Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > difference between server 10.2 and 10.3 ???

difference between server 10.2 and 10.3 ???
mastermind trev
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2004, 03:47 PM

Debating between a new xserve G5 and a older/openbox/refurbed xserve G4 (which are now quite affordable).

I have no experience with OSX server at all.. just wondering if the newer Panther server and a G5 processor is worth the premium ???

trev

OreoCookie
Jul 5, 2004, 11:55 PM

Could you describe what you want to do?
What are the services you want to offer?

Otherwise we cannot answer this question.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by mastermind trev:
Debating between a new xserve G5 and a older/openbox/refurbed xserve G4 (which are now quite affordable).

I have no experience with OSX server at all.. just wondering if the newer Panther server and a G5 processor is worth the premium ???

trev
10.3 server has TONS of improvements over 10.2. Manageability is a lot better, configuration is a lot easier, and the versions of all the tools (Perl, PHP, MySQL, etc.) are all newer. Upgrading these tools on your own (say, in 10.2) to get versions that aren't 2 years old will break all the GUI tools.

So... I unhesitatingly recommend 10.3 server over 10.2 server.

A G5 server is faster than a G4 server. Whether that's important for your use case is up to you. But... again... make sure you use Panther Server over Jag Server. NO question here.

mastermind trev  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2004, 11:40 AM

thanks for the advice !!!!!!

yes, just looking for a machine to be a web/ftp server for a couple fairly small, low hit web sites... but it would be nice to have something that's plenty fast and feature rich in case we want to do something more with it.

had an old powermac 8100/110 with a sonnett 400mhz g3 accel card in it, so i downloaded a copy of WebTen to run under os9.... although fine as an ftp server it was a bit slow for hosting a web site...... actually it was a lot slow!

thanks for the help!

trev

Forum Links
Forum Rules