Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > If you add AppleCare, does it count as BTO?

If you add AppleCare, does it count as BTO?
MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 06:17 PM

Just wondering And does AppleCare start the day you purchase the computer or the day you recieve it?
iamwhor3hay

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
Just wondering And does AppleCare start the day you purchase the computer or the day you recieve it?
Q1: No... BTO/CTO/Stock are terms that refer to the hardware itself, not the number of things on your order.

Q2: AppleCare covers your device until 3 years after your date of purchase of the device, even though AppleCare can be purchased any time within the first year of owning the device.

EDIT: Misread your Q2. I believe it is the day it *shipped,* which is not either of the two options you gave. Questions such as these obviously disappear when you buy it in a retail store as I did, so I'm not the best person to answer this.

EDIT2: Read your sig... Cello!! Hooray! I played for many years semi-casually (school, personal, etc...). Unfortunately, I don't have the time anymore.
( Last edited by azdude; Jul 26, 2004 at 06:47 PM. )
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

ChillieMac
Jul 27, 2004, 01:05 AM

Are you sure you can buy AppleCare for a Mac anytime within first year of purchase? I'd really like confirmation, because if that's true, I can buy my new Powerbook MUCH sooner and will get 2 Airport Extreme devices!

Also, if I get the 128MB graphics card vs the 64MB, does that void my warranty/AppleCare since it is BTO? That would be seroiusly jacked up if true.
Does that apply to picking different hard drive offered on the Apple store?

Any 1st hand anecdotal evidence or better yet links to policy on Apple's site appreciated.

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by ChillieMac:
Are you sure you can buy AppleCare for a Mac anytime within first year of purchase? I'd really like confirmation, because if that's true, I can buy my new Powerbook MUCH sooner and will get 2 Airport Extreme devices!

Also, if I get the 128MB graphics card vs the 64MB, does that void my warranty/AppleCare since it is BTO? That would be seroiusly jacked up if true.

Any 1st hand anecdotal evidence or better yet links to policy on Apple's site appreciated.
1. yes
2. no and no
iamwhor3hay

gomariners
Jul 27, 2004, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by ChillieMac:

ANYTHING Apple does to your computer or done by an Apple Authorized Service Center does not void your warranty (Applecare). Moreover, there are a few things you can do to a powerbook yourself which do not void your warranty (although your warranty will not cover these items). For the newest PBs I believe these are:

Memory
Rubber Feet
Airport card

There's a document on this at http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/

Forum Links
Forum Rules