Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Sony CLIE'

Sony CLIE'
wetstuff
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 09:54 AM

I got one for my wife: "It's too small and fussy."

I gave it to my daughter - who uses the Dark OS.

I have the software link (Mac to CLIE') to give away.

Jim
[email protected]

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2004, 01:02 AM

Is there anyone that can give me this Mac-to-Clie link?

I just sent off some items in trade for a Clie without knowing that the PDA would not have the ability to readily synch with a Mac. I just assumed that anything that ran the PalmOS would work with the palm application on the Mac. So I really need this.
Thanks.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 08:01 AM

I just sent off some items in trade for a Clie without knowing that the PDA would not have the ability to readily synch with a Mac. I just assumed that anything that ran the PalmOS would work with the palm application on the Mac. So I really need this.
You didn't say which model Clie you're getting, but try before you buy... You may not need additional software. My Clie TJ-25 syncs with iCal/Address Book just fine using Apple's iSync. To use MS Entourage or Palm Desktop 4.x (neither of which are as bad as some will tell you), you do need third-party software, which works wonderfully.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2004, 10:21 AM

The Clie is a PEG-s360, and I am on a G3 iBook so probably can�t use Apple�s iSynch. The combination is pretty unsupported now, thus my request for the Mac-to-Clie link that Wetstuff mentioned above. I certainly want to try everything possible before buying a $40 CD to run a $32 PDA.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2004, 12:33 PM

i would try sync-ing first before buying any software. my (i think it was) sj-20 sync'd with my ibook and palm desktop just fine.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Forbodium:
The Clie is a PEG-s360, and I am on a G3 iBook so probably can�t use Apple�s iSynch.
We wouldn't it work with your iBook ?

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2004, 11:49 PM

man i had a tj-415 that "needed" the missing sync stuff

well i was syncing it with my old 266mhz imac

no problems at all

so ya seriously try to sync it, it should work
w3rd..
surrey represent

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2004, 08:58 AM

Right now, I can�t synch the Clie with the Palm Desktop 2.6.3 that came pre-loaded on my iBook. Could this be due to the Clie having PalmOS 4.0 on it? I am running extensions called �PalmConnect� USB�, �PalmConnect� USBSerialHAL�, �PalmConnect� USBSerialShim�.

I downloaded the installer for Palm 4.2.1 desktop for MacOS9. It suggests that I do a hotsynch before installing. Because of this, I�m guessing that all of my contacts, notes, appointments, events etc on the Desktop 2.6.3 could be erased once I install Desktop 4.2.1. Is that a good guess? If so, is there any way to save these entries so that I can automatically add them into the 4.2.1 desktop?

Once I do install 4.2.1 desktop on my Mac, should it (theoretically) work with my Clie, or would I need to get PalmOS 4.2.1 onto the Clie too?

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2004, 10:34 PM

no your clie should be fine for the palm os
the desktop is just a newer version, both numbers aren't related

the only thing i can think of is to archive all the palm data, like calanders and contacts etc. then stuff it with StuffIT or .zip it

that way you will have it all saved, not touched at all if something happens
w3rd..
surrey represent

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2004, 03:55 PM

I have not been able to even run my iBook 600 on the OSX version it came with (10.1) very well, let alone have success with a hotsync (I don�t have iCal or Apple�s iSync, although I did find an iSync 1.3.1 by a company call BlueDays Software - The documentation mentions web designers as the product�s primary market).

So I want to sync running OS9.2.2 (unless someone can help me get iCal and iSync for OS X.1.

When I try to hotsync with Palm Desktop 2.6.3, I get the following dialog message:
<i>Software needed for the USB device �Palm Handheld� is not available. Would you like to look for the software on the internet?</i>

On the dialog message is an icon for a USB extension.

Is this just telling me that there is no USB extension for the Clie, or am I missing an important Palm file? If I broke down and bought MissingSync, would I still have problems?

Anyone know of anything else I can try in OS9.2.2 to sync my Clie?

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2004, 01:43 AM

did u install the new palm desktop?
it should still be workin for os9
w3rd..
surrey represent

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2004, 10:55 PM

I did, but I still get the same error message.

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2004, 12:28 AM

One thing that seems weird is that when I go to anything under the Hotsync menu (in the Palm Destop app), I get a dialog box saying that �Hotsync Manager cannot be found�, but it is surely there, right in the �Palm� folder that was installed. Is this any clue as to what might be wrong?

webb3201
Senior User
Jul 21, 2004, 10:19 AM

we seem to be dragging this out. Check out the Missing Sync from Markspace software. It does cost around 30.00, but is well worth the price.

You will be able to handle the normal sync options, and you will be able to mount the clie on the desktop, place pictures into iPhoto easily and transfer songs to the clie through iTunes (like an iPod). I highly recommend the software.

The rule of thumb used to be that any clie with a digital signal processor for MP3s could not sync. clies without MP3s generally could. I bit the bullet on Markspace and have been super happy.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2004, 11:25 AM

My Clie, the s360, does not have a sound-out jack and was a budget PDA when it was produced in 2002, so I have assume that it does not have an MP3 capability.

Markspace website says that MissingSync CANNOT mount my Clie on the desktop - So is the software still worth buying? Will it solve my hotsync problems AND allow me to load apps and files onto my Clie from my OS 9.2.2 Mac? Please keep in mind that I have never owned a mac-syncable PDA before.

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2004, 06:06 PM

I finally got it to hotsync with PalmDesktop 4.1 in OSX.

I knew I didn�t need that MissingSync...at least not for hotsyncing.

Now I just need to learn how to install apps on this Clie and I�ll be in business! Although I really wish I could sync in OS 9.2.2.

Thanks for all the help. Ezpecially to Smic (thanks dude!).

Forum Links
Forum Rules