Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > another step in the right direction

another step in the right direction (Page 2)
drive-thru
Senior User
Aug 12, 2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by starman:
It's funny you should say that because just after I posted that I thought that the only group worse than gays in terms of trying to convert people are the Jehova's Witnesses . I had to turn a flock of them down 2 weekends ago.
I wonder if there's a specific collective noun for Jehova's Witnesses...

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2004, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
How long until this thread is locked because is bashes gay marriage? Any takers?
Demonhood must be on vacation. But notice how civil a conversation can be when the liberals aren't playing their Demonhood backed bashing gamesz

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2004, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
I've been on this rock for 57 years, I know lots of gay people (my daughter being one of them), and I've never, ever experienced a gay person trying to convert me. So you've maybe had a couple of experiences, and now the whole gay community is trying to convert you. Another one filled with fear?
See? Someone who thinks that just because I disagree that I'm "afraid" and "filled with fear". Moron.

How about this: I made as much of a choice to be hetero. Ooh...try and smack that one down, homey.

My kids might be happy that I'm hetero also. Ever think of it THAT way?

I respect people's choice to be gay so long as:

1) They don't get in my face about it
2) See #1

The same goes for anything else in my life from computers to cars or the kind of goddamn luggage I choose to buy.

Sounds to me like anyone who even HINTS at not liking gays gets a swift kick in the ass by you because your daughter's gay.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2004, 03:12 PM

So what's the justification or motive in preventing gay people from getting married if they don't get in your face about it?

James L
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 03:14 PM

While I agree with the whole legal due process issue, and don't back anything that tries to circumvent the legal system I must ask... why are people so afraid of same sex marriages, or change, for that matter?

The US had to go to war to abolish slavery, bring in the national guard to abolish classroom segregation, etc... these seem like extreme measures to me. I especially think the comments along the lines of "having their lifestyle forced on me" are complete crap. Isn't America the land of the free? Aren't Americans in a war right now against dictatorship and persecution, in an effort to help a country establish a democracy (and please, no anti war retoric here... I am not even American).

If a same sex couple moved in two doors down ya know what? It wouldn't mean a damn thing to me. I am not racist. I am not prejudice. I do not judge others. If two human beings want to share their love for each other then dude, that's awesome. If I have to take some extra time to explain the deal to my kids then ya know what? That is great, I will be helping them be more accepting and less closed minded.

Surely slavery and racial segregation taught people something? I would hope people would realize that there is nothing to fear from same sex marriages.

Then again what do I know, I'm Canadian!

Cheers

p.s. I could use some help with my interior decorating though, the wife just isn't up to it!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 03:14 PM

See? Someone who thinks that just because I disagree that I'm "afraid" and "filled with fear". Moron.

How about this: I made as much of a choice to be hetero. Ooh...try and smack that one down, homey.

My kids might be happy that I'm hetero also. Ever think of it THAT way?

I respect people's choice to be gay so long as:

1) They don't get in my face about it
2) See #1

The same goes for anything else in my life from computers to cars or the kind of goddamn luggage I choose to buy.

Mike
You made the statement that won't hold water, Moron. You're the one who made an assertion that "the only group worse than gays in terms of trying to convert people ...," which, to me, is quite clearly non supportable.

I don't care if you do or don't like gays. I know who I am, my daughter knows who she is. Just don't make statements you can't back up.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2004, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
So what's the justification or motive in preventing gay people from getting married if they don't get in your face about it?
I haven't said there's anything preventing them from doing it except the way the law's written in California.

Mike

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2004, 03:16 PM

You made the statement that won't hold water, Moron. You're the one who made an assertion that "the only group worse than gays in terms of trying to convert people ...," which, to me, is quite clearly non supportable.
Really? You want the phone numbers of the people I'm talking about?

Just because YOUR experience is different from MY experience doesn't invalidate one OR the other.

Maybe nobody's made a move on you and you're pissed off about it

Mike

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2004, 03:17 PM

I haven't said there's anything preventing them from doing it except the way the law's written in California.

Mike
OK. I just assumed you had a problem with it if it were lawful because of the "...only group worse than the gays..." statement.

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by James L:
The US had to go to war to abolish slavery, bring in the national guard to abolish classroom segregation, etc...

Surely slavery and racial segregation taught people something?

Cheers

What does slavery abd segregation have to do with homosexuality. Might I refer you to the thread in the poli-louinge discussing Gay Myths. If you can wade throught the BS and read the articles.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 03:19 PM

Really? You want the phone numbers of the people I'm talking about?

Just because YOUR experience is different from MY experience doesn't invalidate one OR the other.

Mike
That was reall witty. Now we should wait for Spliffdaddy to issue you one of his prized SMACKDOWNS, so your day can be made.

gorickey
Posting Junkie

This thread is now about California courts that void gay nuptial licenses...

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast

I believe someone brought this up before. I will venture to guess that bringing up such a vote to the American people will get it knocked down so fast it would make peoples heads spin. This is why you will not see pro-gay marriage people wanting to vote on it.

Y'know, I've read a lot of your posts today about this particular issue, both in this thread and in others, and frankly, I don't believe you.

You've done a good job with your arguments, and generally not gotten personal, so bravo.

At the same time, it seems to me that even though your arguments claim to be about due process, they're embedded with a deep fear of (though not necessarily hatred of) gays in general.

Hey poll everyone! is djohnson:

Just confused?
The victim of our liberal witch hunt?
Misunderstood?
Really, REALLY afraid, so much he can't even admit it to himself?
Typing all his posts in a cute little chiffon number and stiletto heels?

I like to think it's mostly those last two.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

djohnson
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2004, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by dcolton:
Demonhood must be on vacation. But notice how civil a conversation can be when the liberals aren't playing their Demonhood backed bashing gamesz
Yes I noticed how civil it was.

dcolton  (op)
Banned

I don't care if you do or don't like gays. I know who I am, my daughter knows who she is. Just don't make statements you can't back up.
Name calling? Why do you always derail threads with your personal attacks. If you can't address the issue at hand, quit posting in threads that get your blood boiling. I would report you, but apparantly, you are one of the few Demonhood allows to consistently break the rules.

starman
Clinically Insane

OK. I just assumed you had a problem with it if it were lawful because of the "...only group worse than the gays..." statement.
No, no, it's just my experience with them. I've had gays talk to me about it in front of my wife which I find distateful and rude. Sorry, but after a while you tend to shy away from getting yourself in that kind of scenario again.

Mike

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 03:21 PM

Name calling? Why do you always derail threads with your personal attacks. If you can't address the issue at hand, quit posting in threads that get your blood boiling. I would report you, but apparantly, you are one of the few Demonhood allows to consistently break the rules.
You might want to read the post I was replying to, especially the first sentence.

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2004, 03:22 PM

Yes I noticed how civil it was.
Nevermind, karlG and others just entered the conversation. Countdown to lockination...

djohnson
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2004, 03:23 PM

Nevermind, karlG and others just entered the conversation. Countdown to lockination...
Yeah... You have a PM BTW.

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2004, 03:24 PM

You might want to read the post I was replying to, especially the first sentence.
Damn! Now I have to apologize to you and I don't really want to.

(Forget my last post too, you were replying in kind...okay in my book!)

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 03:26 PM

Some of you make me ashamed to be "straight."

Due process? Well, let's get on with the due process, then. There are people who love one another in this country having their rights infringed because they don't fit Christian norms of who to love.

The whole notion of it being a "lifestyle choice" is really utterly bizzare to me. I could no sooner make the "choice" to not be attracted to women than I could walk to the moon on stilts. I suspect the same would be true for most gays, as that's what the gay friends I've had have told me. How can we discriminate against people over a whim of birth? How is this any different from discriminating against people because of their skin color or age?

Add me to the long list of people sick of having the Bible sanctimoniously crammed down my throat by people who act out of fear and hatred. Those aren't exactly Christian attributes.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 03:33 PM

Nice move in the right direction. What elaboration do you need? That homosexuals and pro-gay zealots got smacked down for trying to hijack the political process...for trying to force their lifestyle on Californians and the rest of America.
Well, isn't the rest of America trying to force their lifestyle on them?

Sounds hypocritical to me.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2004, 03:37 PM

And since you take such joy in the fact people's rights are being taken away, I am sensing hateful overtones.
MindFad, I'm just wondering what makes you think there's some enshrined right for homosexuals to wed. Marriage is a universal cultural institution that has been with humanity since the dawn of time. The same cannot be said for homosexual unions. I personally don't care that much about whether or not homosexuals can consider themselves as married couples, but let's remain intellectually honest when we debate the subject.

A few tangental thoughts - Granting gay "marriage" could have the beneficial effect of reducing homosexual promiscuity. OTOH, I believe homosexuality is an evil inclination, and it simply shouldn't receive legal approbation. I do not believe sexual orientation is a choice - I am heterosexual and could never be anything other than heterosexual. Nonetheless, simply because an individual has a socially unacceptable desire, that person is not entitled to expect others to accept it. Polygamy and incest are unlawful practices, despite the fact consenting adults are involved. In addition, it really disturbs me to hear homosexual activists equate their campaign with that of the civil rights movement. If I were African American I would be incensed by such rhetoric. Meanwhile, while you bemoan an alleged loss of rights for gays, I imagine you have no concerns over the perpetual assault on the second amendment. It is decidedly unjust to have fringe elements foist their beliefs on the majority, with brazen disregard for the traditions and laws of the state.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
Well, isn't the rest of America trying to force their lifestyle on them?

Sounds hypocritical to me.
The rest of America isn't making a CHOICE, then asking for about special rights while attacking anyone who disagrees.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2004, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:

However, based on his past posting, the meaning of the thread is very clear. He's glad gay marriage is illegal again.
Again? It was never legal.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2004, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
MindFad, I'm just wondering what makes you think there's some enshrined right for homosexuals to wed. Marriage is a universal cultural institution that has been with humanity since the dawn of time. The same cannot be said for homosexual unions. I personally don't care that much about whether or not homosexuals can consider themselves as married couples, but let's remain intellectually honest when we debate the subject.

A few tangental thoughts - Granting gay "marriage" could have the beneficial effect of reducing homosexual promiscuity. OTOH, I believe homosexuality is an evil inclination, and it simply shouldn't receive legal approbation. I do not believe sexual orientation is a choice - I am heterosexual and could never be anything other than heterosexual. Nonetheless, simply because an individual has a socially unacceptable desire, that person is not entitled to expect others to accept it. Polygamy and incest are unlawful practices, despite the fact consenting adults are involved. In addition, it really disturbs me to hear homosexual activists equate their campaign with that of the civil rights movement. If I were African American I would be incensed by such rhetoric. Meanwhile, while you bemoan an alleged loss of rights for gays, I imagine you have no concerns over the perpetual assault on the second amendment. It is decidedly unjust to have fringe elements foist their beliefs on the majority, with brazen disregard for the traditions and laws of the state.
POST OF THE DAY AND THE BEST POST EVER IN ONE OF THESE DISCUSSIONS ABOUT GAY MARRIAGE!

(PS Don't be too vocal or Demonhood might ban you)

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 03:42 PM

Mike
If it is a female that made a 'move on you' would you be pissed? Because it happens to be a male you get pissed? Come on. I'm sure if you where in touch with your own sexuality, you would have nothing to be pissed about. Just tell them your straight and go about your business.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Some of you make me ashamed to be "straight."

Due process? Well, let's get on with the due process, then. There are people who love one another in this country having their rights infringed because they don't fit Christian norms of who to love.
You are confused about what due process is.
And marriage is not a right.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2004, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
If it is a female that made a 'move on you' would you be pissed? Because it happens to be a male you get pissed? Come on. I'm sure if you where in touch with your own sexuality, you would have nothing to be pissed about. Just tell them your straight and go about your business.
When it happens in front of the person who I decided to spend the rest of my life with, which is what the gays are trying to get legalized, I find it VERY, VERY wrong. Gays are trying to make gay marriage legal, and at the same time ignoring heterosexual unions by hitting on my in front of my wife. You're telling me THAT'S OK? Sounds like the biggest piece of hypocritical sh*t to me.

Mike

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 03:46 PM

The rest of America isn't making a CHOICE, then asking for about special rights while attacking anyone who disagrees.
I don't know why I'm bothering, because you can't answer, but......show me, and others who don't agree with you, how and when someone makes a choice to become gay or heterosexual. You won't, because you can't. Unless of course, you regurgitate the stuff you copied from that widely discredited organization in this thread.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 03:48 PM

When it happens in front of the person who I decided to spend the rest of my life with, which is what the gays are trying to get legalized, I find it VERY, VERY wrong. Gays are trying to make gay marriage legal, and at the same time ignoring heterosexual unions by hitting on my in front of my wife. You're telling me THAT'S OK? Sounds like the biggest piece of hypocritical sh*t to me.

Mike
When you were single, you never hit on a girl that had a boyfriend or that was married?

I've done this. Just because the girl is hanging out with a guy it doesn't mean they're together. It could be her brother for all I know

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2004, 03:56 PM

I don't know why I'm bothering, because you can't answer, but......show me, and others who don't agree with you, how and when someone makes a choice to become gay or heterosexual. You won't, because you can't. Unless of course, you regurgitate the stuff you copied from that widely discredited organization in this thread.
As long as you can keep it civil, I am more than happy to reply to any of your questions.

YOu say my source is discredited and I say that your sources are nothing but junk science. Gays have been tryong to prove that their choice is genetic for sometime now...but there is no proof. Instead, you get a bunch of like minded people who agree with a hypothesis and try to force it on society. If there is no proof that it is genetic, then it must be a choice. Now, I am not saying there aren't any deep psychological issues involved in choosing sucj a lifestyle, but I am sying that it is not genetic. Andasking me to prove it isn't genetic doesn't quite cut the mustard when you can't prove your position either.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by waxcrash:

Mike
Now, we're getting to the root of the issue with you. Some gay made a pass at you in front of your SO, so that means that all gays are out to steal attached heterosexuals' SOs. I hate to break this to you, but heterosexuals cheat on each other, a lot. Ever noticed that the divorce rate is around 50%. You think there might a reason for some of that? If I were still married, and a gay guy hit on me, I'd do exactly what waxcrash said, and then I'd move on with my life. I wouldn't carry it deep in my mind, where anger, fear, and irrational behavior originate from. Like I said before, I know who I am.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 03:57 PM

Mike
I've been dating and living with my girl for 6 years, it is like we are married. I can't tell you how many times I've been out with her where another guy has hit on her, a girl has hit on me, or a guy has hit on me with her standing right next to me. We are both mature and trusting in our relationship where we are not threatened by another person. Telling the interested party that you are not interested (whether they are male or female) is the adult thing to do. Life is too short to get pissed over it.

If they ignore your initial denial�then you have a right to get pissed.

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2004, 03:59 PM

Now, we're getting to the root of the issue with you. Some gay made a pass at you in front of your SO, so that means that all gays are out to steal attached heterosexuals' SOs. I hate to break this to you, but heterosexuals cheat on each other, a lot. Ever noticed that the divorce rate is around 50%. You think there might a reason for some of that? If I were still married, and a gay guy hit on me, I'd do exactly what waxcrash said, and then I'd move on with my life. I wouldn't carry it deep in my mind, where anger, fear, and irrational behavior originate from. Like I said before, I know who I am.
Why do you feel it necessary to try to psychanalyze someone who disagrees with the gay lifestyle? Just because his opinion differs from you doesn't mean he has issues.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2004, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
MindFad, I'm just wondering what makes you think there's some enshrined right for homosexuals to wed. Marriage is a universal cultural institution that has been with humanity since the dawn of time. The same cannot be said for homosexual unions.

I can't find a reasonable explanation as to why they can't or shouldn't be recognized. I find nothing fundamentally different between a woman and a woman getting married as compare to a man and a woman getting married�other than the fact that the first couple happen to share the same genitalia. "Tradition" isn't a reason to keep the same rights that opposite-sex married couples receive from those who share the same sex. They love each other the same, they care for each other the same, so why should the rights be taken away because they share the same sex organs if it doesn't harm the greater good? I see nothing but people grasping to find anything they see as negative in gay marriage as an excuse to prevent it from happening. I don't understand the "well, why should we let them!?" argument. I can't find reasonable analysis why not. Things aren't so universal.

I personally don't care that much about whether or not homosexuals can consider themselves as married couples, but let's remain intellectually honest when we debate the subject.
I find nothing intellectually honest about such an argument. Quite the contrary, actually.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2004, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by soul searching:
When you were single, you never hit on a girl that had a boyfriend or that was married?

I've done this. Just because the girl is hanging out with a guy it doesn't mean they're together. It could be her brother for all I know
No. Never. I respect other people's relationships.

Mike

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2004, 04:04 PM

Why do you feel it necessary to try to psychanalyze someone who disagrees with the gay lifestyle? Just because his opinion differs from you doesn't mean he has issues.
Because his daughter's gay. He has a MUCH different perspective on it, and his age doesn't help because he's not "out there" like a lot of us are.

But you're right, I don't like people that think that just because you ever-so-slightly disagree with something that you automatically become a "hater".

Mike

Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 04:05 PM

Well, if people think that being gay is a choice, then it follows that being hetero is also a choice. There isn't anything special about the rights they are asking for, they are just asking for equality. In this case, I think they have the right to be defensive. Their rights are not being given to them.

This whole issue has many of the overtones that the slave issue had way back when. Freedom was thought to be something that only white people deserved? Why? I have no clue.. hate maybe? Same with marriage, it's something that a lot of people think that only straight people deserve, why? I am really confused.

No one has the right to force their beliefs on someone else. Allowing same-sex marriages would not harm heteros, nor would it be forcing any beliefs on them. If one really thinks that being gay is a choice, then explain to me, how a law that allows same-sex marriages is going to force anyone to be gay, or how it's forcing ones beliefs on another.

In any case, marriage is not a Christian thing. Believe it or not, but a staggering majority of the world is not Christian. There is absolutely no reason why marriage should be argued with Christian rules. It's quite inappropriate.

I think things will change, when these older generations make way to the younger generations whose minds are more open.

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2004, 04:05 PM

No. Never. I respect other people's relationships.

Mike
Exactly. Called having a moral compass. And when it comes down to it, that is the difference between many of those who support the gay agenda and those who do not.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 12, 2004, 04:06 PM

(PS Don't be too vocal or Demonhood might ban you)
Give that garbage a rest. You have no idea what you are talking about.

And off to politics it goes.
Nemo me impune lacesset

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2004, 04:07 PM

Exactly. Called having a moral compass. And when it comes down to it, that is the difference between many of those who support the gay agenda and those who do not.
This is the same reason why my best friend is the one of the hottest women you'll ever know. Fact is, I don't "fool around" with her because it's disrepectful to my own marriage. My wife trusts me because she knows I'm not going to do anything stupid.

Mike

boardsurfer
Aug 12, 2004, 04:12 PM

Mike

wow. issues dude, issues.

dang.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2004, 04:17 PM

Exactly. Called having a moral compass.
Yeah, in the Bermuda Triangle of "morals."

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 12, 2004, 04:18 PM

Let's hear it for masked hate, ignorance, and FUD.
Are you on that board?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2004, 04:24 PM

O 'sup?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 04:33 PM

Look through these pictures and tell me what you see.

http://www.ephemera.org/sets/?album=justlymarried

I don't see anything but happy people. Tell me, who are they harming?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2004, 04:37 PM

Obviously they are littering the steps of city hall with flower petals.

Good pics, by the way.
( Last edited by MindFad; Aug 12, 2004 at 04:43 PM. )

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 04:41 PM

They just are harmful; apparently, that's all the justification some people need.

Thanks for the link, nice shots.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 04:53 PM

ill tell you what i dont see... hot lesbian on lesbian action

Forum Links
Forum Rules