Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Been thinking about moving to another country...

Been thinking about moving to another country...
splatq
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2004, 06:21 PM

I've been pondering a bit over the last few weeks and I've come to some really strange conclusions. I haven't really taken any risks in my life. I've wondered what it would be like to move to a totally different place, and basically start over from scratch.

I'm currently single; I have a cushy job that pays me well, and I have nothing that would prevent me from dropping everything and moving abroad.

I've visited a few other countries before and while I did enjoy my stays there immensely, I couldn't wait to get back home afterward. I'm seriously contemplating immigrating to maybe Australia or New Zealand. I'm leaning more towards NZ at the moment, but my opinions may change (and probably will).

Has anyone done such a thing before? I'm wondering how my family would feel on the subject.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2004, 06:24 PM

Why another country instead of just a new state or something?

Just wondering.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 16, 2004, 06:25 PM

I considered doing the same thing last year. Just selling pretty much everything I own, and moving to another country. I like my G4 and my Cartoon Network too much to do it though. But it's still on my mind.

For me, it wouldn't be that hard to pull off. I am young, I am not in school at the moment, I have no 'career', I have no friends, not one member of my immediate family is within 5 states of me, and I hate Oklahoma.

Hmmm...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite

Come to Europe, it's really good overhere But I would also choose NZ, beautiful country !

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster

Don't. You'd have to adjust to new everything. You say you have a well paying job to support your family, why dump it to go down under? It sounds like one of those things that looks good at first, but ends up not being as good as you thought, or even worse.
Keep your job and family here. Starting from scratch will be a bitch.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 06:29 PM

I think I'll stab myself repeatedly, an see if the paramedics get here in time to patch me up..

If you want some change go ahead, but make sure you're not screwing yourself in the process.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2004, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
I have no 'career', I have no friends, not one member of my immediate family is within 5 states of me, and I hate Oklahoma.
Wow, sounds like you are happy as a clam...

splatq  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2004, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Why another country instead of just a new state or something?

Just wondering.
I'm not too sure. I've thought of moving back to Florida (where I grew up), but it's a place I've been before. Nothing new there. I've lived in, or visited, almost EVERY state in the US. I've only yet to visit Hawaii, Alaska, Nebraska & Colorado, I think. Other than those 4 states, there's not a whole left to discover. Time to expand my horizons and all that.

splatq  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2004, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Come to Europe, it's really good overhere But I would also choose NZ, beautiful country !
Where you born in EU, or did you move there?

kiwibabe
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2004, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by splatq:
I've been pondering a bit over the last few weeks and I've come to some really strange conclusions. I haven't really taken any risks in my life. I've wondered what it would be like to move to a totally different place, and basically start over from scratch.

I'm currently single; I have a cushy job that pays me well, and I have nothing that would prevent me from dropping everything and moving abroad.

I've visited a few other countries before and while I did enjoy my stays there immensely, I couldn't wait to get back home afterward. I'm seriously contemplating immigrating to maybe Australia or New Zealand. I'm leaning more towards NZ at the moment, but my opinions may change (and probably will).

Has anyone done such a thing before? I'm wondering how my family would feel on the subject.
Come to New Zealand! The people are friendly and helpful, the lifestyle is great. What you really need to decide is where to live:
Auckland - Biggest city, lots of culture, up to 2 hour drive to get anywhere as the traffic system is very very bad, sub-tropical weather (i.e rain showers maybe 5 days a week)
Wellington - Capital city, cafe culture and arts are big, very hilly, can be quite windy.
Christchurch - Called the garden city, very flat I get lost there cause there are no hills etc to figure out what direction I'm in, good weather most of the time, 2 hour drive to the snow fields
Dunedin - university town, both hilly and flat, lots of things to do (biking, hiking) good cafe culture, 3 hours drive to Queenstown and the snow. Also close to national parks (3-4) hours. The weather is pretty changeable, can be sunny one minute and snowing the next. Most of the time the weather isnt bad at all.

The good thing about NZ at the moment is that unemployment is very low (4.9%) there are not enough skilled people for the number of jobs available, so they offer lots of money.

Mind you Australia is tempting with its hot temperatures.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 07:23 PM

I'm not too sure. I've thought of moving back to Florida (where I grew up), but it's a place I've been before. Nothing new there. I've lived in, or visited, almost EVERY state in the US. I've only yet to visit Hawaii, Alaska, Nebraska & Colorado, I think. Other than those 4 states, there's not a whole left to discover. Time to expand my horizons and all that.
Not everything is about discovery. Just find a place you'd like to live and stay there. If you wanted discovery, then you shouldn't have had a family. Cuz pretty soon EUrope will be boring, Australia will be boring, etc. Striving for something different because it's different isn't always the best.
I'm happy in my blue-collar town in PA.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
then you shouldn't have had a family.
He's single.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 07:45 PM

My bad. Shouldn't have a family.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 07:46 PM

I wouldn't go in cold without knowing anyone. If you're gonna move, do some research and meet some people from where you're going. MacNN is a good start.

I say if you have the money and the opportunity - do it. Even if you hate it, it's still a cool experience. Best to do it now than to wait, then look back and wish you did.

I'm planning to move to eiher Miami of Sanf Fran, so I'm in the same boat as you (just smaller scale).

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2004, 07:47 PM

My uncle emigrated to New Zealand from England in the early 50s. He never went back, not even for a visit. My father, who is American, eventually settled in England. I was raised in England, but eventually went back to the US. So did my sister, but my brother is still in the UK. Whetever floats your boat.

However, do make sure you check on those practical details and don't over romanticize wherever you dream of going. Find out if you need a visa, and how long it is good for. See if you will be able to get a work permit. Make sure you will be eligible for things like health insurance, and educational benefits (if you still have schooling to get). Find out if the qualifications you have will be recognized. Make sure you have somewhere to live when you get there. You should make sure you have enough money to get by for several months in case you don't find work right away. Make sure you also have enough to buy a car, and pay for rent AND deposits. Find out what it will take for you to establish credit in your new country. Little things like that can kill you. You will think that everything just transfers, but it doesn't.

My own experience is that even though I was "emigrating" to a country where I had citizenship and family, it still took me a good 5 years to get established. Really, I am still getting established, and it has been almost 17 years. It also takes a long time to get to know people in a new place. If you are in college, it is easy to make friends in a new place. But it is much harder for grown adults. Expect to be very, very, lonely for a while.

Also, don't forget that wherever you live, you still have to get up, go to work, and do all the same routine things you did before. Life isn't paradise anywhere.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 07:51 PM

My friend count is relatively low as well... but that's mostly my own fault. That's why I'm stuck with you guys

I'd rather just visit another country first - the most foreign I've gotten is Canada... which is really not that different from the U.S. in most of the immediate ways.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 07:54 PM

I'd move to New Zealand in a heartbeat if my wife wouldn't be depressed for lack of friends.

Good luck whatever you choose.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Atomic Rooster
Aug 16, 2004, 08:02 PM

I'd love to move to New Zealand.

Why?

Cuz it's so fukking far away from all the nutters.

I could probably stop taking my prozac.

Now if they would only drive on the right side of the road...I'm sure I'd kill somebody.

kiwibabe
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2004, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:
I'd love to move to New Zealand.

Why?

Cuz it's so fukking far away from all the nutters.

I could probably stop taking my prozac.

Now if they would only drive on the right side of the road...I'm sure I'd kill somebody.
The thing you must remember is that there are nutters everywhere, there are just less people here and therefore less nutters

I wont comment on the driving thing, its a difference of opinion

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2004, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by kiwibabe:
The thing you must remember is that there are nutters everywhere, there are just less people here and therefore less nutters

I wont comment on the driving thing, its a difference of opinion
I thought about moving to Alaska, but then I figured out that the beauty would wear off after a few cold winters.

Australia... good luck getting in. They basically say no to everyone that doesn't get married to someone from there...

splatq  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2004, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Australia... good luck getting in. They basically say no to everyone that doesn't have criminal record.
Zing! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I'm going to think it over for a few days and then possibly file my "Expression of Interest" form.

John G. Smith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2004, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
I am young, I am not in school at the moment, I have no 'career', I have no friends, not one member of my immediate family is within 5 states of me, and I hate Oklahoma.
Man is that depressing. See my thread: How did you end up with such a miserable life?

milf
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2004, 09:01 PM

I'm glad to not be the only one with this consideration. I'd love to head back to Europe for another couple years. I lived in Germany for several years growing up. I enjoyed the lifestyle (drink beer), the friends I made (while drinking beer), and of course the beer! My biggest hesitation, however, is leaving my family behind. They're of utmost importance to me and I enjoy being in their presence...or at least less than a short flight away. At the same time, I'm kicking myself in need of change. Currently live in DC, but am considering moving to NYC. Some consider that almost like moving to a new country. Good friends up there...don't think I'd enjoy even colder winters though.
Just my $.02 :-)
Ti Powerbook 1Ghz w/ Superdrive ......and lovin' it! :)

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Australia... good luck getting in. They basically say no to everyone that doesn't get married to someone from there...
Not necessarily - check out what the rules are, I know that 'skilled' people can be accepted fairly easily - if your qualifications are what is lacking in this country. Although it is much harder for someone young to get in (less qualifications) than someone older (with job experience and many qualifications)

Good luck - I say to really investigate what you're getting into, but don't stay where you are simply because of safety. You only live once.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 16, 2004, 10:15 PM

Ah... But I am a moderator at the largest Mac message board, and I have cats. What more could I need from life?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ambush
Banned
Aug 16, 2004, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
Don't. You'd have to adjust to new everything. You say you have a well paying job to support your family, why dump it to go down under? It sounds like one of those things that looks good at first, but ends up not being as good as you thought, or even worse.
Keep your job and family here. Starting from scratch will be a bitch.
LISTEN TO THE VOICE OF REASON.

Kiddo, you don't understand how adults feel... one day maybe... when you'll be sick & tired of being sick & tired. it'll come soon enough. you'll want to get the **** out.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 11:20 PM

Dude, move to New Zealand. I went there once. That place is sweeeeet

Besides, the US sucks.

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 12:05 AM

good idea! get out before they confiscate your ipod!!

NZ is a great place I'm told!

historylme
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 01:35 AM

Last year, I left my job as a history professor at a Los Angeles Community College and moved to France... living on my savings.

I learned French and eventually had to come back because I couldn't get a legal job (and no hot Frenchie girl would marry me).

But over all... it was awesome-- life changing.

You never know what you will discover of the world and of yourself.

GO FOR IT.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 05:26 AM

Where you born in EU, or did you move there?
I was born in Belgium and I'm half French, half Belgian.

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 05:39 AM

I'd love to live in the UK for starters and see the rest of Europe on my own timetable. Unfortunately, if I wanted to live in London, I think i'd have to make some extremely decent money to have disposable income after paying for all the various taxes. (council taxes, NHS tax, income tax, and whatever else tax)

Four posts to go...
F = ma

steveismyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2004, 05:41 AM

Hey man, swap with me for a year or two and we'll both find out. You can have my flat in Stockholm, Sweden and I take your crib. I'll even throw in a couple of friends and free access to my dad's car.

It's not bad here, it's clean and people adore americans (really, we do).
Steve is better tahn you!

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 05:41 AM

Yea, come to Belgium !! It rules, plus we have +350 types of beer for you to try ...

and don't forget the chocolate ...

Hmm, I've lived in Belgium, Chile and the US. I like BE the most, it's home, I'd take a looong vacation, and then come back home ...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2004, 05:42 AM

A few years ago, I was in a similar situation. I had been to about 30 States and Canada and Mexico, but (being single) I took a job in Singapore.
It hasn't always been the easiest but it was one of the best choices I've ever made. I've been working abroad for more than 4 years now.
Sometimes I get homesick and think of moving back (getting a car, seeing more than 2 NFL games a week, etc).
But living abroad has been the best. I've done more travelling than I ever thought possible, Oz, a good part of Europe and most of Asia. A few months ago, I turned down a job in Cairo to stay in Singapore since my g/f has a very good job and we've kicked the idea of marriage around a bit (she's Malaysian Chinese and London-educated, so another perk of living abroad).

A couple of things to consider. Immigration isn't always easy. Australia and New Zealand (also on my list of possible future homes) can be difficult and take time. And the taxes are high. Europe is getting a little more difficult with the EU laws.
Asia is still recovering from the last period of economic downturn and so expat contracts aren't as sweet as they were a few years ago.
Finally, no matter where you go, there you are. So if you're bored in one town, or one country, you might feel the same way somewhere else.
But if you can do it, my suggestion is go for it. You can always return home if it doesn't work out, but you'll be miserable if you always have that "what if?" going on in the back of your mind.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 05:43 AM

Originally posted by milhous:
Four posts to go...
Till this?

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by d.fine:
Yea, come to Belgium !! It rules, plus we have +350 types of beer for you to try ...

and don't forget the chocolate ...
yeeeeep

frownyfrank
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2004, 05:56 AM

I also moved to France because my life in the states was horribly boring at the time, and you should definitely go for it. I've never been to NZ but like any other culture you'll be surprised at the small differences. Suddenly nothing is boring because almost everything is different.

I think too many Americans stay at home. Living abroad forces you to open your mind. If you can afford it, I would absolutely encourage you, even if financially risky. Do it now while you still have the choice, later on you might have more responsibilities that you can't get away from.

Cheers!

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2004, 07:45 AM

Has anyone done such a thing before?...
Yes, no less than 5 countries in 12 years, three of them illegally, but what the hell. Of all the countries I've visted though, I would give France and Australia the top marks.
weird wabbit

Jan Van Boghout
Aug 17, 2004, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
yeeeeep
Pfft, Belgium is overrated, we just have beer to have something to do while it rains for weeks and weeks

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2004, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
LISTEN TO THE VOICE OF REASON.

Kiddo, you don't understand how adults feel... one day maybe... when you'll be sick & tired of being sick & tired. it'll come soon enough. you'll want to get the **** out.
Um, with all due respect, but...

I don't think you are anyone to be calling anybody "kiddo".

Unless you were taking the piss, or something.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2004, 09:13 AM

To the original poster:

If you can, get out. Live places, visit other places. Places affect you; they educate you, and they open your mind - if you let them.

You won't know if where/how you're living now really is as good as it gets - chances are, it's not.

-chris (spent fifteen years abroad and is currently very contently staying put where he is)

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 09:22 AM

I came to china on a 1 month holiday and have stayed for 3 years
Its worth a bit of risk, you only live once, my family think its cool.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 09:38 AM

splatq: I can relate to what you're going through. I went through something similar last year. So I decided to do something about it. Eight months ago, I took a job on an island in the Pacific Ocean called Saipan (part of the Northern Marianas Islands). It has been one of the BEST decisions I've ever made in my life! Like you, I was getting bored and restless and I wanted a change...a BIG change. Like Randman said, if you don't at least try, then you'll always wonder "what if?"

You know what? I don't wonder "what if" anymore.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
Pfft, Belgium is overrated, we just have beer to have something to do while it rains for weeks and weeks
Hey hey, watch out

Yeeeeep is more like it

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2004, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by milhous:
I'd love to live in the UK for starters and see the rest of Europe on my own timetable. Unfortunately, if I wanted to live in London, I think i'd have to make some extremely decent money to have disposable income after paying for all the various taxes. (council taxes, NHS tax, income tax, and whatever else tax)

Four posts to go...
There is a lot more to the UK than London!

Is a very over rated and hellishly expensive place to live. I live in Leeds [near York] the biggest city in Yorkshire which is 200 miles north of London, an awesome city [5th biggest in uk] that is growing at an amazing pace. The nightlife is awesome, the shopping also and u are 30 mins from the Yorkshire Dales with beautiful scenery and a totally different, relaxing way of life.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
What more do you want ?

Nicko
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
splatq: I can relate to what you're going through. I went through something similar last year. So I decided to do something about it. Eight months ago, I took a job on an island in the Pacific Ocean called Saipan (part of the Northern Marianas Islands). It has been one of the BEST decisions I've ever made in my life! Like you, I was getting bored and restless and I wanted a change...a BIG change. Like Randman said, if you don't at least try, then you'll always wonder "what if?"

You know what? I don't wonder "what if" anymore.

Agree 100% I mean, I never thought I would work in w.africa. It gets better though, I'm moving to Nairobi next week
Its wild.

Big change good.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
To the original poster:

If you can, get out. Live places, visit other places. Places affect you; they educate you, and they open your mind - if you let them.

You won't know if where/how you're living now really is as good as it gets - chances are, it's not.

-chris (spent fifteen years abroad and is currently very contently staying put where he is)
Excellent advice.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 01:01 PM

Well, according to the latest research by the UN, Norway is the best country in the world to live in.. so I suggest you move here

splatq  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2004, 05:24 PM

Thanks for a lot of the advice, I've been re-affirming my decision over the last 24 hours.

Crazy as it all sounds, I think I'm going to take the plunge. As it stands, I'm a little daunted about researching all the information that would make my transition a smooth one. I saw a few NZ'ers respond to this thread; Do you have any suggestions? Like places to live, certain areas to avoid, finding work, how a foreigner would fit in, etc.

I'm wondering if I should sell off my possessions before leaving or if I should move them into storage and have them shipped at a later date (to be determined, hehe). I guess it'd be better to sell most of it and get a "fresh" start, so to speak.

The whole point of this journey is to simplify my life and not take things for granted like I have over the last 12 years of my life. I'd happier with a roof over my head, honest work, a few favorite books and my artistic tools. My guitar, camera, sketchpad, pens, inks, colored pencils, brushes, canvas and oils. Eh, and my laptop for emailing news back home.

Which is better: Marmite or Promite?

Forum Links
Forum Rules