Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Toast and burning AVI files as DVDs

Toast and burning AVI files as DVDs
zgall1
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2004, 11:44 PM

I would like to use Toast to burn AVI files to a DVD that will play in a standard DVD player. As of now, I have been unable to do this because as soon as Toast is finished encoding the AVI file, I get a vague error message (it only provides a number) and it says it cannot burn. I suspect it is because Toast cannot properly encode these files. Is there any software that will be able to convert these files to something that Toast can burn or is there any way around these error messages using Toast alone?

Thanks a lot for your help

Zack

VEGAN
Senior User
Aug 14, 2004, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by zgall1:
I would like to use Toast to burn AVI files to a DVD that will play in a standard DVD player. As of now, I have been unable to do this because as soon as Toast is finished encoding the AVI file, I get a vague error message (it only provides a number) and it says it cannot burn. I suspect it is because Toast cannot properly encode these files. Is there any software that will be able to convert these files to something that Toast can burn or is there any way around these error messages using Toast alone?

Thanks a lot for your help

Zack
When you talk about "AVI" do you mean something like "mpeg-4"?
If that is the case, first of all you need to do a lot of re-encoding since most .avi files are not in the standard DVD size.
I'm rather surprized you are trying to do this with Toast anyway. I know Toast allows mpeg-1 conversion but as far I recall it doesn't do mpeg-2 conversion [most DVD I've seen are mpeg-2; QuickTime can do it if you have the component and at least G4].

Normally I'd suggest you get some freeware tool (Sizzle comes to mind) to do the actual DVD. Before that, however, you need to do a lot of re-encoding (There are free tools to do it, I think "Grumpy 48" might do it). Including the sound.

I don't remember right now the specs for DVDs but if you want to go on with your "project" I suggest you take a look.

-Q-
Aug 14, 2004, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by VEGAN:
When you talk about "AVI" do you mean something like "mpeg-4"?
If that is the case, first of all you need to do a lot of re-encoding since most .avi files are not in the standard DVD size.
No, I think he means some DIVX-encoded AVI file he found on the 'web. AVI is a just a file-wrapper - there can be any number of codecs used on the video itself to compress it down. DiVX, XVID, 3ivx, etc. I believe there are tools out there to do that, but I"ve not taken the time track them down.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2004, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by VEGAN:

I'm rather surprized you are trying to do this with Toast anyway. I know Toast allows mpeg-1 conversion but as far I recall it doesn't do mpeg-2 conversion
1. Toast 5 only did VCDs. Toast 6 also does SVCDs and DVDs

2. VCD spec MPEG 1 video is also compliant with the DVD spec (though I don't think the audio is)

VEGAN
Senior User
Aug 15, 2004, 06:16 AM

Originally posted by -Q-:
No, I think he means some DIVX-encoded AVI file he found on the 'web. AVI is a just a file-wrapper - there can be any number of codecs used on the video itself to compress it down. DiVX, XVID, 3ivx, etc. I believe there are tools out there to do that, but I"ve not taken the time track them down.
DiVX, XVID, 3iVX are mpeg-4 variants...

VEGAN
Senior User
Aug 15, 2004, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by Uncle Skeleton:
1. Toast 5 only did VCDs. Toast 6 also does SVCDs and DVDs
That I didn't know.

2. VCD spec MPEG 1 video is also compliant with the DVD spec (though I don't think the audio is)
I know that, but I was wondering out aloud why would someone want to do mpeg-1 DVDs.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2004, 07:33 AM

Toast 6 can do MPEG-2 AFAIK.

Why not contact Roxio support with the error number and ask them what it means?

Forum Links
Forum Rules