Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] Duality 5 Public Beta 4

[ANN] Duality 5 Public Beta 4
goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2004, 01:21 AM

I've put the finishing touches on Duality 5 PB4...

The following new features have been added:
� Support for application themes. Application themes will import from guiKit's. Duality 5 supports themes for Safari, Address Book, Mail, iPhoto, iSync, iCal, iMovie, iDVD, Quicktime 6.7, the 10.4 Finder, and more. Duality does not currently theme the 10.3 Finder, this is being addressed.
� Support for theme sharing via .Mac. You may now publish themes via your .Mac account and share them with other users. Simply enter the name of the .Mac user who's themes you wish to browse, and Duality will list all the themes they are sharing and allow you to download them. You can browse other's themes even if you don't have a .Mac account. Publishing themes requires .Mac.
� Initial Icon Set implemenation.
� Command line access to Duality. You can now change themes with the Duality command line tool. The first argument is the path to the XScheme file you wish to use, followed by the name of the variation. Reverting to Aqua is done simply by passing one "Aqua" argument. The command line tool is at /usr/local/sbin/CSThemeChanger.

On the topic of licensing, the final version of Duality will be available as both free and shareware. Duality Free will be restricted to themes and .Mac sharing. The registered version will do icon sets and windowshade.

We've started work on some projects that promise to make more money than Duality, which has a two fold effect. First it means we won't have as much time to concentrate on, but it does mean there will not be as much concentration on it as a money maker, meaning we'll probably be pretty lenient in registration restrictions. We're still working on Duality and Catalyst, but there isn't as much money to be made in the theme market. It's going to be finished, but a theme changer just can't pull the same profit other software can. While the update speed may slow, I'm hoping this will make Duality development more relaxed and more about doing something fun.

http://www.carpestellarem.com/Produc...y/Duality5Beta

Edit: The link on the page now points to the right beta.
( Last edited by goMac; Jul 28, 2004 at 01:57 AM. )
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2004, 03:54 AM

yay. that will look awesome.... All my iApps are themed but the Finder is not. awesome.

How do you know if Duality5 wont make any money ? You have not sold a copy of it yet(or have you?)

But if you keep on making things difficult for us then there is no need for Duality as it stands now. An incosistent interface it what we all want and strive for. NOT.

The only thing you have an edge over ShapeShifter right now, is that Duality can use some of the old DLTA themes and have the right size widgets in the window titlebar.

I'm not trying to brake your spirit. Keep on making software.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Makki
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 04:00 AM

Ditto on what Fonzie said.

I found Duality to be a charm when i wanted to load up and try the old Tuxedo theme and it worked fine on 10.3.4 except for the few errors mentioned by Fonzie over all it looked good tho.

Makki

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2004, 04:08 AM

It seems after talking to Makki that the Finder is actually themed somewhat in 10.3. So I stand somewhat corrected. carry on.

Makki
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
It seems after talking to Makki that the Finder is actually themed somewhat in 10.3. So I stand somewhat corrected. carry on.
hehe your alright Fonzie hehe

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2004, 08:28 AM

How do you know if Duality5 wont make any money ? You have not sold a copy of it yet(or have you?)
I would assume he's done some market research. For the amount of time and effort which translates into costs i.e., paying for people's salaries. The profit margin will not be that great.

fwiw look at all those people complaining about paying for SS and that's what 20 bucks. SS is pretty well entrenched and duality will have a heck of a time making a dent in the markey share especially if the price is higher then 20 bucks. Having the freeware version is definitly going to have an impact on that.

Like any GoMac post
let the flames begin

JellyBeen
Senior User
Jul 28, 2004, 11:21 AM

You goMac!
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

JellyBeen
Senior User
Jul 28, 2004, 11:22 AM

You goMac!
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2004, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
First it means we won't have as much time to concentrate on, but it does mean there will not be as much concentration on it as a money maker... We're still working on Duality and Catalyst, but there isn't as much money to be made in the theme market... While the update speed may slow, I'm hoping this will make Duality development more relaxed and more about doing something fun.
Gee, what a shock... yet another excuse for not having a completed product anywhere in the near future. I NEVER would have imagined it.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by MacDog:
Gee, what a shock... yet another excuse for not having a completed product anywhere in the near future. I NEVER would have imagined it.
yes. heaven forbid they actually make money so they can release products!

Zee_on
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 04:31 PM

Attention LOGOUT REQUIRED in the installation of Duality...

ahh, luckily iChats annoying review dialog popped up and saved me from losing 4 days of a huge BitTorrent file and a final draft of a paper.

there really has to be more warning of a logout, because I was just pressing return on the window thinking it was like almost all other os x installers that have the useless "close" button.

any way, I am about to try out this very controversial application, the is the third beta I will try, the last two didn't even do ANYthing, but I hope this will work, I really just don't like shapeshifter that much, and I like applications that give users a free version...

more to come

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Zee_on:
Attention LOGOUT REQUIRED in the installation of Duality...

ahh, luckily iChats annoying review dialog popped up and saved me from losing 4 days of a huge BitTorrent file and a final draft of a paper.

there really has to be more warning of a logout, because I was just pressing return on the window thinking it was like almost all other os x installers that have the useless "close" button.

any way, I am about to try out this very controversial application, the is the third beta I will try, the last two didn't even do ANYthing, but I hope this will work, I really just don't like shapeshifter that much, and I like applications that give users a free version...

more to come
Apple's installer won't log out until you hit the log out button.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2004, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
yes. heaven forbid they actually make money so they can release products!
okay, maybe my English-grammer is not the best. Or the understanding of the English language. But, would the company not have to make products and sell them in order to make money. If they can make money without releasing any products then I want in on it too. It might be the next big thing: Make money while not doing anything to earn them! Buy now! 30 days warranty!

Am I misreading your post ? If I am - then please correct me.

btw. goMac, I gave up on installing Duality5 B4 on Tiger Pre-release because I kept getting "there was an error while installing this software, please try again" or something along those lines. I may have to do with the fact that I - without thinking- transfered my Apps and stuff from my Panther installation into Tiger. And thus had to re-install Panther ~2hours ago. I was the best thing I had done in eons though, so thank you for that opportunity. Otherwise I would never have done it untill Tiger final came out.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2004, 06:45 PM

But, would the company not have to make products and sell them in order to make money.
My point exactly!!
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2004, 07:14 PM

btw. goMac, I gave up on installing Duality5 B4 on Tiger Pre-release because I kept getting "there was an error while installing this software, please try again" or something along those lines. I may have to do with the fact that I - without thinking- transfered my Apps and stuff from my Panther installation into Tiger. And thus had to re-install Panther ~2hours ago. I was the best thing I had done in eons though, so thank you for that opportunity. Otherwise I would never have done it untill Tiger final came out.
I manually installed on the pre-release. Check the log and tell me what error it gives. The log should be available in one of the menus, if you ever go back to Tiger that is.

I also have gone back to Panther. Tiger is full of bugs.

hackand
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: in this remote really really ridiculously far far away country called "chile"
Jul 28, 2004, 07:25 PM

i don't know, this is only a simple tiny user's opinion, don't take this bad but�i don't think that any user would like to go back to such a full of bugs and lack of comfort app like Duality�i, personally, wouldn't re-switch from ShapeShifter to Duality even if Duality turned free�let's say that i haven't had very good experiences and results using this app and i wouldn't recommend it to anyone�plus it needs an external extension to read and use guiKits� i'd definitely stay with ShapeShifter. But this is only my opinion, don't take it badly ok? peace.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by hackand:
i don't know, this is only a simple tiny user's opinion, don't take this bad but�i don't think that any user would like to go back to such a full of bugs and lack of comfort app like Duality�i, personally, wouldn't re-switch from ShapeShifter to Duality even if Duality turned free�let's say that i haven't had very good experiences and results using this app and i wouldn't recommend it to anyone�plus it needs an external extension to read and use guiKits� i'd definitely stay with ShapeShifter. But this is only my opinion, don't take it badly ok? peace.
Duality 5 uses a very similar theme changing process to ShapeShifter, so I think in the end safety will not be as big a concern.

Forum Links
Forum Rules