Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > curse of the clickwheel

curse of the clickwheel
hm-one
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2004, 12:17 AM

hopefully i am the only one experiencing this, but my ipod will shut down by itself, freeze, and will not restart unless i do a manual reset!

i recently swapped out a faulty 4g 20 gig ipod because of major irregularities and weird glitches. one of the last issues i had before taking the ipod to an apple store was that the ipod would shut down after i paused a song and would not wake up unless i reset it.

when i went to a local apple store the genius ran his tests and confirmed that my ipod was a lemon and agreed to swap it no question. i had mentioned to him about the latest problem i encountered about the freezing, and he was curious about it so wanted to test it out. he played a song, paused it, let it sit for 5 minutes, did some multi tasking with other customers, and came back to my ipod to notice that it froze and would not wake up unless it was reset just like i explained.

anyway i got a brand new 20gig and this one has been fine until i noticed that it does the exact same thing! i have some art bell radio shows that i archived and while i was listening to a show, i had to pause it because i had to use the bathroom. when i came back i noticed that the ipod would not wake up at all. of course the hold button was not on, and the only way i could turn the ipod back on was with the reset, just like before.

i'm REALLY hoping that i'm just really unlucky and received two lemons in a row, because i would hate to see that this is a widespread issue. i call it the curse of the clickwheel because my 3g never had these types of problems whatsoever, but my 4g, like a lot of the minis, is having major freezing issues.

is anyone else having this same problem? i really hope not. i love apple and would hate to see that there is some sort of flaw that is causing this

RzA jR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2004, 03:51 AM

i have yet to have 1 problem at all with mine.

hm-one  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2004, 08:19 AM

i'm glad. i'm going back to the apple store tomorrow. this thing is constantly freezing up

Forum Links
Forum Rules