Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > disable the lan port on an airport extreme basestation

disable the lan port on an airport extreme basestation
i_wolf
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 12:35 PM

I have an airport extreme basestation at home. It has been secured against wireless access... via WPA, IP recognition etc...
However, the problem I have is that there is somebody at home using the network regardless how many times he has been asked not to hog the bandwidth. He is putting a cable into the LAN port in the back of the airport extreme basestation and getting net access that way.
Is there any way in airport admin utility to disable the lan port and make the basestation "pure wireless" ???

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
Sep 2, 2004, 12:12 PM

the base station allows restriction by MAC address. I don't know if it would do this through the LAN port too, but it's worth a shot. Get a couple machines' MAC addresses; allow one, disallow (by it being absent from the 'white list') the other. Connect disallowed machine to LAN port. See what happens.

but if this guy is desparate, what prevents him from disconnecting the base station and hooking the access into his computer, bypassing the station's LAN port altogether?
You heard me! Sod off, Sadr!

Forum Links
Forum Rules