Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Most powerful Pismo

Most powerful Pismo
bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 08:18 PM

I got a Pismo 400 for free. It even came with an Airport card and 384mb RAM. I am going back to school later this month and decided it was time for some upgrades. By the time I was done I got:

Powerlogix G3/900 upgrade for $379

IBM Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 60GB ATA-6 2.5in 7200RPM Mobile Hard Drive for $180

Kingston 512MB PC133 SDRAM SODIMM for $94

Some might ask "Is it worth it to spend $650+ on such an old Powerbook?"

I answer that I have used all models of the Titanium, Al, iBook, etc and by far the Pismo is the absolutely best form factor, ergonomic and lovely machine of machine to ever use.

Whaddya all think?
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2004, 08:26 PM

Update your sig.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Hairllama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2004, 10:08 PM

I've been trying to save a dying Pismo. In many circumstances I welcome the passing of my old technology because it's a nice excuse to buy something new, but the new AlBooks just don't feel right to me. I must save my Pismo, or buy a couple more to keep the family alive.
Powerbook G4 15" 1.67GHz, 128MB VRAM, 100GB HD, 1.5GB, SD
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz, 80GB HD, 512MB, SD
G4 500 Pismo 40GB HD 512MB RAM, Combo Drive

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2004, 10:08 PM

you coulda had a G4 upgrade, albeit at a slower clock speed. otherwise... have fun! i agree, it's a beautiful machine and still quite serviceable. not for power users, but still nice to have.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 12:10 AM

Where did you get a pismo for free, are you sure you didn't "borrow" it from someone in starbucks.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 02:05 AM

Work decided they didn't want the Pismo any longer so they gave it to me. Just like that. As far as the G4 upgrade, I know I could have had it, but per an email from Powerlogix themselves, they said the G3/900 is by far the fastest upgrade available.

Now, if they can only get the video card upgraded. hmm....

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 03:28 AM

Make sure you get the 750GX upgrade. You'll really want that extra L2 cache running a 9:1 CPU-bus ratio.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Halfloaf
Aug 3, 2004, 06:52 AM

bstone: You noted in your sig that you use YDL 3 on the pismo, will you change the OS now that you have an upgrade?

Just curious.

-HL

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by Halfloaf:
bstone: You noted in your sig that you use YDL 3 on the pismo, will you change the OS now that you have an upgrade?

Just curious.

-HL
Good question! Short answer: Yes Long answer: OS X will be on there. If nothing else to run MOL. I am investigating a move to Gentoo, but Panther will be on there and regularly updated.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 05:01 PM

Have you gotten AirPort to run on the Pismo with YDL? I'm still fighting with YDL 3.0 on my Pismo (dual-boot with OS X) and so far no joy.

AirPort works like a charm under OS X so I know the card is fine. What settings did you use for AirPort on YDL?

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
Have you gotten AirPort to run on the Pismo with YDL? I'm still fighting with YDL 3.0 on my Pismo (dual-boot with OS X) and so far no joy.

AirPort works like a charm under OS X so I know the card is fine. What settings did you use for AirPort on YDL?
Since I installed YDL 3.0.1 airport has been working like a charm. I never have a problem getting into an open network. I just went to the network controls and turned it on. Sorry I can't be more of a help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules