Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Working w/ Projector?

Working w/ Projector?
ehjay
Aug 24, 2004, 06:38 PM

I'm setting up a G5 for my school in our Auditorium and as such it needs to be able to connect to the projector in there and allow for movies that the students create to be played back on the large dropdown screen on the stage, etc.

As it is, it's basically a standard Dual 1.8 with a 20" Cinema display in the DVI port. It needs to be able to mirror its content onto the projector.

The projector accepts RCA plugs, which I assume would be the easiest way to get video out of the G5 regardless. Anyhow, since the Apple adapter for this solution is their DVI-to-Video Adapter.. and there's a monitor in the DVI port, should I just go and get an adapter and move the Video adapter or monitor to the ADC port? Or is there simpler answer?

And how will projecting work? Is it just plug and play? Or are there settings to set? Sorry, never projected with my mac before. Thanks!

Note: Just the G5 and Monitor are purchased, not the Apple Adapter yet, so no need to work with that if you have to.
Here's to the crazy ones..

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2004, 05:21 PM

I recommend plugging a DV camera into the Mac then svideo from the camera to projector. When you play the movie in FCP or iMovie it will play through the camera onto the projector.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

ehjay  (op)
Aug 25, 2004, 09:31 PM

That's far too roundabout. With all the powers of the G5, you're telling me I can't connect it to a projector and a standard Apple monitor?

davechen
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 10:11 PM

I connect my G5 to an Apple 23" Cinema Display and a projector. The Cinema display connects via the ADC port and the projector uses the DVI port. You should be able to do likewise, though my projector accepts DVI directly.

ehjay  (op)
Aug 27, 2004, 05:47 PM

Am I wrong in assuming the new AlDisplays use DVI ? The sire appears to list it as so.
In which case, should I just get an adapter so the display will work in the ADC port, and then use the DVI-to-Video adapater.. and that'll mirror the screen onto the projector?

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2004, 06:19 PM

You can. I was under the impression that these were movies made by students with iMovie or FCP and you could just press play. You are right the new displays except the 17" are DVI. You can purchase an ADC to DVI adapter if you have DVI ins on the projector. If not get an ADC to VGA adapter.
Will
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

ehjay  (op)
Aug 27, 2004, 06:58 PM

Slightly complicated in that we have to split the audio so we can use our Auditorium sound system, so I'll need composite most likely.

In which case, putting the monitor on an ADC-to-DVI I should then be able to use the DVI-to-Video to get the video signal to the projector and audio to our sound board, right?

Thanks!

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by ehjay:
Slightly complicated in that we have to split the audio so we can use our Auditorium sound system, so I'll need composite most likely.

In which case, putting the monitor on an ADC-to-DVI I should then be able to use the DVI-to-Video to get the video signal to the projector and audio to our sound board, right?

Thanks!
I think you can still use DVI or VGA and take sound out via an 1/8 inch to rca adaptor through the headphone port.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

Forum Links
Forum Rules