Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So sad

So sad
tvbi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2004, 10:37 PM

Just sold my revB 12" and got a revC.. 2 dead pixels

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 11:49 PM

sucks.
i am about to buy a rev C 12"...
my first new pb (have a pismo...flawless, but...showing it's age).

shame we can't get better screens!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
shame we can't get better screens!
A few dead pixels are within spec for most LCDs. If they weren't, we'd be paying a LOT more for them.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by Person Man:
A few dead pixels are within spec for most LCDs. If they weren't, we'd be paying a LOT more for them.

yes, but...
my 2400c screen was flawless, my pismo screen (and my old biz partner's pismo screen) were flawless.

seems not unreasonable to want excellence in our powerbooks (especially considering what we spend on them)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

velodev
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 10:12 AM

Where are they located?

Have you tried taking a lint-free cloth and gently rubbing them with your finger? I have seen it fix some issues. Also, don't "new" LCD's sometime work their issues out over time?

I have three hot pixels on my 23" cinema. I don't see them all the time, but when they show having three bright green pixels is annoying.

tvbi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2004, 06:17 PM

1 right in the middle and about 2 inches from top, the other is 3 inches from the top and on the right side. They are dead.. black.. I tried to rub them.. still dead. They are both blue pixel.. so I only see two tiny tiny dot when the background is blue.. I can live with it.. but I want it to be perfect

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 06:28 PM

Thats the scarey part about upgrading for me.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
Yeah. EZ 4 U 2 say. Try being in that guy's shoes. Telling people LCD exceptable policies doesn't make anyone feel better.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 08:05 PM

yes, but...
my 2400c screen was flawless, my pismo screen (and my old biz partner's pismo screen) were flawless.

seems not unreasonable to want excellence in our powerbooks (especially considering what we spend on them)
As mentioned earlier, if they threw out all non perfect LCDs, you'd be paying even more. Are you trying to imply that most new PowerBook screens have dead pixels? FWIW, my last TiBook had no dead pixels and my current AluBook has none, and neither does one of my friends who has one of the newer 1.5GHz. You're more likely to hear about people that do have problems than those who don't.

tvbi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2004, 08:37 PM

my revB's screen was perfect.. but the dead pixels are not that noticeable

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 11:57 PM

you know, ive never owned a laptop with dead pixels, nor do i know a person in person with dead pixels. lets see, thats more than 17 computers. thats off the top of my head. thats:

9 post Steve's return macs
3 pre steve's return
1 post steve's PC
4 pre steve's return

the PCs are all owned by the same peerson, except one, and all of them are running linux. all the people i know are too smart to run windows.

my old ibook g4 that i got replaced with this powerbook had 2 i think, but that thing was the spawn of evil, no joke.

what couses dead pixels anyways??
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 05:05 AM

I have one dead pixel on my new PowerBook...I cant complain though,I got a great deal and its not that bad at all. But the bezel is separating a little on the top and bottom of the screen...This might cause a problem,so I guess I'll be without my PB for a few days again while its being repaired(I just hope it they dont scratch it on me!)
( Last edited by tekno_geek911; Jun 30, 2004 at 06:12 AM. )
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 05:56 AM

Dead pixels will tend to become more problematic to manufacturers as they squeeze more and more pixels into smaller spaces.

To make an LCD display, you take two bits of glass/plastic/polymer, and rub grooves into them. You then mount them so that the grooves on one are perpendicular to the grooves on the other, put them together, and fill the gap between with your liquid crystal of choice.

The LCs can all be persuaded to line up with each other ( and the grooves) using EM fields, and the alignment rotates 90 degrees between front panel and back. Shine a light through the back, and fiddling with the fields can make them align at will, which either allows light through (from the backlight) or doesn't.

Thats a black and white LCD.

How finely you can control the fields, basically decides how good the screen is.
I would think a dead pixel is one where the field can no longer be operated to toggle between on and off. You get whole lines of them sometimes with bad data cables.

Essentially each pixel has its own power cable which is on or off. These are fiddly little connections (you know how big a pixel is), and sometimes they break.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 10:12 AM

oh, ok. that makes sense. thanks for that explanation.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 01:36 PM

2 out the last 3 purchases had dead pixels. However some went away after some rubbing.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 10:42 PM

Apple's policy on "LCD display pixel anomalies."

Link
( Last edited by Dave Hagan; Jun 30, 2004 at 10:51 PM. )
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 11:45 PM

My Rev A Al15 is perfect (pixel-wise), but I have had a PDA with a stuck pixel and one stuck pixel on my 23" Cinema Display (which I bought before the price drops, no less) . Knowing that many (most?) screens have some sort of defect doesn't really help because you know that somewhere out there somebody paid as much as you and got one that's perfect. If all screens were defective that would make it easier to deal with, IMHO.

Moose
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 12:24 AM

You have received excellence. You seem to expect perfection, which you're not going to get.

Let's say your LCD is 1024x768. Multiply those together, and you get 786,432 pixels. For each pixel, you have three transistors, or 2,359,296 transistors, all in a grid, that you want to be perfect.

As Steve said, Apple's competitors buy the panels they reject (which is why, as you acknowledge yourself, you pay more), but there's no way Apple can maintain reasonable cost and demand ZERO BAD PIXELS. It's not going to happen with today's technology.

But, as Phillips/Magnavox likes to say, you have to admit it's getting better.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2004, 07:10 AM

Wait for the 30"ers. 4.1 million pixels? Theres gonna be dead ones.
And Steve said in his keynote that other manufacturers sell the LCDs which Apple reject. Imagine how bad they are.

I think theres a legal limit on dead pixels though. If you get 6 or more, you are entitled to a refund/replacement. Or something like that. I think.

Moose
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by Waragainstsleep:
I think theres a legal limit on dead pixels though. If you get 6 or more, you are entitled to a refund/replacement. Or something like that. I think.
Apple has a defined limit on the number of dead pixels for each size display, but I'm pretty sure it isn't statutory.

I'm not going to tell you what it is, but I will tell you that 2 dead pixels on a 12" PowerBook is not sufficient to warrant a replacement.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Moose:
You have received excellence. You seem to expect perfection, which you're not going to get.

Let's say your LCD is 1024x768. Multiply those together, and you get 786,432 pixels. For each pixel, you have three transistors, or 2,359,296 transistors, all in a grid, that you want to be perfect.

As Steve said, Apple's competitors buy the panels they reject (which is why, as you acknowledge yourself, you pay more), but there's no way Apple can maintain reasonable cost and demand ZERO BAD PIXELS. It's not going to happen with today's technology.

But, as Phillips/Magnavox likes to say, you have to admit it's getting better.
well i hear you, but...having gone thru 2 powerbooks with perfect displays, and had friends & biz partner with same, i'd like that in my new pb (and, it seems, have it!)

i want near-perfection!

Moose
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 08:38 AM

well i hear you, but...having gone thru 2 powerbooks with perfect displays, and had friends & biz partner with same, i'd like that in my new pb (and, it seems, have it!)

i want near-perfection!
You've received near-perfection. You want perfection every time, and you're not going to get it with today's technology.

Buy enough Apple displays and eventually you're going to get one that isn't perfect.

What makes Apple above the rest is that the average number is lower.

Forum Links
Forum Rules