Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > QuickSilver - is it dead ?

QuickSilver - is it dead ?
cantona7
Jul 18, 2004, 02:36 PM

hello all,

friend of mine has a G4 QuickSilver and called me the other day, telling me that the thing won't switch on. He presses the powerbutton and the light comes on but immediately goes out again when he takes his finger off. Machine never boots up.

Asked him what the heck was he's been doing to it. He then tells me that he had electrians in setting up a new extra circuit. So I'm thinking that his machine must of taken a heavy surge of power. blown the thing out. He tells me that all the other devices on the same circuit as the QuickSilver are fine.

any ideas or things for me to try???

thanks all.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 18, 2004, 03:33 PM

Tell him to unhook the power supply's connections to the motherboard and remove the motherboard battery. Leave it that way for 20 mins or so, then plug everything back in and try to boot up again.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2004, 04:45 PM

This exact same thing happened to my Dual Gig QS just a couple of weeks ago. Turned out it was a processor. Fortunately, the thing was stillunder Applecare, or it would have cost me 5 or 6 bills to replace the CPU daughtercard.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

cantona7  (op)
Jul 18, 2004, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Tell him to unhook the power supply's connections to the motherboard and remove the motherboard battery. Leave it that way for 20 mins or so, then plug everything back in and try to boot up again.
thanks for the suggestion. he's going to bring it around and i will give it a shot. is it easy to remove the battery? not stuck on or anything?

gmpierce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2004, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by cantona7:
hello all,

friend of mine has a G4 QuickSilver and called me the other day, telling me that the thing won't switch on. He presses the powerbutton and the light comes on but immediately goes out again when he takes his finger off. Machine never boots up.

Asked him what the heck was he's been doing to it. He then tells me that he had electrians in setting up a new extra circuit. So I'm thinking that his machine must of taken a heavy surge of power. blown the thing out. He tells me that all the other devices on the same circuit as the QuickSilver are fine.

any ideas or things for me to try???

thanks all.
Just do a motherboard reset - push and hold the small gray reset button on the motherboard. If you're facing the folded out panel, its on the left side of the board, pretty close to the edge. I think the battery is in the same area.

This happens to me whenever I've got the system asleep and the power goes out.

cantona7  (op)
Jul 25, 2004, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by gmpierce:
Just do a motherboard reset - push and hold the small gray reset button on the motherboard. If you're facing the folded out panel, its on the left side of the board, pretty close to the edge. I think the battery is in the same area.

This happens to me whenever I've got the system asleep and the power goes out.
that fixed it. thanks all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules