Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express Question (Stereo and Internet)

Airport Express Question (Stereo and Internet)
RayLuczak
Jul 22, 2004, 02:14 PM

Hello:

My friend is thinking of buying an Airport Express station. However, he's not sure if it'd work for him in this following scenario:

1. His G5 computer is one side of the living room.

2. His stereo is on the OTHER side of the living room.

3. The Internet connection (Ethernet broadband) is in his bedroom.

4. He does not necessarily require that his Internet connection be wireless.

Is it possible for him to plug the Airport Express into an electric socket next to his stereo and hook it up from there to his stereo, and have him operate his AirTunes from his G5 WITHOUT having the Airport Express connected to the Internet?

Thanks ever so much!
Raymond Luczak
BOOKS * FILMS * PLAYS
<a href="http://www.raymondluczak.com" target="_blank">http://www.raymondluczak.com</a>

mpbritt
Jul 22, 2004, 04:03 PM

According to what I've read on the AX page, on Apple's site, yes this setup will work. Streaming music does not require the AX to be connected to an internet connection.

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 06:05 AM

Yes that will work fine, there is no need to have an internet connection to use the streaming function with Airport Express.

Here are the steps you take :-

1. Connect HiFi to Airport Express with a mini-jack cable.

2. Plug Airport Express into the wall socket, it will then boot up and eventually settle down with an Amber light flashing. This is normal operation when you don't have a network connected, it is not a fault.

3. Now install the software that came with the Airport Express on your Mac.

4. Once it installed the setup assistant for Airport Express will startup.

5. Using the installer, setup an Airport Network, give it a name and name the iTunes Speakers. This is all very self explanatory in the setup assistant.

6. I can't remember if you need to join the Airport network now, but you do that by clicking on the Airport icon in the right hand side of the menu bar. If the icon has grey lines in it then you need to click on it and select the network you want to join from the drop down menu. If the icon has black bars in it then you are already connect to an airport network (yours probably)

7. Once you have done this, you can start iTunes and you should be able to see the speakers listed in a drop down list at the lower right side of iTunes.

I hope this helps.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Forum Links
Forum Rules