Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Six people killed over an Xbox game

Six people killed over an Xbox game (Page 2)
CD Hanks  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by itistoday:
I'll make a mental note to consider everything that you type to be bullshit.
Of course, because THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS

(You provencial putz.)
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

itistoday
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2004, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:
Of course, because THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS

(You provencial putz.)
I never said it was serious. It can be both actually. But just because we're on the "internet" doesn't make it right to laugh at such a thing. You obviously found it funny, not just on the internet, but in real life. You probably sat there having a ball and a good chuckle.

But perhaps that's only because you seem to have gotten the article before all the information was put up, and read the title, and thought it was funny. That I can understand, but I read the actual article, which may or may not have been added after you saw it, and it was not funny.

CD Hanks  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by itistoday:
I never said it was serious. It can be both actually. But just because we're on the "internet" doesn't make it right to laugh at such a thing. You obviously found it funny, not just on the internet, but in real life. You probably sat there having a ball and a good chuckle.

But perhaps that's only because you seem to have gotten the article before all the information was put up, and read the title, and thought it was funny. That I can understand, but I read the actual article, which may or may not have been added after you saw it, and it was not funny.
Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up.

edit: HAHAHA
( Last edited by CD Hanks; Aug 9, 2004 at 03:56 PM. )
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

itistoday
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2004, 02:58 PM

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
Seems like disturbing things happen in Florida all of the time.
Its the constant sunshine...it kills their brain cells.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

bsktbllterps22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2004, 07:46 PM

quote:

origionally posted by itistoday

You know, it'd be interesting to see a survey done for every state to see which has the smallest percentage of morons... My vote's between California and Vermont

I just joined, and i agree that there is nothing funny about people being murdered in there beds with metallic baseball bats, but Vermont is defingitly not full of morons...i would go for conneticut, they suck at driving.
I may live in Vermont,
But the Maryland Terps are awesome.

I hate signatures too

itistoday
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2004, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by bsktbllterps22:
I just joined, and i agree that there is nothing funny about people being murdered in there beds with metallic baseball bats, but Vermont is defingitly not full of morons...i would go for conneticut, they suck at driving.
You know that that's exactly what I'm saying, right? Read: "smallest percentage of morons".

velodev
Senior User
Aug 9, 2004, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
you seem to have a problem with facts. you claim i'm bald, when i have a full head of hair. you claim i'm an alcoholic, when i can go just fine without having a drink for weeks. try growing up some day.
And to think, I put him on my ignore list because I couldn't stand any of his juvenile posts... and I thought I was alone on that belief.

He's a forum loser. He can't find delight outside so he stays inside entertaining himself with a forum.

Here's to you, CD

CD Hanks  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by velodev:
And to think, I put him on my ignore list because I couldn't stand any of his juvenile posts... and I thought I was alone on that belief.

He's a forum loser. He can't find delight outside so he stays inside entertaining himself with a forum.

Here's to you, CD

You do realize he's quoting SWG, and not me, right?

And you realize 'zilla and me talk **** about each other damn hear habitually while meaing very little of it seriously, right?

I didn't think so, you schmuck.

edit: And seeing as the odds of you reading this are low, I'll reiterate my point for the ADD crowd: you're a ****ing idiot.

bsktbllterps22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 12:49 PM

Oh, sry about that itistoday, thought u meant VT wus full of morons...hehe
But u are right, VT kick
And i still think connecticut would lose in that race, they suck at driving

p.s. this is really cool, my brother does this and i thought it would cool so i joined.
I may live in Vermont,
But the Maryland Terps are awesome.

I hate signatures too

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2004, 02:34 AM

hmmmm...... violence in America ? violence in video games ? Microsoft-ism ? or all combined ?

Pretty pathetic if you ask me..... very disturbing.

CD Hanks  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
hmmmm...... violence in America ? violence in video games ? Microsoft-ism ? or all combined ?

Pretty pathetic if you ask me..... very disturbing.
People are violent all the time, all over the world. Video games are also a global thing. Microsoft (surprise surprise) is also an international company.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2004, 04:00 AM

People are violent all the time, all over the world. Video games are also a global thing. Microsoft (surprise surprise) is also an international company.
People the world over are violent....there must be more blood in the ground than there is actual soil. But to the best of my knowledge, killings everywhere else have to do with things like beleifs, prejudice, economics, etc...not gaming consoles.

So then it must be something about 'America' ?

I mean really.... whens the last time you heard of a murder associated with a gaming console ? And these ppl arent exactly children/teenagers either.

Scary

Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 04:05 AM

I have seen enough to realize that this is a problem that happens very rarely outside of America. Maybe the fact that here in America you can say a game or movie made you do it and get an insanity plea and a lesser sentence sways the more off-balanced people's decision towards the "Go ahead and do it" train of thought.
If I had a signature, it would be better than yours.

CD Hanks  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 06:11 AM

People the world over are violent....there must be more blood in the ground than there is actual soil. But to the best of my knowledge, killings everywhere else have to do with things like beleifs, prejudice, economics, etc...not gaming consoles.

So then it must be something about 'America' ?

I mean really.... whens the last time you heard of a murder associated with a gaming console ? And these ppl arent exactly children/teenagers either.

Scary
I see your point.

Yeah, we harbor some pretty weird people in this country. But think of where they came from: elsewhere. Unless a person can claim to be of Native American (and I really hate that phrase) descent, everyone here is from another country with a seperate blood line. So, whatever freaks you read about that live here, remember that they may be more related to you than the rest of the Americans they live with.

As for American "culture", there are a lot of problems. If I had to blame one institution above all for this current mess: advertising.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2004, 10:49 PM

I see your point.

Yeah, we harbor some pretty weird people in this country. But think of where they came from: elsewhere. Unless a person can claim to be of Native American (and I really hate that phrase) descent, everyone here is from another country with a seperate blood line. So, whatever freaks you read about that live here, remember that they may be more related to you than the rest of the Americans they live with.

As for American "culture", there are a lot of problems. If I had to blame one institution above all for this current mess: advertising.
ummm...what are you going on about ? non-native-americans are not really Americans ? hahahaha....

i think 300 odd years has shaped America into a unique nation,culture and people. It has many many positive aspects as well as some flaws (like any other place on this earth). The people are unique, irrespective of their origins. Migration isnt a 'new' phenomenon. peoples have been migrating since the dawn of time.

But as Moore pointed out in 'Bowling for Columbine'...there is something unique to America when it comes to murder and violence and fear. And in my opinion, the 'xBox killing' highlights a new low. Thats what scary, cause if some adults(in America) can rationalize a murder based on a gaming console...it's time to take a step back and reasses the entire situation....which includes, violence, fear, video games, etc....

Cheers

CD Hanks  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 11:19 PM

But as Moore pointed out in 'Bowling for Columbine'...there is something unique to America when it comes to murder and violence and fear. And in my opinion, the 'xBox killing' highlights a new low. Thats what scary, cause if some adults(in America) can rationalize a murder based on a gaming console...it's time to take a step back and reasses the entire situation....which includes, violence, fear, video games, etc....
To reassess things in a country this large (and fat, figuratively speaking) would require a revolution.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 11, 2004, 11:29 PM

But as Moore pointed out in 'Bowling for Columbine'...there is something unique to America when it comes to murder and violence and fear.
If you quote or "point out" anything again from one of Moore's fictional pieces of trash. You will be removed from the interweb.

Thx.

Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2004, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
If you quote or "point out" anything again from one of Moore's fictional pieces of trash. You will be removed from the interweb.

Thx.
Plenty of people don't take anything Moore says seriously, but it is true that the way we allow ourselves to believe that any little violent game or movie can possess us to commit such horrible crimes is stupid. If you can turn off your morale fiber (If you are saying a game made you do it, you are claiming you have morals)long enough to hurt or kill somebody then there was already something about you that would dictate whether you would do it or not, regardless, of which games or movies you have seen.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 12, 2004, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Aquataris:
but it is true that the way we allow ourselves to believe that any little violent game or movie can possess us to commit such horrible crimes is stupid.

Most of American doesn't believe that. Only a few people in here that make a big stink do. And we usually make fun of them here as well. So no, that isn't a "norm" of America like Michael Moore likes to portray.

And I don't lock my house. Even when I leave.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 09:00 AM

And I don't lock my house. Even when I leave. [/B]

Where do you live again?

Actually, there are groups in the US that do advocate the banning of violent games. We came under the wraith of one famous American lawyer who spearheads this very popular group of people who want to see them off the shelfs. They believe there is a direct link betwen games and violence.

Of course, they got the smackdown once they found out our game never contributed to the death of this biy. But I wil say that fronm direct experience, there is more advocation on these matters in the US, thanm anywhere else.

You should see the protests and letters we get from these people. The UK is far nicer though to work in the games industry.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2004, 09:11 AM

Most of American doesn't believe that. Only a few people in here that make a big stink do. And we usually make fun of them here as well. So no, that isn't a "norm" of America like Michael Moore likes to portray.

And I don't lock my house. Even when I leave. [/B]
I don't mean "We" as in everybody here in America. I mean to say that no matter how stupid the idea is, it is the media adopted truth here. You can't watch anything here about violence without seeing interviews from people who think it is the truth. If somebody interviewed says it is stupid to think that Americans are the only ones who are affected by games and movies this way, they are cut out of the airing of whatever they were interviewed for. When I say "We" I mean the "We" as in people in general. The way people work emotionally. After all, if you hear something from one side enough without hearing the other, you may start to believe the other side is wrong.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 12, 2004, 12:18 PM

There are wackos everywhere. I agree, the media should ignore them. But they don't. They make attention whores out of them. It makes it seem like there are more people that believe this.

I don't know anyone personally that thinks violence stem from video games.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2004, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
On another note, our company (Rockstar games) was being virtually blamed for the death of a schoolboy recently. The family and MEDIA said the murderer was influenced by the game 'Manhunt'. In the aftermath, several stores pulled the game, various groups said the game should be banned and so on.
To be frank; I'm curious as to what effect Rockstar's new title will have. GTA: San Andreas appears to me to have some serious gang related influence; not something I'm interested in playing but I'm sure some kids in Compton would.

Don't get me wrong, Vice City was fun in a fictional "mafia"/"Miami Vice" kind of way. But this latest rev seems to have taken the "realism" approach to gang violence.

Even Manhunt didn't have that realism edge to it; hunting a guy in a "game show" type style, like that one movie I can't remember

And yes, I will not be buying GTA: SA; I did buy the first two however.
MacBook Pro

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2004, 01:03 AM

I heard the MacNN forum was full of idi...

Oh... uhhhhh... never mind...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules