Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 15" and keyboard flex

New 15" and keyboard flex
MSME
Sep 23, 2003, 08:10 PM

I picked up a new 15" Powerbook on Saturday, and I've just noticed something odd with the keyboard. When I use any of the keys to the upper left of the keyboard, especially the escape and brightness keys, that corner of the keyboard flexes a LOT. It's almost like the keyboard is glued down, and that corner is coming loose (I have no idea how the keyboard is actually attached). Anyone else having this problem too?
Black MacBook C2D 2.0 Ghz, stock, Powerbook 15" 1Ghz (Al), iPhone 8 GB

Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2004, 01:03 PM

Same problem here, mine is on the same three keys. If I press the keys hard enough, it's like glue takes hold but then 30 minutes later the keyboard is back to normal.

I must say that unless you press any of those three keys you wouldn't notice anything. My only thoughts are that this machine is two weeks old and has a good two years ahead of itself and is it going to get worse.

Anyone else got the problem (if that's the correct word).

geekwagon
Senior User
Jul 12, 2004, 01:48 PM

The keyboard is basically glued down, because the layer for the backlit keyboard has to come between the keyboard and the casing. I had this same problem and had to send it in to Apple. They basically replaced the keyboard and got it stuck down that time. What happens is that they didn't get the keyboard on quite evenly and got a "bubble" in the double-sided tape they use.

Sometimes it helps if you push down on the keys pretty hard (not hard enough to break anything though.) When it first started happening I was able to keep them stuck down for a few days at a time doing that.

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2004, 04:45 PM

I'd get it repaired. No matter how hard you press down, its always going to pop back up. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did with my first 1.25Ghz AluPB. Apple replaced it because after four replacement keyboards and two top covers they still couldn't fix the keyboard. Every time it was in a different spot. The first time was upper left, then upper right, then lower right and the last time the entire upper half of the keyboard backlight failed. The last time the keyboard was replaced, it was done in the Apple Store (Chestnut Hill, MA) since they were recently authorized to preform some repairs on powerbooks including the keyboard. Since it didn't have to be shipped out, I was only without it for a day, and when it was replaced in-store there was no buckling, just no backlight either! From what I've read on these forums, it is a relatively common problem. My keyboard buckling got to the point where the keys touched the screen, so I convinced Apple to give me a new 1.5Ghz! The double-pressing sound will drive you crazy and I suggest getting it fixed. Although everyone has a bad service story, I've found Apple's service to be above average. I'd suggest bringing it to an Apple Store if you are near one so that they can look at it, document the problem, make any other notations about the condition of the computer so Apple doesn't charge you for abuse (although they've done it twice with mine, even with the perfect checkup at the Apple Store before it was shipped out) and also have it shipped back to the store, so that you can check it out in front of a genius. If they don't do the repair in-store they ship the computer overnight mail, so service is fast. Goodluck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules