Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > AirPort Express Base Station Naming

AirPort Express Base Station Naming
sandman
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2004, 11:38 AM

How do I change the name of my airport express base station? I tried using the AirPort setup assistant but it said it cannot configure my model of base station. I'm assuming that means the software is for Airports and not Airport express. Has anyone figured out how to rename an Express station?

Thanks.
sandman
17" PowerBook/OS X.4.2/60GB/1G/Airport Express/iPod 20GB (Click Wheel)

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2004, 12:36 PM

You ran the Airport Admin Utility and got that error? Does the Express come with any software out of the box?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2004, 12:39 PM

Did you install the software that came with the Express? My Airport Admin Utility handles my Express just fine. In fact I think that's the only way to do it.

mh0ffmann
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2004, 01:31 PM

The Airport Express comes with a device-specific software package called Airport Express Assistant. I had no problems with it.

Mark
MacBookPro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 100 GB 7200 RPM / 1 Gb
White MacBook 13.3" / 1.8 GHz / 60GB / 1 Gb
PB 5300cs (!!!) 100 MHz / 750 Mb / 16 Mb

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2004, 02:30 PM

Airport Setup Assistant is for Airport Extreme basestation
Airport Express Setup Assistant is for your new Airport Express
Airport Admin Utility can be used for either after installing the software that came with the Express.

MadBrowser
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2004, 07:30 AM

Maybe try joining the new network in your Airport pull down from the menu bar - it will show a generic name... Like 'Apple_xxxxxx'... Then you should be able to configure it.

sandman  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2004, 02:22 AM

I've been having a hell of a time with this AirPort Express on my network. First of all the box and CD got tossed while moving into my room here at college. So I don't have the software to configure this thing. Does anyone know of a way I can obtain the AirPort Express admin utility via the internet?

And not only this but I can't get this damn thing to reliably find an ethernet address and connect to the internet. I am using a University VPN server and have successfully connected to it, but as soon as I put the machine to sleep and awake it the connection is lost and I can't reconnect.

Now I'm just using the ethernet cable and when Safari launches I have to log in at a Walkup Internet Port Authenticator. I can either use this to get online, or through the VPN server. However I don't see how to get connected to the WIPA over the AirPort, nor the VPN server. I've tried rebooting the computer as well as the Base Station. Even switching ports doesn't bring up the WIPA, nor connect to the VPN server. The amber light on the base station just keeps blinking.

So I guess my first need is the software and any help from there would be great.

Thanks.
sandman

Appleman
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 08:30 AM

Strange but Apple doesn't have a download for the Express configuring software on its website (at least I couldn't find it...).
This means cleaning up your room and find the CD that came with the Airport Express

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 09:16 AM

call apple...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

sandman  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2004, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by Appleman:
Strange but Apple doesn't have a download for the Express configuring software on its website (at least I couldn't find it...).
This means cleaning up your room and find the CD that came with the Airport Express
Well actually it would mean digging through a dumpster because I know its gone. Someone can't pull the app off the CD and put it up for download?
sandman

Appleman
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by sandman:
Well actually it would mean digging through a dumpster because I know its gone. Someone can't pull the app off the CD and put it up for download?
yes can. I'll send you a private message

sandman  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2004, 07:23 PM

Can anyone host the Airport Express Software package? Appleman kindly did, but the link didn't work and I haven't heard from him.

Thanks.
sandman

Appleman
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by sandman:
Can anyone host the Airport Express Software package? Appleman kindly did, but the link didn't work and I haven't heard from him.
Thanks.
I have posted the stuff, sent you a private message telling you to try and let me know if it worked for you or not.
You haven't ansered me, but since this site was visited several times (not by me) I assumed you got it and I deleted it again to free up space from my .Mac account.
I can post it again if you want but you should be a little bit more attentive: mine is working, yours is not, You need it, I have it.

Just pm me, or send me an email as you have my email address, no problem, willing and able to help you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules