Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > DVD help

DVD help
fxbezak
Senior User
Location: mysql> CREATE TABLE bar (m INT) SELECT beer FROM tap;
Aug 21, 2004, 07:06 PM

I have some Dual Layer DVD's that I had to purchase from amazon.ca. You cant buy them in the US and I definitly want backups because they cost about $75 for the box set.

My Dilema..

I have a sony DVD burner and i wanna burn these existing DVD's to a DVDR but they are in dual layer format. How would i go about doing this with my burner. Can i just use 2 discs? I am using my burner on my PC but i am using CloneDVD2 as software.

now i know what your saying.. why am i asking for help with PC software in a mac forum. Im not.. im just looking for some technical insight as to the ability to be able to burn Dual Layer DVD's for a backup.
The Desires of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity.
http://www.unixtree.net

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2004, 07:43 PM

Buy a dual-layer burner.

Done

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

fxbezak  (op)
Senior User
Location: mysql> CREATE TABLE bar (m INT) SELECT beer FROM tap;
Aug 21, 2004, 11:38 PM

well thanks , but I dont really wanna go out and spend $120-140 to buy a whole new burner just to back up some rare DVD's

anyone have any info on DVD burning like the technologies and such. Im pretty new to it and I wanna learn about the whole + - R thing and get more in depth. I havent really used the burner for more than data so i wanna learn.
The Desires of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity.
http://www.unixtree.net

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2004, 11:57 PM

There are a few steps:

1) Remove encryption. MacTheRipper is what I use for this. It will copy the DVD to your hard drive and remove encryption, allowing you to compress the DVD.

2) Compress the DVD's VIDEO_TS folder (which was extracted using MacTheRipper) to a manageable size. You should be able to select a setting in a DVD compression app (DVD2oneX is one option that I've used, Handbrake is another that I haven't) that will compress the VIDEO_TS folder down to 4.4 GB. This will result in a very minor loss in quality - I've done it numerous times and I've never actually noticed a decrease in quality.

3) Burn the resulting compressed VIDEO_TS folder to a DVD in video DVD format.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Forum Links
Forum Rules