Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Losing AirPort Connection After Sleep

Losing AirPort Connection After Sleep
placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2004, 12:49 PM

I have a dual 867 G4 and a G4 PowerBook that I have connected to an AirPort Extreme (without modem) base station. The 867 uses the original AirPort card while the PB uses the Extreme card. The problem is when my 867 goes to sleep, when I wake it up, I lose the connection. So far, the only workaround is to restart the computer, which is a pain in the rear. This doesn't happen with the PB. Please help.
( Last edited by placebo1969; Jul 31, 2004 at 01:29 PM. )

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 05:55 AM

Do you have Airport setup to connect Automatically?

Go to System Preferences, and select Network.

Go to the Airport configuration page and make sure you have 'By default, join' set to Automatic.

You should now reconnect when the machine wakes up.

Also I'm not sure why you need to restart to connect to Airport, why don't you just click on the Airport icon in the menu bar and select the network you want to join from the list.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2004, 11:36 AM

Yes, it's set up to automatically find the network. I have tried to click on the AirPort icon on the menu bar, but I get an error that I can't connect to the network. It looks like some other people are experiencing this in the Apple discussion boards. Does anyone else have this problem?

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 12:02 PM

I have not experienced it with my setup yet.

Seems to work OK with my iMac and my PowerBook.

Sorry to hear it's still a problem for you.

Ian
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2004, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Parky:
I have not experienced it with my setup yet.

Seems to work OK with my iMac and my PowerBook.

Sorry to hear it's still a problem for you.

Ian
I'm going to try to exchange the card and see what happens. In the mean time, I've used the other port on the Base Station to connect to my PM.

rastatero
Aug 1, 2004, 04:41 PM

This morning when I woke my iBook from sleep I had lost 10/100 ethernet. I was unable to ping or do anything. I don't know why or how this happened because my iBook was plugged into the AC and I did not do anything differently. I was unable to duplicate the error today, but it was definately something really wierd. Anyone else know anything about this?

EDIT: I use SSH extensively and I consistently get the following message, Corrupted MAC on input. I am wondering if this is related to my problem? Is my internal ethernet adapter bad?

-- Tony
( Last edited by rastatero; Aug 1, 2004 at 05:34 PM. )

rastatero
Aug 4, 2004, 07:19 AM

This problem arose again when I woke up this morning. There was no ethernet. To fix this problem without restarting the computer, I had to renew DHCP in the network preferences. My second week of iBook ownership is quickly approaching, is this an exchangeable issue? Is the iBook at fault or my linksys router. My other computer do not experience this dilemma - albiet running Windows & linux. Please let me know before my two week exchange window is closed. --Tony

cougar337
Aug 27, 2004, 01:24 PM

I have the same problem with my 667Mhz G4 Powerbook Airport and Airport Extreme Base Station. After the Powerbook wakes-up after sleep it will not connect to the BaseStation. I can click on the signal icon and choose the network name and I will get a error message saying that it can't connect to that network. I have to unplug the BaseStation then plug it back in and choose the network and most of the time it will connect, but I shouldnt have to do that everytime!!!

I have even tried using a 3rd party PCMCIA wireless card....same thing. I'm about ready to call Apple and say WTF?

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 02:36 PM

Do you have Airport at the top of the list in your Network Settings?

Go to System Preferences...

Select Network...

Select Network Port Configurations...

Drag 'Airport' to the top of the list, and turn off (uncheck) any options you don't need.

Give that a try.

Ian

cougar337
Aug 27, 2004, 03:42 PM

Do you have Airport at the top of the list in your Network Settings?

Go to System Preferences...

Select Network...

Select Network Port Configurations...

Drag 'Airport' to the top of the list, and turn off (uncheck) any options you don't need.

Give that a try.

Ian
I shall have to try that, but I do believe that it is at the top. What options are you talking about to turn off?

side note: My name is Ian too.....not many of those here in the US, I have to constantly spell my name and correct people, just part of the territory

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by cougar337:
I shall have to try that, but I do believe that it is at the top. What options are you talking about to turn off?

side note: My name is Ian too.....not many of those here in the US, I have to constantly spell my name and correct people, just part of the territory
We if you are not using 'Ethernet' or 'Internal Modem' etc, turn them off.

Hello fellow 'Ian'

cougar337
Aug 27, 2004, 06:19 PM

We if you are not using 'Ethernet' or 'Internal Modem' etc, turn them off.

Hello fellow 'Ian'
oh, ok that's no problem. one thing I did run into was that when I put in the 3rd party wireless PCMCIA card I didn't pull out the Airport card first and now I have 7 'Airport' status in that windows and I don't know how to get rid of them. I can post a picture tonight when I get home

cougar337
Aug 27, 2004, 10:17 PM

I tried what you suggested and no luck, I still get an error when I try to connect after the computer wakes up. I've tried to disable the modem port and telling it to connect to my network 'cougarsden'.

I have the newest drivers for Airport 3.4.1 and the BaseStation 3.4.2

I have also figured out how to delete the extra 'airports' i had listed in the status screen

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 03:47 AM

I don't have it set to 'Join a Specific Network' I use 'Automatic'.

Ian

cougar337
Aug 28, 2004, 10:08 AM

I don't have it set to 'Join a Specific Network' I use 'Automatic'.

Ian
I have tried it both ways, Automatic and set to join a specific network. I am at a loss, I dont know if I should try to revert back to 3.3 or what to try next. I feel that this isnt right they way it's currently 'working'

Camera God
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2004, 01:11 PM

I have called apple on this issue, and it really wasn't much help. We went through, trashed the prefs, and went through the setup assistant (all the stuff that I have already tried). Eventually the apple person on the phone said that we wold have to "archive and reinstall without saving network prefs". I didn't really want to do that at the time.

I think that I am going to try to find some documentation on reverting back airport/OS X versions. This whole thing just sounds like a bum update on apple's part.

Camera God
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2004, 07:02 PM

http://homepage.mac.com/fishsun/arti..._airport34.htm

Those are the instructions for downgrading the airport software for those who are interested. I am about to follow them myself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules