Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to pass the days till I get my new PB?

How to pass the days till I get my new PB?
BranMuffins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2004, 01:05 PM

So I decided to switch from my windows existence. Ordered the 1.33 15" 80GB bad boy on tuesday. Now, airport and office should be arriving along with my extra RAM and perhaps even my case at my house today and yet the PB will not be making an apperence untill monday morning.

So what should I do until then. Any thoughts or advice how to make it through the weekend?

Also, as a new user, any words of wisdom, mistakes not to repeat, etc?

Scylla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2004, 01:12 PM

Savour the anticipation would be my advice to you. Life is so short, it's not good to wish any of it away. I do know how you feel, though; I'd only had my 17" PB a week when it failed and is currently with Apple being fixed (it has a dodgy hard drive, apparently). I really miss it!

I've also been waiting for three months for my new Mini Cooper to be delivered - it arrives next week. It's been very difficult not to think about it, buit in the end I made myself put it to the back of my mind for the reasons set out above.

You haven't got long to wait, though... so I reckon you'll spend a lot of time thinking about it! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do(did!) mine.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2004, 01:14 PM

Open two browser windows, one with this forum, and one with you Apple Order Status page. Relentlessly reload both every 10 seconds 24 hrs. a day until you have your Powerbook in your hands.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Aug 26, 2004, 01:49 PM

unfortunately there are no other ways to pass the time except live on your computer and refresh the tracking page every 5 minute or so. that's what i did. luckily mine was a rare case that arrived within 2 days from order. maybe apple knows i'm checking their site waaay too much.
Ryan

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 01:52 PM

I ordered my 12" last night. 3-5 day till it ships then 2-3 day shipping wait. It will be here soon enough!

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 02:55 PM

If you are new to OS X, then I would suggest you get a good book for it, like the Missing Manual : Panther edition. It is excellent. Well worth the $25.

As far as goodies to go with your new Powerbook, check out the bluetooth mouse from radtech (radtech.us). It is small and very cool.

Get some kind of stand for home. Something that can dissipate some heat. I use the PodiumPad.

These forums are, as you probably already know, very helpful. Lots of nice people with tons of info.

Have fun with your new machine!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

t4r1q
Aug 26, 2004, 10:17 PM

find the "essential mac os x apps" thread on any apple forum and go through it and download anything interesting you find. once your pb has arrived, you will have collected and have all your software ready

BranMuffins  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 11:31 AM

I will never say anything bad about fedex again. PB suppossed to arrive monday morning came friday morning, causeing me to skip class to play with my new toy.

sweet.

manero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 11:53 AM

UPS on the other hand...

They delivered a largish box (containing a small ham radio antenna) to me a month or so ago and it looked like they just decided to step on it a few times for good measure. Never using UPS again.

Edit:

BranMuffins:

Was your PB BTO or not? I ordered a BTO on Thursday, and I'm excited at the idea of getting mine early next week.
( Last edited by manero; Aug 27, 2004 at 11:58 AM. )

BranMuffins  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 12:53 PM

manero:

Yes it was BTO and it was ordered tues morn, shipped on the 26th from china and arrived friday morning on my doorstep even though the fedex page said at first that it shouldnt arrive until monday. This was obviously with the faster shipping.

manero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 02:14 PM

Awesome, well it looks like my PB shipped today, and I should have it by Wednesday, according to the FedEx tracking. I'm surprised at how fast they get those babies out the door.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 05:25 PM

alcohol and naked women can be used in combination to make it through any difficult time in your life. The trick is finding the proper ratio.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

mjlukich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by jcadam:
alcohol and naked women can be used in combination to make it through any difficult time in your life. The trick is finding the proper ratio.
I would be careful here; an alcohol ratio exceeding safe levels can result in the "coyote syndrome" the next morning.

Forum Links
Forum Rules