Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How easy is it to upgrade the new ibooks?

How easy is it to upgrade the new ibooks?
kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2004, 11:54 PM

Hi there,

I'm awaiting my new 1ghz ibook that many of you have recommended. I am wondering how easy it is to upgrade the hard drive, and even the combo drive.

I have upgraded the old ibooks a dozen times, so at this point it's relatively easy for me. But are the new ibooks the same?

i have a 60gb 5400 hard drive lying around, and I can get a superdrive for about $100. These upgrades could make the ibook even more worthwhile!!

I have been debating whether or not to go the powerbook route, but powerbooks seem very difficult to upgrade, and i would be concerned about dents and things. But with ibooks, that's the one thing I like about them (or have liked about them) - they are easy to open up. And because of that, I can see how this would definitely improve their longevity.

let me know what you think,
thanks!!

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2004, 09:36 AM

I'm also interested in how upgradable the ibooks are. I am considering one and if you can do these things, it would push me over the edge of buying one.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 11:12 AM

Not easy. If you upgraded old iBooks I assume you meant clam shell ones. Those are not bad. The new white iBooks are no where as simple to open up. Good luck though because there is no way to open one up and not have it be visible that the warranty has been voided.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2004, 06:49 PM

Hi,

Actually when I said opening up ibooks in the past, i meant the dual usb snow white ones. There were alot of screws, but it got to a point that I was able to disassemble/reassemble them from my memory without any instructions. It took me 30-45 minutes to disassemble and 30 minutes to reassemble.

It looks as if the new ibooks greatly resemble the older ones. So if that is the case then these should be a breeze.

As for warranty, I actually don't plan to get applecare for this, so as the existing warranty gets closer and closer to the end, upgrades would seem even more enticing.

Let me know what you think,
Thanks!

uberwald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2004, 12:55 AM

let me know if you get a superdrive in your 12" ibook -- I'd love to do that down the line...
http://www.uberwald.com

makrell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2004, 05:59 AM

I am also interested in this. The instruction sites mentioned on other threads all show the older and different white iBooks, with tray loading drives.
Is the procedure very different? I am about to try this for the first time and want a good guide before I buy a 80 Gb drive and a firewire cabinett to hold the 40 Gb I remove from our iBook.

By the way, which drive would you recommend? Samsung, Hitachi or Fujitsu? Which brand does Apple use? And is there any difference in loudness and batterylife and speed between 4200 and 5400rpm?

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2004, 06:20 AM

My 12" 1Ghz iBook has a 30GB Fujitsu disk in it.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Forum Links
Forum Rules