running out of that room screaming. Bush has no excuse for staying in there unless he was finally learning something. Anyways it drove me nuts.

They had to make sure to go nice and slow.

For Dubya.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2004, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
They had to make sure to go nice and slow.

For Dubya.
*rimshot*

Anyway, here's an article explaining some things.

Here's the Commission statement on NORAD and the FAA.

This makes me a little uneasy, as well. Both bits are the Air Defense tapes, I believe. The first may be the FAA, but I'm not sure now. I'm certain the second bit is. The second bit took place after all of the planes have crashed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules