Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I could really use some help

I could really use some help
qualey2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 11:49 AM

Ok let me start by stating that I am not sure if this is the right fourm for this request, if not please put it where it belongs.

Machine spec's G-3 400 P/B
384 megs ram
osx 10.2.8 fresh install as of yesterday and all updates I belive I need.
The problem lies here : I have a Skyline 11mb wireless card that used to work just fine untill last Thanksgiving untill the whole machine freaked out. I have gotten the machine working great except for the wireless card.

I have downloaded the latest driver from

wireless driver

This is a clip from the web site :
How do I configure the WirelessDriver now that I have installed it?

Open the network preferences pane, select the EN1 (or EN2) interface as the active network setting and configure it appropriately for your network (e.g. using DCHP, enter the DNS server ip addresses for your internet service provider).
Open the WirelessConfig preference pane and enter the Network name (this is case sensitive) and the WEP key if using encryption. If you are using a non-Apple basestation, you may want to select the text version of the hex key (see below for more info).

If you do not see EN1 or EN2 in the network preference pane you can try typing the following into a terminal window and then enter your password:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/WirelessDriver.kext
sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

I have tried entering the text into terminal as stated as above and I get an error saying command not found or some thing along those lines.

I have also tried to configure the card from the first part of the text I cut and pasted and the problem there is I do dont see the en1 mentioned.

Back to the terminal for a moment I have tried to enter one line @ a time and also by typing the whole thing @ once.

Could some one point me in the right direction please.

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2004, 12:09 PM

The error message seems to be the key here - could you try the operation again and let us know *exactly* what it says?

It could be either a permissions problem (ie, your computer doesn't think you're allowed to install or remove the kext), or a problem with the installer (ie, it's not spitting out the right file, or else writing it to the wrong location).

Either way, a verbatim copy of the message would help.

Good luck!
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

qualey2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 12:20 PM

OK I typed the first line into terminal as it appears with cap's in place and hit return,entered my password and the error mssg is as follows:
sudo:kextload/System/library/Extensions/WirelessDriver.kext:command not found
That is just the way it appears

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 12:49 PM

I was able to reproduce your error by typing

sudo kextload/System....

Meaning, I left out the space beteween kextload and /System.

qualey2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 01:14 PM

Thanks I did not catch the space between those but now I have a new error message which is as follows:
kextload: /System/LibraryExtensions/wirelessDriver.kext:no such bundle file exists
can't add kernel extension /System/LibraryExtensisons/wirelessDriver.kext (fileaccess/permissions )(run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

This again is letter for letter, space for space and so on as far as I can tell.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by qualey2:
Thanks I did not catch the space between those but now I have a new error message which is as follows:
kextload: /System/LibraryExtensions/wirelessDriver.kext:no such bundle file exists
can't add kernel extension /System/LibraryExtensisons/wirelessDriver.kext (fileaccess/permissions )(run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

This again is letter for letter, space for space and so on as far as I can tell.
Are you sure you haven't mistyped wirelessDriver? Up above it is written as WirelessDriver (note the capital W versus the lowercase w)

qualey2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 03:34 PM

Yes I am sure I typed it correctly when I entered the text. I also typed the error mssg as it appeared on the screen, I also noticed the diffrence between the upper and lower case letters.

Juggle5
Aug 10, 2004, 06:05 PM

The error message: "kextload: /System/LibraryExtensions/wirelessDriver.kext:no such bundle file exists" sounds like the file wasn't installed. I'm guessing that the installer should have created the file "/System/Library/Extensions/WirelessDriver.kext".

You can check to make sure it exists by typing
"ls -d /System/Library/Extensions/WirelessDriver.kext"

If it's there, you will get back the name you typed in, if not, you will get some sort of error like "no such file or directory". In that case, try running the installer again perhaps?

One thing that may help with typing long commands in the terminal is to use the tab key to have it autocomplete for you--this helps detect and avoid typos. For example, I would type the above command as "ls -d /Sy"<tab>"/L"<tab>"E"<tab>"Wi"<tab>
At any point, if nothing happens when you hit the tab key, there are only a few possible reasons: (1) you mis-typed something (2) there's no file with the name you've typed so far. (3) There are multiple names that could complete; for example, in your home directory, there may be "Movies" and "Music" folders. Typing "ls ~/M"<tab> wouldn't work, because the autocomplete doesn't know which folder you wanted. However, "ls ~/Mu"<tab> would work.

Good luck!

qualey2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 07:18 PM

I tried to type in the command as you suggested. I got as far as "Is -d/Sy" and then I hit the tab key and it returned "-d " not found.

So I typed in the full command being carefull with spelling and spaces and I got the following error message:
Is: Command not found.

To those that have helped so far Thanks. I really want to get this solved.

qualey2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 08:01 AM

Does anyone else have any ideas or am I looking at a trip to my Mac store ?

Ω
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 08:13 AM

No idea but it is "el"s not Is as you have it above.

I would just cut and paste the command as written by Juggle5 so these typing errors do not occur.

qualey2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 08:41 AM

I did type it as it is posted. So what your telling me is I should type el not Is right ?

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by qualey2:
I did type it as it is posted. So what your telling me is I should type el not Is right ?
No, he is saying that you have typed I (read "eye") instead of l ("ell").

The ls is "ell-ess" not "eye-ess".

qualey2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 09:30 AM

OK I am starting from scratch downloaded the un-installer, ran it, was told un-install was sucessfull, repairing premmissions. I have also re downloaded the driver and going to go from square one.

qualey2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 09:51 AM

Let me start by its fixed and I went through the whole process in the same manner as I had several times with the exceptions of this time I did the up-grade to stuff-it and I chose a diffrent mirror site to down load from. The part I am have problems understanding is the first driver I tried was burned on to disk and worked right the first time BEFOR BEING BURNED TO DISK.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Forum Links
Forum Rules