Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Customizing OS X redux

Customizing OS X redux (Page 9)
zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2001, 12:18 PM

I believe that www.ResExcellence.com will be releasing a theme called glass tomorrow (Thrs.), and if Synotic will release his Platinum theme, there are two. Starfleet., if you are reading this, please e-mail me back. I have e-mailed you a couple of times and haven't heard from you.

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

themexican
Jun 27, 2001, 03:14 PM

I am sure the are . . people have to be done with stuff by now! Raul? Its been a long time!

Yeah... I SHOULD be done, but I basically gave up on OS X... I just found myself being too frustrated by the speed (or lack of it), the HI, the anti-aliased text, and lack of native apps. I tried to do all my work in X, but I kept having to switch back (for Final Cut Pro, and CD burning) and every time I switched back I found I was much happier and productive in OS 9 because I could set up things exactly the way i wanted and all my apps work.

So the long and the short of it is I haven't been working on my themes and probably won't start again until I switch over again. My switch will probably take place when one or more of the following happens: X is as fast as 9, X gets some major HI improvements, Native Photoshop, Native Office, Native Final Cut Pro, or some other great OS-X only killer app... I've got my fingers crossed that we'll see some of this at Macworld, but over the years I've learned to lower my expectations....

Anyway there are a bunch of people out there working on themes and as the tools get better, you will see lots more of them...

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: themexican ]

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2001, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by themexican:
<STRONG>So the long and the short of it is I haven't been working on my themes and probably won't start again until I switch over again. </STRONG>
Sorry to lose you! I feel the exact same way. I will get new apps as the come out for X - put in a theme or two . . .but when it comes down to it, I am still using OS 9.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

neoTony
Jun 27, 2001, 08:14 PM

I'm a scheme designer from the dark ages (back in Kaleidoscope 1 days, when we had to write WDEFs for custom window shapes), and am quite interested in putting some of my older, alpha-mask based designs into action under X. I just purchased a DP G4/533, so I'm raring to get into some coding and designing, and I'd love to make a theme.

Could some kind soul tell me where I can get (or send me!) Theminator, Sprockets, or any other tool that will let me edit X themes?

thanks

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: neoTony ]

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2001, 09:46 AM

ResExcellence has posted a new theme today.

It looks OK, not to sure about the paw print for an Apple menu though.

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: Mediaman_12 ]

+ spiral +
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2001, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
<STRONG>It looks OK, not to sure about the paw print for an Apple menu though.
[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: Mediaman_12 ]</STRONG>
Is that a mock-up image or is there really no dropshadow text in the theme?

jf

rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2001, 10:55 AM

I personally still prefer starfleetX's cool, original Iridium theme removing the ugly Aqua stripes, hoping that there will be a blue version of the menu highlights.

Mongrel
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2001, 11:09 AM

Thanks for sending the theme, o anonymous good-doers. Now STOP!!

hehheh

- [email protected]

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: Mongrel ]
Grrr...rawr.

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2001, 11:57 AM

I would also like the Iridium theme of Starfleet's!! Also, if you would like some beta testing of themes, I currently only use X and love to theme it so send them my way!!
[email protected]

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

themexican
Jun 28, 2001, 05:41 PM

ResExcellence has posted a new theme today.

It looks OK, not to sure about the paw print for an Apple menu though

I don't know if he did it for this reason, but Mr. Rabe by putting the pawprint up there was neatly avoiding using Apple copyrighted images. And as we all know Apple doesn't want people who make X themes to use any apple copyrighted images.

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2001, 07:09 PM

I think that new theme is pretty ugly. The drastic gradients in the menu bar make it difficult to read and the widgets have a clunky look to them. Primus needs to release his theme as it appeared quite elegant and useable from the previews he gave us...

Where art thou, Primus?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Primus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2001, 04:23 AM

Originally posted by krove:
<STRONG>Where art thou, Primus? </STRONG>

Don't worry, I am here
I often read you guys, but I am very busy at work and wasn't at home recently, so MetalX didn't improved
I wanted to create new buttons in MetalX, with a liquid metal look (a little like mercury and no gelly) but I gave up cause I made beautiful buttons in Photoshop but they become uuuugly when the work is saved into #pxms. I tried indexed colors, grey, modified colors etc, but finally they don't look the same as I created them.
It is very strange how the System alters some colors in themes. For example you cannot make a picture darker than its mask, or the colors are screwed up

So... OK, I will release my theme very soon, as it is now. With no stripes but with Aqua buttons and Aqua tabs. Actually I don't like stripes very much but I like aqua buttons...
Keep in mind that it is a functional theme but things need to be improved, like the mini widgets wich are still Aqua.

What do you all think ? Should I release it via ResExcellence ?

<OoklaTheMok>
Jun 29, 2001, 02:03 PM

Just so you know, ResExcellence will not post any themes that have even one element lifted straight from the default Aqua. This is the only way they can avoid Apple's ire.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2001, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by zeebe:
<STRONG>Starfleet., if you are reading this, please e-mail me back. I have e-mailed you a couple of times and haven't heard from you.:</STRONG>
Sorry about that, I've been out of town for over a week. I'll check it and get back to you when I get home later tonight.

I am sure the are . . people have to be done with stuff by now! Raul? Its been a long time!

Sorry, but I'm with Raul. I too SHOULD be done with Iridium, but I have also become disenchanted with OS X and migrated back to 9 as my primary OS. I need my CD burner for regular backups. I need desperately to be able to easily identify hoards of files I'm working with (re: LABELS or some other metadata). I need speed in my UI. I too need Final Cut Pro; I don't use it constantly, but I do use it at least every other day. I need to be able to look at my screen for several hours without getting a headache from the bad antialiasing and aqua crap.

Now, 10.0.4 helped with the UI in a few places. I am convinced that many of the readers on these boards experienced a placebo effect regarding 10.0.4, but I did indeed try and document several tests (having fixed the binding on my own, knowing that would also increase speed) before and after the update. There are some increases in speed and performance of the UI; I can post my results if anyone disputes that. Still, the whole implementation of Quartz is clunky even on my DP500G4. I did find that magical switch to turn off all text antialiasing (yes, even the menubar, Finder, and so forth), but that just makes things look ugly in many places and doesn't make anything faster at all. I've played with TinkerTool, but it doesn't solve all my issues. The work on my Iridium theme (which someone has even gone so far as to complain about me stealing the name! ) was the little respite I got from Aqua's stripes and bright blue and white glow. Alas, even the work I did creating Iridium was done mostly in Classic (in Photoshop and Resorcerer-- don't even THINK about mentioning that rediculous $128 upgrade to 2.4).

I also burn data and audio CD's on a regular basis. I work on several large projects that I can't risk not keeping regular backups. Apple refuses to support my one-year-old CD burner in any version of iTunes; so, that isn't an option for music under OS X or 9. I need to use Toast, and until Apple can fix the kernel and IOKit so Roxio can release an update, I'll be stuck in OS 9 for that too.

Furthermore, the aforementioned projects I work on often consist of a hundred files or more. I rely heavily on OS 9's labels to quickly identify groups of files and folders. And no, renaming them or putting groups in folders is not an option. Apple really needs to get to work with allowing metadata like labels in OS X.

I look forward (hesitantly) to any update we may get later in July. I suspect the 10.1 update will fix a number of my issues, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Also, I've heard from some sources (more reliable than this board) that 10.1 will bring changes to the interface and may therefore change the structure of Extras.rsrc and other files. Thus, I've put my "theming" on a backburner. Don't think I've given up and jumped ship completely; I just need to be able to do work on my computer other than google at OS X's cool interface and smooth multitasking (which I'll admit I do love).

In any case, it sounds like there are several more people insterested in themes now. Hopefully you'll all start releasing your own works of art soon to free other Mac users from the horror that is Aqua.

Regards,
Brad Smith
starfleetX

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2001, 04:29 AM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
<STRONG>The work on my Iridium theme (which someone has even gone so far as to complain about me stealing the name! ) was the little respite I got from Aqua's stripes and bright blue and white glow.</STRONG>
I sure hope you aren't referring to me and that topic concerning changing the color of selected menus. If so you know that was a joke and that I even mentioned that I came up with it before but never mentioned it at all? I hope you don't think I was truly accusing you of anything. I thought ium was available to everyone such as my Titanium theme? BTW, I have decided not to widely distribute my Platinum theme as it is *only* beta. There is only a few things that need to be changed. I have seen cases where people show off lesser known themes as their own or give the link to them as if they are final. Well I will be branding the theme in certain areas saying "Platinum X BETA -- [email protected]" or something to that effect. Anyways, you can show shots and say bugs, but please don't distribute the theme or send it to any news site. I don't mind giving shots to other forums and the like though. Anyways, e-mail me at:

[email protected]

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2001, 02:55 PM

Hey guys,

Here's a screenshot of an extremely early version of the platinum theme i'm working on. Seeing as i've started so late in the game (yesterday) it's kind of pointless. It'll probably turn out just like everyone else's platinum theme.

anyway, here' the url: http://homepage.mac.com/gthyb/preview.jpg

-Ryan

question to others working on a platinum theme: if you are keeping the OS9-style lines in the title bar of windows (i haven't decided if mine are staying), how do you keep buttons that are inactive from covering up the lines? I may be doing this wrong, but right now my inactive buttons are the same color as an inactive title bar, but in a window that doesn't have a resize button, for example, i have a grey square where the resize button is covering the lines. I may have to make a screen shot if it if i'm being confusing.

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2001, 03:37 PM

well, my two-day delve into theming proved quite difficult. i'm already bailing out of my os 9 theme. i'm sure a good one will show up eventually. i just edited "glass" to have an apple in the corner instead of a paw print, and i'm using that for now.

-Ryan

StarfleetX, where can i download your theme, again?

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2001, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by gthyb:
<STRONG>well, my two-day delve into theming proved quite difficult. i'm already bailing out of my os 9 theme. i'm sure a good one will show up eventually. i just edited "glass" to have an apple in the corner instead of a paw print, and i'm using that for now.

-Ryan

StarfleetX, where can i download your theme, again?</STRONG>
Well I'm glad your bailing out as you showed this right as I semi-released my theme. I think I kinda know what you mean about the inactive thing, but just kinda. Take a look at my theme and you'll see what I did. Also, you know that your tool bar button doesn't follow the look the other buttons have? You should have made gradients as with mine. I just realized that you can't see my widget at all in that shot anyways, e-mail me and I'll send you my theme.

theoden
Jul 1, 2001, 04:31 PM

Hey everyone.
Just thought I'd let all of you who are interested have a peek at the theme I'm working on, "Boing." I only started theming a couple days ago too =). It should probally be finished in a few days anyway, I'm working on it in my spare time and then some. So far the menubars, title bars, and scrollbars are finished and arnt bug-riden .
It loosely fits the colortheme on MacOSGeeks.com

Anywho... here's the goods:

"Boing"

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2001, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
<STRONG> e-mail me and I'll send you my theme.</STRONG>
Anyone get Synotics theme yet?
Change your world and you will change your mind.

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2001, 12:50 AM

Nope, I e-mailed him too and have not heard back from him, I think he might be setting up a mass e-mail so he doesn't have to keep doing it over and over again, but who knows. Has anyone tried his Key Lime theme from his itools site? I can't get it to work.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2001, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by theoden:
<STRONG>Hey everyone.
Just thought I'd let all of you who are interested have a peek at the theme I'm working on, "Boing." I only started theming a couple days ago too =). It should probally be finished in a few days anyway, I'm working on it in my spare time and then some. So far the menubars, title bars, and scrollbars are finished and arnt bug-riden .
It loosely fits the colortheme on MacOSGeeks.com

Anywho... here's the goods:

"Boing"</STRONG>
A few days? I seriously doubt it. I mean what you changed is about 5 resources I also got the windows and menus fairly done in about a day but the rest is taking forever. Oh yeah, about my Platinum theme. I had it all ready and stuffed and was going to just send the beta as is but then I tested and realized there were 3 more things I wanted to change. Basically they were:

� List header buttons
� Fix the throbbing on default buttons.
� Sliders, sliders, sliders

I decided to get these all finished. Anyways now I need to change 2 resources in the sliders then fix the List header buttons. You can expect to be e-mailed tommorow afternoon. Again sorry for the delay.

[email protected]

theoden
Jul 2, 2001, 03:03 AM

<STRONG>A few days? I seriously doubt it. I mean what you changed is about 5 resources </STRONG>

Chill dude, it's all good

edit: Just opened 'er up and counted . I've edited 55 resources exactly thank you very much .

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: theoden ]

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jul 2, 2001, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by theoden:
<STRONG>Anywho... here's the goods:

"Boing"</STRONG>
Spiffy! This is the first theme I've seen to use a background color that's appreciably different from white/light grey... I guess we're about to find out which applications are really Appearance-savvy in OS X and which just look like Aqua. Already the menubar clock is showing problems...

Oh, by the way, I see you liked my folder icons! Nice to see someone using them.

iBabo
Senior User
Jul 2, 2001, 06:16 PM

:::::......waiting anxiously for synotics platinum theme......pressing get new mail in mail.app every 30 seconds ....::::::::

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: iBabo ]
smile like you mean it.

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2001, 10:09 PM

i am anxiously awaiting synotics theme as well...

one of my BIGGEST complaints about aqua is the scroll bars.. they are just soooo ugly... i hate how theyre rounded too. all these platinum themes i keep seeing pictures of, the thing im drooling over MOST is having normal looking scroll bars! but everyone keeps NOT releasing their platinum theme.

synotic, i really hope you get this thing out the door tomorrow, cuz im really looking forward to it!

ps my email is [email protected] if you didnt get me added to your people-to-send-theme-to list.
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2001, 10:21 PM

Synotic, is your Ti theme ready? I really want that one.
I�ve used and early beta, but it had some graphic problems.

<pfflam>
Jul 2, 2001, 10:49 PM

Has anybody made an OS 7 theme?

And how does one apply a theme once its acquired?

iBabo
Senior User
Jul 3, 2001, 12:34 AM

anyone gotten the platinum theme yet?
just askin
smile like you mean it.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2001, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by &lt;pfflam&gt;:
<STRONG>Has anybody made an OS 7 theme?

And how does one apply a theme once its acquired?</STRONG>
I was thinking of making an OS 7 theme, it wouldn't really be that hard just working over my current theme. But basically all OS 7 themes and Lisa themes are novelties. Does anyone really use them full-time? If you insist I can get started on one. Once you download a theme get MetaMorphX Pro

About my theme, give me one more hour and I should have my theme uploaded and sent okay? Anyways, I am off to finish it up. I know this is a beta but everytime I look it over to see if anything is screwed I find one more aqua element I want to change. Thanks,

[email protected]
P.S. To whoever asked if I was going to send it to them, as long as I got an e-mail you'll get the theme.

Primus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2001, 04:06 AM

I am addressing all the community here.
I am very disappointed. I have very bad news.

Two days ago, the hard drive of my iMac DV 400 died. I don't have a burner so I made no backups. My theme MetalX is on this drive.
All the data still sits there, but the disk won't boot.
I discribed the phenomenon with more details in this topic.

I apologize for all people who waited for MetalX. I want to thank all those who believed in my theme.
If I find a manner of recovering some data, I promise that the first thing I do is going straight to the Extras.rsrc of my MetalX folder !

Best regards
and... keep on !

iBabo
Senior User
Jul 3, 2001, 09:24 AM

OHH MAN ......THIS MUST REALLLY BLOW.....BUMMER&gt;&gt;.....OUCH!!!!....SEEMS LIKE STUFF LIKE THAT ALWAYS HAPPENS TO THEME MAKERS....SOMETHING LIKE THAT HAPPENED TO SYNOTIC A WHILE BACK.....JST WANTED TO POINT OUT THAT IF YOU HAD SENT IT TO EVEN JUST ONE PERSON..YOUD HAVE A COPY TO WR OR RIGHT NOW...CMON..IM SUSE YOUVE SENT IT TO ATLEAST ONE PERSON

well....the best of luck tyou in trying to recover your HD. not trying to imply any thing.....but they are Apple computers and Apple DOEST want us making themes...hmmm..conspirisy?
smile like you mean it.

Primus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2001, 11:15 AM

No... I haven't release to anybody cause I wanted it to be finished before... oh man my heart feels so bad...

And it seems that this series of Quantum drive is very buggy : I have talked today to several people here on the forum whose iMac DV is affected too and they have bought their Mac at the same dates (dec 1999 - march or april 2000). Their serial number is almost the same as mine, same spec, same rev ! It is bad series. Quantum/Maxtor is finished for me, I am disgusted.

iBabo
Senior User
Jul 3, 2001, 03:28 PM

OMG..i think we all here, at the forums can feel your pain and sympathise for you...best of luck in recovering your files
smile like you mean it.

udecker
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2001, 04:49 PM

Primus -

No matter what you do - do NOT run Norton on the drive. I did this to one of my OS X drives and it made only one random sub-folder accessable.

Try booting from an alternative drive (OS X preferred) and run fsck, it very well may make the drive suitable again. (Or maybe try the Disk Tools from the OS X boot CD?)

Hope you get it back - nothing in the world is worse than losing your data.

Best regards
-Craig

King Kong
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2001, 06:35 PM

&gt;nothing in the world is worse than losing your data.

Well nothing except war, famine, starvation etc...

My recommendation.

1. Zap PRAM

2. Boot Disk Warrior from a CD.

3. try to repair.

After that I'd suggest following udeckers advice... then if that doesn't work..norton systemworks. Despite some problems with X, norton in general works fine.

Anyway all you theme monkees out there....this should be more incentive for you guys to open an idisk and back up your data. I know I started doing this after one of the os updates wiped my theme work...

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2001, 08:53 PM

Well I sent everyone who asked for my theme. If you didn't get a e-mail back from me then send me a message again. BTW, if you want to report a bug it helps if you have a picture of what you are referring to. BTW, I want to show someone my theme, can someone upload a shot with my theme? Thanks,

[email protected]

iBabo
Senior User
Jul 3, 2001, 09:21 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU..very much, i love the platinum theme...and agree that a website should be made, and it should be developed upon. maybe even made a kind of opensource like community, where people improve on it. and even a kaliedoscope scheme can be made that looks exactly like it so that classic and OS X look exactly the same. i am willing to help in any way possible.
some things to be improved upon are tabs, and also, windows in the background, show up white areas where the button is clickable(onl in fire)..and also some buttons still show up as aqua buttons, except for that ...its the best theme so far.....
smile like you mean it.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jul 3, 2001, 09:33 PM

I'm currently fiddling around a little with some ideas for a theme, and I'm running into a bit of difficulty with the window widgets... two problems:

First, the premultiplication thing. If I have a disabled widget, and I want the image to be pure black and the mask to have a gradient on it, I can't very well premultiply it because anything * black = black! Is there a way around this? How should I go about it?

Also, on a related note, it seems that Cocoa applications draw a little ghostly circle whenever the widget is disabled or in the background (my widget is no longer circular, obviously). Is there a way to get rid of this artifact?

Synotic, I really would love to see a screenshot of this theme... it seems to be getting rave reviews, and while I VERY much like Iridium it's certainly worth taking a look at another...

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2001, 10:14 PM

here's a screenshot of my comp using this theme.... not the best screenshot (eg not many windows) but you get the idea...
http://24.12.175.36:2500/platinum/one.jpg

if you have @home cable modem, there's about a 90% change you won't be able to view it... they have serious routing issues on their internal network..(then again it may be intentional for security reasons)

Anyway the theme is super cool, still has some issues, but the best that ive seen and used so far.

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2001, 10:30 PM

ok i took another pic to show a few of the "bugs" in the theme. just so others can see. its available at the same address as above, but two.jpg instead of one.jpg (or just go to the platinum directory, point and click).

in two.jpg: the system prefs window is in the background. as you can see the close/minimize/zoom widgets dont look right when theyre in the background. this isnt the case for all apps though.. i believe its a carbon vs cocoa issue... in IE and finder (both carbon), they're fine in the background. in cocoa (terminal, textedit, etc) they appear like in sys prefs. Also notice the "tabs" in the prefs window look pretty funky. synotic said that was one of the things he was going to fix soon. Not that its a big deal, i rarely see tabs, but im just pointing it out..

now look at the about this mac window... see how the title bar looks about one pixel shorter on both sides than the rest of the window? this is cuz there's a black border around the titlebar to give it contrast when its top of other light colored areas... so this is both good and bad. it kinda gives a weird look to some windows, like this one and IE browser windows. Not a big deal, though.

Also i just noticed...synotic did you take the triangle out of the dock menus?? i notifced that right before i took that second pic, so i included it in the pic. well, i like it... oh that dreaded triangle

anyway, enjoy the pics. keep up the goodwork synotic.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2001, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by billybob:
<STRONG>ok i took another pic to show a few of the "bugs" in the theme. just so others can see. its available at the same address as above, but two.jpg instead of one.jpg (or just go to the platinum directory, point and click).

in two.jpg: the system prefs window is in the background. as you can see the close/minimize/zoom widgets dont look right when theyre in the background. this isnt the case for all apps though.. i believe its a carbon vs cocoa issue... in IE and finder (both carbon), they're fine in the background. in cocoa (terminal, textedit, etc) they appear like in sys prefs. Also notice the "tabs" in the prefs window look pretty funky. synotic said that was one of the things he was going to fix soon. Not that its a big deal, i rarely see tabs, but im just pointing it out..

now look at the about this mac window... see how the title bar looks about one pixel shorter on both sides than the rest of the window? this is cuz there's a black border around the titlebar to give it contrast when its top of other light colored areas... so this is both good and bad. it kinda gives a weird look to some windows, like this one and IE browser windows. Not a big deal, though.

Also i just noticed...synotic did you take the triangle out of the dock menus?? i notifced that right before i took that second pic, so i included it in the pic. well, i like it... oh that dreaded triangle

anyway, enjoy the pics. keep up the goodwork synotic.</STRONG>
I have a vague theory on what is causing the inactive widgets problem and think I may know how to fix this. I am sure you have figured out that this is a Cocoa only problem. I'm surprised that I didn't make a disabled Tab Pane Bar picture yet. At first I was worried on how the tabs overlapped each other. Then I figured, hey it doesn't look half bad. Do you like how the tabs overlap each other? If not I can easliy change it. BTW, after I packaged the theme I noticed that the buttons that aren't default and throbbing, when you click on them, you see nothing. I can fix this. About how the title bar looks like it is smaller, well windows don't have borders. What should I do? If I remove the black line it will look bad against white backgrounds but good afainst dark and visa versa. Perhaps I could use a gray line instead? BTW, I wanted to make a replacement about this mac and boot panel replacement, but the about this mac is in TIFF form. And the alpha is within the TIFF. I have absoloutly no idea how people save TIFFs with alphas imbedded in it but Apple seems to be able to do it. If anyone can tell me how please post instructions. I don't even know how to save PDFs properly. If I save pictures in PDF format from within Photoshop it doesn't show up properly. It just looks like pure white. instructions on this would also be appreciated. I am glad that you like that I removed the triangle I could release a few modified versions of Aqua to relieve some issues, like square edges, square scroll arrows. Maybe different widgets? Whatever. Also, sorry about how the scroll tracks still look like they are active even if they really aren't. I can't fix this. This is just how it is. Phoenix: Can I use your Platinum icons and distribute them with my theme? Thanks for all of your positive reviews, and the bug reports it really helps,

[email protected]
P.S. To those who messaged me concerning the theme after I sent the mass e-mailing, just wait, I'll get to you. Also, does anyone know a good list service? Hotbot or something? I would rather have people sign up then send one e-mail instead of a bunch. It would be better if someone has there own non-commercial one so that I wouldn't have to advertise. But if I have to use a commercial list service that is also fine. I'll probobally release an update of Platinum soon.

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2001, 02:39 AM

synotic - yah, i think trying to fix the inactive widgets would be a good idea. i try to ignore it as much as i can, but it really does stand out, at least to me. and yes, i think the tabs look pretty good. not perfect, but pretty good. and i also noticed that buttons that arent the default buttons, when clicked on, dont show any graphical response. i think you should fix that as well

as for window borders.. i dont know what to do. i think apple made a mistake by windows not having any sort of border. thats just stupid... windows should always have borders. i actually have a screenshot on my computer called "why we need window borders" thats just a screenshot of my computer with 3 or 4 terminal windows open.. you cant tell where one ends and the next one begins, since they're all black and there's no border. this really was a stupid thing for apple to do... but enough bitching about apple's design team.

you should experiment with various window border colors. black is good with a light background, no border is good with a dark background.. so grey (as you said) would probably be a good compromise.

i hope you release a new version soon! it can only get better!

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2001, 08:20 AM

BTW, I wanted to make a replacement about this mac and boot panel replacement, but the about this mac is in TIFF form. And the alpha is within the TIFF. I have absoloutly no idea how people save TIFFs with alphas imbedded in it but Apple seems to be able to do it. If anyone can tell me how please post instructions.
In Photoshop 6,
assuming you have a flattened image:[list=1][*]make your selection with the lasso tool (or whatever else)[*]choose menu Select-&gt;Save Selection...[*]name the new channel "Alpha" and click OK[*]choose menu File-&gt;Save As...[*]select TIFF from the popup menu and make sure "Alpha Channels" is checked[/list=a]
That should do it.
I don't even know how to save PDFs properly. If I save pictures in PDF format from within Photoshop it doesn't show up properly.
I'm afraid I'm stuck on that one too. The closest I can get is when I print a picture to PDF from Preview, but that saves it the size of a sheet of paper. Suggestions anyone??

Keep up the good work!

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2001, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
I'm afraid I'm stuck on that one too. The closest I can get is when I print a picture to PDF from Preview, but that saves it the size of a sheet of paper. Suggestions anyone??
Well, I think I just figured out a temporary solution for my work. SnapzPro X will save a selection to PDF. I'm in the beta testing group (now closed, sorry) and this feature was implemented in the latest version.

There must be some other way though!!

ps. Sorry to everyone about not geting back promptly to the e-mails. I had about 250 when I got back Monday morning and I've had to prioritize other things ahead of the MacNN theme comunity. Since I've got some free time today, with it being the 4th of July, I'll finally get to respond to you guys.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jul 4, 2001, 11:14 AM

<STRONG>I have a vague theory on what is causing the inactive widgets problem and think I may know how to fix this.</STRONG>
I think we're having the exact same problem here, Synotic... what do you think is going on, and how can it be fixed? I'd really love to know, since I'm stuck on exactly the same problem with my theme...

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2001, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Phoenix1701:
<STRONG>

I think we're having the exact same problem here, Synotic... what do you think is going on, and how can it be fixed? I'd really love to know, since I'm stuck on exactly the same problem with my theme...</STRONG>
Well I think it is basically how I made the pxm.

See how I made the click mask and alpha mask exactly right? Well I guess that Cocoa just isn't responding to it right. Here are the two things I am thinking of:

1. Instead of making it gray around the image maybe white will work?
2. I could make the click mask a completely full black square and hope that it integrates into the title bar?

Anyways I'll try both and tell you what works.

foobars
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2001, 12:45 PM

Synotic that theme is amazing! Can I still email you to get it?

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2001, 12:48 PM

when i started on my platinum theme, i made the border around the widgets white and not grey. only prob is that you can see the title bar lines going under the widgets much like they go under the text in the titlebar.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2001, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by gthyb:
<STRONG>when i started on my platinum theme, i made the border around the widgets white and not grey. only prob is that you can see the title bar lines going under the widgets much like they go under the text in the titlebar.</STRONG>
I'll do that. BTW, notice how my lines don't actually start until after the third widget? This isn't because the widgets are covering them up. I always use a certain way with my templates to overcome this.

I never realized until now how short the stretch pxm was. If you have a big window it might actually repeat... Anyways, I always base my themes from a template. Which looks like this:

I have a .psd file available on my iDisk although the placement of the widgets is in the wrong place thus unsuitable. I'll try and upload an updated template later today.

foobars: No problem. I still am sending it out. BTW, I like your sig. Could you get a red one with Synotic? What font it that?

Forum Links
Forum Rules