Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jobs was right Longhorn is Photo Copying Location Manager

Jobs was right Longhorn is Photo Copying Location Manager
milfli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2004, 06:58 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device.../loc-serv.mspx

Ouch Jerks

Maybe we should http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/ Write in and tell apple to include this functionallity in OS X? Since it was in OS 9 Back in the day
It just works so I don't have to
;-)

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2004, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by milfli:

Ouch Jerks

Maybe we should http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/ Write in and tell apple to include this functionallity in OS X? Since it was in OS 9 Back in the day
Since Windows 95 Windows has had hardware profiles you can switch between which also control your network settings.

Just looks like they are giving developers access in Longhorn. No big deal.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

milfli  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2004, 08:09 PM

Did you read the article at all?
;-)

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2004, 09:01 PM

Did you read the article at all?
Yes. Like I said, since Windows 95 Windows can deal with multiple profiles for different network locations, power settings, etc etc. They called them Hardware Profiles, Mac OS called them locations. Microsoft's version was a lot more robust because it allowed control of all your hardware, not just some.

All Microsoft is doing is sticking a new name on it and letting developers talk to it. No big deal.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2004, 06:20 AM

Perhaps Apple could do us all a favour and photocopy Location Manager into OS X?

Tom C
Jul 22, 2004, 12:46 PM

Location Manager is just about the only thing that I still miss from OS 9. When I take my laptop home from work, I have to reset the network location and the default printer. When I travel out west, I also have to change the time zone. It would be nice to do all three things with one step.

I haven't heard anything about it being in the 10.4 beta, which really disappoints me.

Keep up the pressure on Apple. They caved in on spring-loaded folders, maybe they'll cave in on the Location Manager if enough of us write.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 01:41 PM

And how about a Location Manager that figures out where it most likely is depending on what network resources it finds? As in, if I pull an IP address in <this network> from <this server>, I can see <these Rendezvous printers>, and Network shares from <this list>, this is Work. But if my IP address is in this <that network> and there's just <that Rendezvous> printer, this is Home. If it can't tell, ask.

Or just stick a GPS receiver in each powerbook.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

milfli  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2004, 04:19 PM

Yeah write your suggestions in to apple

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

The more ppl who write in the better odds of getting this feature.
;-)

sambeau
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 05:12 PM

Yeah write your suggestions in to apple

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

The more ppl who write in the better odds of getting this feature.
Just did. The problem is - once you start it's difficult to stop. 4 feedback posts and counting

milfli  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2004, 07:34 PM

What you mean once you start sending feedback it is hard to stop? Yeah I must have sent 15 things this week.

here is my list
Fax Bug
- where a fax appears to go out but doesn't - why because modem you selected wasn't a fax modem

Audio Gateway Profile for Bluetooth
Safari Undo

Safari BBS Insertion bug (go to a bbs forum and type then move cursor to begining of line select what you typed and select B (to bold) notice how it doesn't bold what you selected but adds the [b] tag to the end?

Rendevous Support in Address Book & iCal
Location Manager (listed here)

A few others minor bugs

Safari Web Archieve Feature = in 1.3 (soon to be released me hopes)

Add Print Selection
- selected text instead of printing the whole document
Fix Bluetooth File Exchange
Fix FTP Upload from Finder
Hyberation or save memory contents on sleep (From OS 9.01)
Better UPS Support add Notification
Make the UPS Shutdown script easier for the user

Various Other things
Please Feel Free to share what you sent them
if i send something simalar maybe they will start to listen
;-)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2004, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by Tom C:
Location Manager is just about the only thing that I still miss from OS 9. When I take my laptop home from work, I have to reset the network location and the default printer. When I travel out west, I also have to change the time zone. It would be nice to do all three things with one step.

I haven't heard anything about it being in the 10.4 beta, which really disappoints me.

Keep up the pressure on Apple. They caved in on spring-loaded folders, maybe they'll cave in on the Location Manager if enough of us write.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
Now, you do know that there is a Location menu in the Apple menu, right? Unfortunately, it only applies to network settings, but that's one of the things you just requested. OS X's location management is much more limited than OS 9's, although I don't think Apple always intended that to be the case. If they had, they would have named the menu Network Location instead. I imagine that Apple did, at one point, intend to implement a location manager but the project got shelved and possibly forgotten. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised by Tiger, although we all know we probably won't. I'm just hoping Apple finally updates the Finder so that its progress bars menu task! (Com'on, Apple, I can find a random piece of freeware that does. It's just embarrassing, IMO.)

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

milfli  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2004, 08:54 PM

so that its progress bars menu task!?

Run that by me @ 33rpm plz.
;-)

Tom C
Jul 22, 2004, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Now, you do know that there is a Location menu in the Apple menu, right? Unfortunately, it only applies to network settings, but that's one of the things you just requested.
Yes, I know about the location menu in the Apple menu. As I said, "it would be nice to do all three things with one step"...my point was that the current "location" setting should control multiple things (network, time zone, default printer, etc.) As it stands, it's not a "Location Manager" in the OS 9 sense; it's simply a network location setting.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 08:32 AM

[B]Safari BBS Insertion bug (go to a bbs forum and type then move cursor to begining of line select what you typed and select B (to bold) notice how it doesn't bold what you selected but adds the tag to the end?
I don't know why you attribute this to Safari but OK FWIW I too find it annoying and it happens all browsers. It's not a bug per se, rather the way vBulletin has it coded in. I'm sure there's probably a mod out there that MacNN could apply...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2004, 08:55 AM

Tom, I suppose it was a communication issue, for when you said the following:

"When I take my laptop home from work, I have to reset the network location and the default printer."

I interpreted it to mean that when you take your laptop home you are manually resetting the network location. It sounded like you were reconfiguring your network settings every time.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 11:12 AM

Ouch Jerks

When will PC get a life?

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

Forum Links
Forum Rules