Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook and cinema display

ibook and cinema display
crayola
Jul 24, 2004, 02:35 PM

i have an ibook G4 933mhz and i'd like to get a 20" apple cinema display (or even the formac display) to hook up to it but i don't know if it can be done.

also i have the video spanning hack which works great with my ibook and the CRT at work but using video spanning with the lcd would be much better.

has anyone tried doing this with their ibook or can point me in the right direction for documentation on this?
whatevah!!! i do what i want!!

rastatero
Jul 25, 2004, 06:03 PM

I have also been really interested in the desktop spanning hack for my iBook. After reading the forum at the creator's website, I am a bit more hesitant about applying the hack. Many users have claimed that the iBook becomes very hot and the fan kicks in more frequently. I remember seeing that a few users have also said that their logic boards got fried; while other users have been using the hack without a problem. I did not get a chance to look into this in depth, but it seems something worth cautioning.

-- Tony

crayola  (op)
Jul 26, 2004, 10:02 AM

i installed the hack about 4 months ago and haven't had any noticable problems with it. i use it everyday when i bring my ibook to work and hook up the 20" crt to it. and my fan has never activated since i've had the ibook.

my question though is can i hook it up to a cinema display or formac display and what special connector cable will i need to do that if any?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2004, 01:19 PM

i think its pretty expensive to do. the ibooks have a vga out. which to convert to dvi take something like a $300 connector. and from there (depending on the cinema display) you might have to pick up the additional $100 dvi => adc adapter.

but yes, i think it IS possible.

looks like you might need something like this

crayola  (op)
Jul 26, 2004, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
i think its pretty expensive to do. the ibooks have a vga out. which to convert to dvi take something like a $300 connector. and from there (depending on the cinema display) you might have to pick up the additional $100 dvi => adc adapter.

but yes, i think it IS possible.

looks like you might need something like this
yikes

i was afraid it'd be expensive. thanks for the link though. i guess i'll just have to stick with using a crt as my second display until i eventually get a powerbook.

Stinkysteve
Jul 27, 2004, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by rastatero:
I have also been really interested in the desktop spanning hack for my iBook. After reading the forum at the creator's website, I am a bit more hesitant about applying the hack. Many users have claimed that the iBook becomes very hot and the fan kicks in more frequently. I remember seeing that a few users have also said that their logic boards got fried; while other users have been using the hack without a problem. I did not get a chance to look into this in depth, but it seems something worth cautioning.

-- Tony
I have been using the hack every day since November of last year.
I have a G4 iBook 12" 800.
No problems at all!
I can't live without it now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules