Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Network options for church building

Network options for church building
malson
Senior User
Aug 1, 2004, 04:46 PM

This is certainly not mac related but I figured that there might be some folks who could offer some solid suggestions. This is also posted over at Ars.

My request for assistance is two-fold. First, I would like to get some opinions on the actual set-up and layout of a network. Second, I would like some options on setting up and managing a small (10 machine) computer lab.

First and foremost: the budget we have been allocated is $2500. There might be some additional funds available but they are not guaranteed. This would need to cover the networking hardware we talk about below. So, keep that in mind.

The orange box at the bottom right indicates our home base in terms of networking. The green lines are existing ethernet runs. Each run is a separate cat5 cable run overhead above a suspended ceiling. The cable exiting to the top goes out to an attached gym and is about 175 feet in length. The red box at the top of the diagram indicates the room where the computer lab will be installed.

The existing network is comprised completely of machines running Windows XP. The connection to the internet is via a Comcast cable modem linked to a single port Linksys router connected to a generic 8-port hub.

Now, the specifics. The computer lab will have 10 machines all running XP. There is currently no network infrastructure for this room. We are not tremendously worried about fast internet access (come on, 24 machines on a cable connection?) Our primary option is to get some sort of server in order to manage the lab machines in terms of having a central file server, managing the software distributions, etc. Would a server be useful/needed in this sort of application?

Next, I assume that some sort of hub/switch would be the best answer to connecting the lab to the rest of the building's network. What kind of speed/connectivity penalty would we have if the connection was: computer > hub > cat5 > hub > router > cable modem. Any suggestions on making this a bit quicker or more manageable?

We also want to be able to offer wireless access points within the church. I know that there are security concerns with open access points but this is a fact-finding post. If you refer to the diagram above, the building is 120 feet E-W and 240 feet N-S. The building is almost entirely 12" block construction. We have a single machine that would be at the blue dot on the lower left that we need to get connected to the network. It is located on the second floor and we are not able to easily hardwire into the network. It is about 120 feet from the workroom. Therefore, wireless would be the easiest solution.

So, we definitely need a wireless solution for that machine but what sort of bridging or repeaters would be required to cover a majority of the building? Any specific equipment recommendations for routers/antennas/etc?

I hope that this post makes some sense. If any additional details are needed just let me know.
( Last edited by malson; Aug 3, 2004 at 09:23 PM. )
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

Forum Links
Forum Rules