Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > VLC breaks audio on G5

VLC breaks audio on G5
jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2004, 05:42 PM

I've been using VLC on my G5 since day one and haven't had any trouble with it until now. Whenever I use VLC now, the audio on my G5 quits working, and I have to reboot to get it back. It doesn't matter what type of file I try to play, it will kill the audio on the whole system. I don't have this problem at all on my Powerbook. I'm running 10.3.4 and the newest version of VLC.

Does anyone have a workaround for this, or perhaps a good replacement for VLC?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2004, 06:30 PM

Strange, no problem here on my G5...

Are you using the latest version of VLC?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2004, 07:57 PM

Yah, it's updated all the time... I knew that audio was updated in the last few updates.

jasonsRX7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2004, 11:03 AM

I'm running 0.7.2 of VLC, which is the current version. The last couple of versions I've tried have had the trouble. I don't remember the last version I used that didn't have the problem, but it was version 0.6.something, I think.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2004, 11:15 AM

Similar problem here on a 12" Powerbook with TASCAM US-428 audio interface.

I don't have to re-boot, but I do have to disconnect and power-cycle the interface before it will work again.

-s*

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2004, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Similar problem here on a 12" Powerbook with TASCAM US-428 audio interface.

I don't have to re-boot, but I do have to disconnect and power-cycle the interface before it will work again.

-s*
Apple changed the CoreAudio API in 10.3
Since than it has become apparent VLC uses CoreAudio incorrectly (That's what you get when their isn't any API documentation)

VLC should be switched to use AUHAL as it's core for audio output. However we currently lack developers that have knowledge about this and also have 5:1 stereo/cards to test such a core.

See also the many threads in forum.videolan.org on this subject.

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

jasonsRX7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2004, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the replies. Is there a possible workaround for this issue? I'm not having the problem on my Powerbook running 10.3, it's only on my G5 running 10.3, and even on the G5 it has only recently become a problem.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2004, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by jasonsRX7:
Thanks for the replies. Is there a possible workaround for this issue? I'm not having the problem on my Powerbook running 10.3, it's only on my G5 running 10.3, and even on the G5 it has only recently become a problem.
DJ please correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know this problem only occurs if you have/use digital sound output!
I am not very familiar with the G5 since I don't have one but if you also have an analog sound port you should use this one as a workaround!(?)

summary
-------
problem yes: OS 10.3 + digital sound (G5 optical, M-Audio Interfaces and soundcards, ...)

problem no: OS 10.2 + digital sound or OS 10.3 + analog sound

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2004, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by The DJ:
Apple changed the CoreAudio API in 10.3
Since than it has become apparent VLC uses CoreAudio incorrectly (That's what you get when their isn't any API documentation)

VLC should be switched to use AUHAL as it's core for audio output. However we currently lack developers that have knowledge about this and also have 5:1 stereo/cards to test such a core.

See also the many threads in forum.videolan.org on this subject.
The real question is how do we get The DJ to commit to working on VLC? Money?

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2004, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
The real question is how do we get The DJ to commit to working on VLC? Money?
He needs a digital sound device!

jasonsRX7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2004, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by badidea:
I am not very familiar with the G5 since I don't have one but if you also have an analog sound port you should use this one as a workaround!(?)

summary
-------
problem yes: OS 10.3 + digital sound (G5 optical, M-Audio Interfaces and soundcards, ...)

problem no: OS 10.2 + digital sound or OS 10.3 + analog sound
I'm not using the digital output on my G5. I have a regular pair of analog Klipsch speakers plugged in. Does that matter, or does just having a digital output device cause the problem?

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2004, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by jasonsRX7:
I'm not using the digital output on my G5. I have a regular pair of analog Klipsch speakers plugged in. Does that matter, or does just having a digital output device cause the problem?
As I said, I am not sure with the G5 because I have a QS G4 with the M-Audio Revolution card! I only have problems if I want to play AC3 sound through the digital output of the Revolution - build-in analog speakers and analog output of the Revolution work fine (you have to deactivate "use SPDIF output if available" in VLC prefs though!(?)

JonLech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2004, 10:33 AM

I've committed a fix for the "failed to set buffer size: [nope]" issue.

Please test the latest nightly build and provide feedback.
Jon Lech Johansen
VideoLAN developer

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2004, 10:35 AM

Can folks please try

http://xserve.via.ecp.fr/~videolan/m...0406120324.dmg

It has a fix that might work for the failed to set buffer size: [nope]" problem. Not sure if it also works for all G5 problems, but if this improves usuability for a lot of folks, i will make a intermediate 0.7.2a release that will be like 0.7.2 but with upgraded audio support. Since the 0.7.3 is slated for late august at the earliest.

DJ

[edit]You beat me to it jlj [/edit]

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

jasonsRX7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 01:10 PM

FWIW, I tried it out but it didn't fix my audio problem. VLC opened, and played the file, video was fine but there was no audio, and it killed the audio on the whole system. Rebooting brings the audio back. Also, I did delete everything relating to VLC before using this version.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2004, 01:34 PM

I have the exact same problem with HDTV .ts files only. Change CoreAudio from -1 to 1 to get it to work. I still haven't actually tried it with a digital audio box (like from M-Audio).

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

JonLech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2004, 02:50 PM

I've committed a fix for the no audio on AC3 over SPDIF issue. Please test build 2004 06 14.
Jon Lech Johansen
VideoLAN developer

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2004, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by JonLech:
I've committed a fix for the no audio on AC3 over SPDIF issue. Please test build 2004 06 14.
I love you, will you marry me?
Damn, this works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Quicksilver G4, M-Audio Revolution 7.1, OS 10.3.4)

( Last edited by badidea; Jun 16, 2004 at 10:45 AM. )

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2004, 04:58 PM

With my G5, I've noticed that when the audio drops out I can log out and log back in to get it to work again, no need to reboot.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

jasonsRX7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 10:04 AM

I'll have to try logging out to get the audio back, if I ever have to run VLC again. I've been having to use my Powerbook to play WMV files with VLC, since it won't work on my G5. Are there any other multi format media players that work as well as VLC used to?

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2004, 12:54 PM

MPlayer works well, too. Not as robust as VLC, but it still supports a lot of media formats.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 02:56 PM

Instead of everybody just sitting behind his G5 expecting everything to work, how about some people actually try to help.
If there were several G5 users actually helping out on this issue it would help a lot. The developers don't have access to a G5, so it's pretty much working in the dark. It is Free an Open Source Software folks. jlj could simply needs shell access or something to debug this issue and get it working.

C.
http://forum.videolan.org

DJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules