Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17 inch vs. 15 inch....my torture for the evening

17 inch vs. 15 inch....my torture for the evening
thekapper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 12:38 AM

Okay...getting a new Powerbook G4 to replace the iBook G4 I have right now. My mother is taking the iBook and paying me for it.

So the big choice comes...I want a Superdrive and I'm torn between going for the 17-inch refurbished from the Apple Store for 2399 plus tax, which would make it approx 2600 bucks for me.

..or the 15-inch from amazon for the $2399 plus quicker shipping.

Other than the two inches of screen they seem to be the identical machine.

I'm really leaning towards the 15 inch because I think the 17 inch would be too big. I have seen them both in person but that doesn't really count that much IMHO because you don't get to put it on your lap and use it at an Apple Store. I'm wondering if anyone bought the 17 inch and then thought it was too big? (phallic humor aside)

What would everyone reccommend?

I know this has likely been asked before but I couldn't readily find the article while searching.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 02:20 AM

I don't really think the 17" is too big. I personally have a 15" here because I found it to be the perfect size for me. That being said if someone had given me a 17" I wouldn't have thought it to be too big. It's only a little bit wider than my current PB. Internally I believe they are just about the same (spec wise that is). The 17" runs a bit cooler IIRC because the larger case allows for better cooling.

You may find however that the 17" is just a tad too big to fit in certain packs and such. That's not really a big deal if you don't mind looking around for one that will fit. It's not like it's too big for every computer bag ever made!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 03:13 AM

While the 15" is a terrific product (actually I first bought a Rev A 15" 1.25) i have switched to 17". Personally (your mileage may vary) I see the following possibilities:

- 17" PB: if you have moderate mobility requirements, nice to work anywhere (dev stuff, FCP etc.)
- 12" with external screen: if you take your PB anywhere but work a lot at one place

I personally found the 15" to be a compromise (not enough screen "real estate", but still major impact on mobility).
The 17" is not that bigger to move around!

workerbee
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 04:56 AM

As a former 15" TiBook and current 17" AIBook (1.33GHz) owner, I'd go for the 15" if I was you.
The 17" is very nice, excellent screen, very quiet, etc.; but it's really huge, quite a bit heavier than the 15". The display itself is so heavy that the PB is constatly about to fall down backwards when I use it on my knees. When the PB G5 (or whatever) appears, I'll go back to the more reasonable 15" (and maybe get a Cinema Display with it).
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

thekapper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 12:17 PM

Thanks.....I decided to go with the 15 inch. I was really swayed by the guy who says the screen is so heavy it almost falls over while on his lap. I will use it a lot on my lap while I am at home, so that really matters to me.

Thanks to everyone for their input, you're all great!

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 01:18 PM

Not sure what he's doing, my 17" is very comfortable on my lap.

mike3k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 01:54 PM

Go for the 15". I bought the new 15" 1.5 GHz/SuperDrive model a few months ago and I love it. I'm using it as my primary work machine.

It has exactly the same features as the 17" including the backlit keyboard, but it's much lighter to carry around.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 11, 2004, 02:00 PM

I find the 17" too big to carry around. Even the 15" is bulkier than I'd prefer. YMMV.

zimbardo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 02:24 PM

Although the 17" is about 1.2 pounds heavier than the 15", the 17" is not really much bigger than the 15" model. In fact the 17" is only 2.2" wider and less than 0.75 inches deeper than the 15". So if you can put up with the size of the 15", the 17" is really not much bigger.

And the 17" computer's fan rarely needs to come on as it does not get nearly as hot as most PC laptops and many other Powerbook models.

But, the real difference is the display. The 15" is almost there for me, but that 17" display is incredible! The quality of the display has improved dramatically since the 17" was first introduced! I want to have the display of a desktop computer and the ability to travel with my computer when ncessary. For me, the 17" is the best option.

moep
Senior User
Aug 11, 2004, 02:57 PM

another vote for the 17" here. I tested both PBs for two days and then decided to get the 17", since the additional screen-realestate is just a must for me. I tried the 15" first, which already was a big step up from my old 12" ibook... but the 17" display makes all other notebooks I've run across so far look like cheap toys. I couldn't imagine going back to a smaller screen, even though the 17" is a handful to haul around.

btw, I'd wait till september, I think we might see a new G4-Revision soon... something like 1.7 Ghz and the new Mobility Radeon 9800Pro (which is based on ATI's X800 Desktop-Chip, NOT the old 9800Pro/R-350).
Either way, be sure to get the 5400rpm HD and at least another 512MB Module...
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 03:17 PM

Actually, I'm torn between the two myself. Unless the screen size is the end all, I'd recommend go with the 15".

For recent history, I've had the 1GHz Titanium, 1GHz 17", 1.25GHz 15", and now 1.5GHz 17". I moved from the 15" to the 17" mainly due to the fact that the rev A 15" logic board died and it ended up taking a month with multiple repairs to get it finally fixed. I couldn't go that long without a machine and got the 17" when the new ones came out since I figured I'd get the top of the line.

For those that say the 17" is as or more comfortable on the lap, I guess we are from different species. I'm 6 foot but the 15" is much easier on the lap. I can use it all day, but the 17" starts to get uncomfortable after a while.

I haven't tried the latest 15", but both 17" models I've tried usually feel a little cooler, probably because there is more surface area to remove heat.

I have to say, I'm really, really considering selling the 17" and getting a 15". It's a great machine, but I've had some long business trips recently and the 17" was a real drag (literally). I take it between work and home every day and use it around the house at home. I'm used to this. But on a week trip in Japan, visting customers and spending hours on their subway trains, by the end of the day I was in serious pain from lugging this thing around all the time. It's also just unusable in coach on a plane. I don't know what seats others are in but there is no way to use this size reasonably if the person in front reclines at all (which of course they always do). Even the 15" isn't very comfortable in coach but it would be better than the 17".

Finally a last comment on size. I know the 17" isn't much bigger but it really crosses a thresold for me personally. I can live with the extra width, but the extra .75" in depth is awful to me. It means the unit is very uncomfortable to hold if I cross my legs. Then it's either on the edge of my knees or pushing into regions I don't want it to go. Additionally, I'm used to balancing a hand on the front edge and reaching the trackpad and keys from there on every PowerBook I've had since they came out (beginning with the PowerBook 140!). But on the 17" this is a stretch and just makes it uncomfortable as a laptop. Without this extra depth, I'd live with the weight and width but it's a real problem for me.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

AlenShapiro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 03:33 PM

In a recent telephone call to Apple Support (my AlBook 15" 1.5Ghz had overheated and taken the Hard Drive with it) I was warned that these wonderfully portable machine that can run for hours with no tethers are actually "not laptops, they're PowerBooks" (direct support staff quote). i.e. if you use one on your lap, or bed etc. and an overheating event occurs, your use of the machine may come under the, all too often used, "abuse" category.

I use mine on a desk at work and on my lap in the subway, airport, bedroom, bathroom (yeah... I know, I don't shower with it).

Just a warning to be careful how you describe your use of these, truly wonderful, machines to official Apple staff.

manero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by AlenShapiro:
In a recent telephone call to Apple Support (my AlBook 15" 1.5Ghz had overheated and taken the Hard Drive with it) I was warned that these wonderfully portable machine that can run for hours with no tethers are actually "not laptops, they're PowerBooks" (direct support staff quote). i.e. if you use one on your lap, or bed etc. and an overheating event occurs, your use of the machine may come under the, all too often used, "abuse" category.
Man, that is absolutely ridiculous. If I were calling them and they pulled that on me, I'd probably fly off the handle

Ned Soltz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 03:51 PM

I am able to buy at educational pricing by virtue of administering a university alumni forum. Apple Store in Plano, TX was excellent in being able to validate my credentials and sell to me at academic pricing from store inventory. Having said that, I went with the 17" after intending to buy a 15" simply because it was close to the same price. How? The stock 15" comes with 2x256 dimms. The model with 1x512 was special order and extra charge. Since I needed the machine ASAP, that would also have involved a FedEx overnight charge in addition. The stock 17" ships with 1x512 dimm, thus allowing me to add another 512 to bring the machine to 1 gig. I figured that was a difference of less than $75, factoring in FedEx overnight as well as the 3rd party 512 dimm shipped overnight. I don't regret it. The 17" is more to schlep but I use my PB, among other things, as a remote Final Cut Pro studio. The extra screen real estate makes a big difference in FCP.

Ned Soltz

ecrelin
Aug 11, 2004, 09:50 PM

Workerbee is dreaming, this book will not fall over in your lap, I have a 1.33 that I use on my lap all the time, I am very mechanically aware and the lower part of the book weighs at least two and maybe three times more than the sceen (check the specs on the components). My bag fits it fine and it isn't noticably heavier than my 14" Lombard. If you were mountain climbing or running a marathon you might suffer from the weight, but then you wouldn't be buying a 15" either. This is the best book Apple has ever made, I haven't met one rational person who owns one who thinks otherwise. If you haven't bought the 15" yet go get the 17". Thinking that the book is top heavy and that being a reson not to buy it is quite frankly quite stupid.

mudboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 10:23 PM

and bought a 15".. .17" just always felt too damn big. loved my 12' more than any, butnot enogh screen real estate. i will say the 17" was spectacular, but ive had the 15" for two days and i love it...much better display than the 12" and great keyboard...the 17" display did feel like it was falling over like the previous poster said..

mirth23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 10:36 PM

It really depends on your needs. I have had a 15" TiBook for the last couple of years. It has served me pretty well as my only machine and laptop. I recently got a personal Power Mac, and am going to be getting a 12" AlBook through work as a replacement for my TiBook (because it has problems with one of its hinges, and I am no longer allowed to use a personal machine for work).

I had my choice of any PowerBook and I'm not paying a dime, so why a 12"? I find the 15" tends to get my shoulder sore when I tote it around all the time. It virtually impossible to use in most airline seats. The battery life is pretty horrible, and it's better in the 12" due to the smaller display size (and I don't want to have to tote around a spare battery for weight reasons). I can carry a smaller bag to carry the 12". I also have a larger display at work to hook into.

This is a good choice for me because I primarily use my laptop for work, and I travel frequently. If you are primarily going to use your laptop at the same desk with no extra monitor, I'd go for something larger (I would have gone with another 15" if I didn't also get the PowerMac). If you aren't lugging it around much, or don't mind the weight, a 17" makes sense, especially if you use applications that take up a lot of screen real estate. It really depends on what you want to do with the thing; they are both great machines.

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 12:30 AM

I have a 15al and I love it. I would have gone for the 17 cuz of the screen size, but it seemed too big and heavy. I am a teacher and I bring my 15 in every week day to run the entire English department (the school has old powermac still running on the Japanese version of 9.2). Because I move it daily, I am happy with the 15, but if I did not plan to move it so often, I would recommend the 17, coz it runs so much cooler and the larger screen is nice.

But if you plan to be mobile often, go with the 15. A student of mine has the 17 and brings it to school, but honestly, as nice as it is, it does not seem worth the extra price when you factor in ease of mobility.

- PJ
24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2004, 11:09 AM

After having owned a TiPB and a PB17, I really believe that if you want mobility, get a 12"PB. Add an external LCD display for your office/home setup.

glhart
Aug 12, 2004, 01:13 PM

I have both a 12 and a 17". I tend to use (and even carry around) the 17" -- I bought the 12" for mobility, but find the screen is a bit too small for serious use and am contemplating selling it on eBay. I used a 15" before (Titanium 800), but find that for me the 17" is preferable because of the large screen. It's all subjective, and somewhat dependent on one's age. As I get older, I find myself less able to deal with smaller pixels. It's true that you can use a 12" and hook it into a larger monitor. I've done that, but find it too much of a hassle. The nice thing about the 17" is that it's perfectly portable (only 2.3 pounds more than the 12") and, for me, is much easier and more pleasant to work on than the 12 or 15".

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Aug 12, 2004, 02:22 PM

If you want mobility - get the 12''.
There isn`t that much of a difference between the 15 and the 17.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

sbc
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by moep:
btw, I'd wait till september, I think we might see a new G4-Revision soon... something like 1.7 Ghz and the new Mobility Radeon 9800Pro (which is based on ATI's X800 Desktop-Chip, NOT the old 9800Pro/R-350).
I may not be in the know, but I thought they would not revise the PB nor the video card until the introduction of the G5 PB; which I am already aware is a longtime off from an announcement.

Will future ATI products and PCI-express be compatible with current PB's?
Am I ready for the Mac? I want a 60G iPod!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules