Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > John [x] Smith

John [x] Smith
Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 11:39 PM

Mods and Admins---
Is there any way to banish this guy and all the screen names he's made (and tries to make). It's ridiculous the way he's turning forums into junk. I'm sure you all know him and the crap he's been doing. Is there any way to put an end to him being on MacNN? Like blocking his IP from ever making a screen name or loging on or something?

Ω
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 11:53 PM

My suggestion is to stop reading his posts if they annoy you so much. Just because we don't like someone does not mean we should exclude them....

2c

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by _?_:
My suggestion is to stop reading his posts if they annoy you so much. Just because we don't like someone does not mean we should exclude them....

2c
As long as I've been here, that's how it's been and that's what the mods/admins have preached.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 02:30 AM

I agree completley. If there was someone I just disliked, I would move along and not worry about it. I have not seen this John Smith post one useful thing, only wasting room in the forums. All his posts are about nothing useful. I guess I understand if they can't lock him out, but people get bannated from MacNN who actually post about useful things but just have made a few mistakes. I have no problem with people being banned, but if John Smith doesn't qualify, I don't know who does.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2004, 03:46 AM

so yeah uhm ...

Ω
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 06:50 AM

I don't have enough posts

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2004, 07:12 AM

I'm happy enough just putting someone really, really annoying on the ignore list. But when someone has 80 bazillion similar names, it defeats the purpose. Plus, if somone with multiple names is banned or locked out, they just switch over.
But I agree that his posts lately have been particularly annoying and not helpful in the least.

The worst thing, imo, is that a lot of these attention-starved idiots stray from the lounge and poli forums and start polluting regular threads with their garbage. Disagreeing is one thing. Having a set view is one thing. Just posting stupidity for the sake of stupidity is quite another.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2004, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by Peter:
so yeah uhm ...
Oh drat, I'd be foiled now going that route...

Go for it!

Ω
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 09:21 AM

You will be there is less than a month, so I am not too sure what you are complaining about!

JohnSmith68
Sep 2, 2004, 12:37 PM

what's this? another thread, ie more attention, for me?

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
I'm happy enough just putting someone really, really annoying on the ignore list. But when someone has 80 bazillion similar names, it defeats the purpose. Plus, if somone with multiple names is banned or locked out, they just switch over.
But I agree that his posts lately have been particularly annoying and not helpful in the least.

The worst thing, imo, is that a lot of these attention-starved idiots stray from the lounge and poli forums and start polluting regular threads with their garbage. Disagreeing is one thing. Having a set view is one thing. Just posting stupidity for the sake of stupidity is quite another.

That is EXACTLY my point.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by brandon420506:

That is EXACTLY my point.
Ditto.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by JohnSmith68:
what's this? another thread, ie more attention, for me?
Yes, you have fanboys.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by _?_:

2c

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 12:28 PM

I like John Smith, the only person who is vaguely funny around here Is John R. Smith taken in the John Smith franchise?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 06:55 PM

we need a new graphic for all the wannabe mods around here calling for bannings and thread locks, etc.

especially when its a harmless dude (whos actually sorta funny in a ridiculous way) like john _ smith.

he doesnt post all that much. you can clearly see its him who posted. he doesnt try and dig under peoples nerves, he just posts stupid crap.

JOHN _ SMITH IN 2004!!

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 08:56 PM

Haven't been round in a while�
Can't comment on him these past couple, but the guy annoys teh **** out o me. He has about 30 names, and he just annoys me with his stupid posts.
This is Smith:

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 09:12 PM

John Smiths are not even remotely funny. I don't even know why this deranged loser wastes his time...

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
we need a new graphic for all the wannabe mods around here calling for bannings and thread locks, etc.

especially when its a harmless dude (whos actually sorta funny in a ridiculous way) like john _ smith.

he doesnt post all that much. you can clearly see its him who posted. he doesnt try and dig under peoples nerves, he just posts stupid crap.

JOHN _ SMITH IN 2004!!
don't be such an idiot im not a wanna be mod or anything i just dont like the "stupid crap" he posts. as someone said, its not really a big deal when its on the lounge or political lounge, but not in the real forums...and he DOES post all that much

JohnSmith68
Sep 4, 2004, 10:35 AM

just pretend that this post is a JPG of "John Smith's Fanclub"

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 12:32 PM

I still havn't gotten a reply from the mods or admins yet. Anyways this isn't even entirley about John Smith anymore. Him, Ken Resurrected, and others are posting crap all over the place. There are getting to be alot of ads in the lounge, and just a bunch of useless stuff from the other two guys (and probably others that aren't as bad). Maybe instead of having to have 1000 posts to post in the lounge, you only need 100. This would show that your a sincere member, because if you have posted 100 things of crap in other threads you would be banned. Thats the only solution that I see. Please let me know your thoughts.
Brandon

John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2004, 03:04 PM

Maybe instead of having to have 1000 posts to post in the lounge, you only need 100. This would show that your a sincere member, because if you have posted 100 things of crap in other threads you would be banned.
sounds fair to me

John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by John F. Smith:
sounds fair to me
and me

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 03:08 PM

Maybe instead of having to have 1000 posts to post in the lounge, you only need 100. This would show that your a sincere member, because if you have posted 100 things of crap in other threads you would be banned. Thats the only solution that I see. Please let me know your thoughts.
Brandon
Originally posted by John F. Smith:
sounds fair to me
Originally posted by John B. Smith:
and me
I thought this ^ was amusing

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 03:23 PM

Yea, that was amusing...
Ok screw that idea then I didn't know that guy had some names with that many posts. Well whatever, if the mods don't feel like doing anything about it, just let the threads get littered with his shiit, im tired of trying.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 02:02 AM

Well whatever, if the mods don't feel like doing anything about it, just let the threads get littered with his shiit, im tired of trying.
Welcome to my world.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Forum Links
Forum Rules