Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Star Trek XI

Star Trek XI
starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2004, 09:04 AM

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 09:26 AM

<shakes head in disbelief>

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2004, 11:28 AM

Oh yeah!!

Berman gave little away about the plot of the film, but he did say it would be a prequel.

At the moment Berman is developing a totally new science fiction series with fellow Star Trek: Enterprise creator Brannon Braga.
So a new Star Trek series and a new movie? Awesome!

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2004, 11:33 AM

Star Trek XI: Just when you thought this franchise had hit rock bottom.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2004, 11:39 AM

I don't believe it's a new Trek series, just a new sci-fi one. Perhaps they feel a bit left behind with the success of previous Trek producers' shows.

KrazyEvilGoat
Banned
Jul 12, 2004, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Oh yeah!!

So a new Star Trek series and a new movie? Awesome!
I believe he meant that the series will not be Trek.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2004, 12:20 PM

Didn't we already have a prequel with "First Contact" (sort of)? Oh well, I hope it's not an Enterprise movie. I'd love to see a movie based on the creation of the Borg.

On a related note, does anyone remember the Simpsons episode where "Star Trek XI: Past My Bedtime" (or something like that) was on TV? Screen grab here (look at the center pic and the bottom right pic).

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2004, 02:39 PM

So why doesnt anyone else like Star Trek? I think it is great!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2004, 02:46 PM

The original was great because it was original. Now they are just trying to make money off the franchise with incredibly stupid movies.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2004, 02:49 PM

NOW is the time to take that storyline from the season one cliffhanger and make a film out of it. FINALLY! That would be a GREAT idea.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

KrazyEvilGoat
Banned
Jul 12, 2004, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
The original was great because it was original. Now they are just trying to make money off the franchise with incredibly stupid movies.
Whats wrong with that? Aren't all sequels/tv series done for the same reason?

Frankly I not much interested in the movie, but I do enjoy Enterprise and I hope it doesn't get shelved because of this new series.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 12, 2004, 04:17 PM

This is so last week

http://www.trektoday.com/news/090704_04.shtml

"The Romulan Wars are tipped to be the subject of the next Star Trek feature film.

Enterprise executive producer Brannon Braga reportedly told the Star Trek Communicator that the series may not be able to feature the Romulan Wars because of a possible clash with the upcoming movie.

"It's certainly one of the things that we've been discussing," Braga reportedly said. "But there's also a prequel feature in development regarding the Romulan Wars, so we might have to stay away from that." In the same magazine, franchise head honcho Rick Berman said Trek XI would be set before the time of Kirk, but would not be connected with Enterprise.

The first sighting of the Romulans came in the second-season episode, "Minefield", in which the NX-01 inadvertantly strayed into Romulan territory. According to established Star Trek lore, the Romulan Neutral Zone was established in 2160 after a long war between Earth and the Romulans. With "Zero Hour" taking place in 2154, the Romulan Wars could conceivably take place during Enterprise's run.

Braga also discussed the storylines in development for Enterprise's fourth season, including the return of the Temporal Cold War. "One thing we're discussing is possibly blowing the lid off the Temporal Cold War once and for all," he reportedly said. "That's probably something we'll do in this first storyline. I can't say that for sure, because we're just getting into it. But I'd really like to resolve that and put a cap on it. It would be a nice thing to do after three seasons of teasing it along."

The foundation of the Federation could also start to figure heavily in the series. "There are going to be some major interstellar events and conflicts happening that could involve the forming of the federation. We're going to see more of what's going on back at Earth. We might see something dealing with the Eugenics Wars."

To read the complete interviews with Rick Berman and Brannon Braga, pick up the latest issue of the Star Trek Communicator. Thanks to 'guyute03' for providing these excerpts!"

"Hello, what have we here?

nate_02
Senior User
Jul 12, 2004, 05:01 PM

I used to watch star trek quite a bit. My favorite series was the next generation, I really didn't watch star trek past that. i kinda hope a new movie would have that cast in it.
-nate

OSX Abuser
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2004, 05:17 PM

Berman and Bragga need to walk away from Star Trek.
If they had any vision in the begining, it is gone by now.
Reality is the playground of the unimaginative

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 05:32 PM

Hey, I still like Star Trek in many of its different forms. Aside from obvious plot holes (that exist in almost all films), Nemesis was one of my fav Trek films.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2004, 05:40 PM

Awesome news! Now if they do it right, it could be bigger then the last few flicks! I am happy now.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 12, 2004, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
Hey, I still like Star Trek in many of its different forms. Aside from obvious plot holes (that exist in almost all films), Nemesis was one of my fav Trek films.
Nemesis was interesting but far to dark, nothing went right for anyone and it was actually very depressing.

The costumes and creative direction was some of the best I have ever seen in any movie though.

"Hello, what have we here?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2004, 06:08 PM

Meh, I could never get into the series. The shows, the movies, anything.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
Nemesis was interesting but far to dark, nothing went right for anyone and it was actually very depressing.

The costumes and creative direction was some of the best I have ever seen in any movie though.
I didn't mind it being dark, though. Reminded me of the better original Trek films, or when the writing on Voyager and DS9 was good (episodes with the Borg; battles with the Dominion). Still, no one was happy that Data died.

And I completely agree about the costumes and the creative direction. The colours suited the film's various moods perfectly, and the costumes were top-notch for Trek.

Parky
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 06:17 PM

I enjoyed Nemesis, but then I like all Star Trek (except DS9)

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

coolmacdude
Senior User
Jul 12, 2004, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by OSX Abuser:
Berman and Bragga need to walk away from Star Trek.
If they had any vision in the begining, it is gone by now.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2004, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
I didn't mind it being dark, though. Reminded me of the better original Trek films, or when the writing on Voyager and DS9 was good (episodes with the Borg; battles with the Dominion). Still, no one was happy that Data died.
First Contact was really dark without being depressing.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Myriad
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2004, 11:38 PM

I've always been of the opinion that the costuming in Nemesis was one of the worst aspects of an already poor movie. The Reman costume design put rather tight uniforms on average sized actors, making them look rather small and unimpressive, not the strong shock troops that we are told they are.

Shinzons's costume was actually painful for me to look at. You could actually hear the material rubbing against itself as he moved, and it was so overlarge that the actor couldn't really move naturally in it. And the shoulders, blech. Why the hell a man who launches a coup in the heart of the Romulan Empire needs those big arching shoulder pads on his person is beyond me. The whole shiny black getup was just cheesy.
Have you seen me?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2004, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by Myriad:
I've always been of the opinion that the costuming in Nemesis was one of the worst aspects of an already poor movie. The Reman costume design put rather tight uniforms on average sized actors, making them look rather small and unimpressive, not the strong shock troops that we are told they are.

Shinzons's costume was actually painful for me to look at. You could actually hear the material rubbing against itself as he moved, and it was so overlarge that the actor couldn't really move naturally in it. And the shoulders, blech. Why the hell a man who launches a coup in the heart of the Romulan Empire needs those big arching shoulder pads on his person is beyond me. The whole shiny black getup was just cheesy.
Well they had to keep the broad shoulders on the uniforms because that is a romulan trademark.

I loved all the uniforms, Shinsons looked like a beetles shell.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2004, 12:35 AM

Didn't the B5 creator come up with an idea for a Star Trek series?

THAT would be impressive! Think B5 deepness and amazing plotness, mixed in with the budget and set design abilities of Star Trek. Star Trek has always been one of the coolest shows out there as far as look goes, the only problem is what that look should be, and what not. They have tons of creative people, just bad writers.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by hyperb0le:
On a related note, does anyone remember the Simpsons episode where "Star Trek XI: Past My Bedtime" (or something like that) was on TV? Screen grab here (look at the center pic and the bottom right pic).
Star Trek 12: So Very Tired.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/kingbo...ff/12part1.wav

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/kingbo...ff/12part2.wav

OH-N'omac
Jul 13, 2004, 12:49 AM

I think it is great!
Ahhhhhh! Ahhhhhh! Ahhhhhh-ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Didn't the B5 creator come up with an idea for a Star Trek series?

THAT would be impressive! Think B5 deepness and amazing plotness, mixed in with the budget and set design abilities of Star Trek. Star Trek has always been one of the coolest shows out there as far as look goes, the only problem is what that look should be, and what not. They have tons of creative people, just bad writers.
Yes, he did. I agree.

I grew watching the reruns of the original Star Trek, and the first airing of The Next Generation. After that, the only seres thar piqued my interests were Deep Space Nine and Enterprise.

I would love to see a series of features focusing on the Eart-Romulan War and the birth of the Federation (which Archer is said to be a part).

Forum Links
Forum Rules