Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > what are the odds...

what are the odds...
pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2004, 04:09 PM

What are the odds on the revision b imac having a better graphics card? I'm not sure how the updates usually go so maybe someone here has a better idea than me. I'm trying to figure out if its worth waiting for the next revision or not.

The imac would be PERFECT just with a better graphics card, that would last me years, I fear the current card will force me to upgrade sooner than I would like. Is it possible I could I end up waiting untill early next year for the update and find out it still has the same card? In that case I might was well get the imac now then upgrade in a year or so, which i'd rather not do.
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

TiDual
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2004, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by pantalaimon:
What are the odds on the revision b imac having a better graphics card? I'm not sure how the updates usually go so maybe someone here has a better idea than me. I'm trying to figure out if its worth waiting for the next revision or not.
If only the GPU is stopping you, then you can't need it very much: in which case it's always best to wait. Unless you're a gamer: then buy a console and safe yourself $1000.

My guess is no upgrades for 8 months (April/May). It's giong to take that long before a speed bump is on the cards, and their not going to make a revision purely to improve the GPU. But I'll have had use of my 20" iMac (ordered today) for 8 months by then ... but I expect that revision will have a slightly better GPU.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2004, 05:17 PM

Yet another iMac G5 GPU thread...

-t

pantalaimon  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2004, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:

-t
yet another pointless post
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

pantalaimon  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2004, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by TiDual:
If only the GPU is stopping you, then you can't need it very much: in which case it's always best to wait. Unless you're a gamer: then buy a console and safe yourself $1000.
I'm not a gamer, Myst Revelation is the only game i'm planning on buying.

The 17" screen and 1.8 G5 would be very handy for my graphic design work, if its 50/50 as to wether there is improved graphics card in the next revision I might take my chances with this one.
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2004, 06:49 PM

I don't get it, the GeForce is ok for Corel Image so why would you be forced to upgrade down the road? I think Apple has to have GeForce in the iMac, because if they went with the Radeon then only the 12" PB would have a Nvidia GPU, the Powermacs too but most people already upgrade those cards pretty soon. If Apple doesn't cater a little to Nvidia by using thier stuff, then who's to say that Nvidia will still make stuff for Apple (ie. the 6800 ultra to drive the 30"). I wouldn't want to favor just one GPU producer because they happen to be better at the time, not good buisness etiquette if you ask me. Maybe I'm just crazy though.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

george68
Banned
Sep 7, 2004, 07:06 PM

Gee, I feel the same way. It would be PERFECT if it had a better video card, but I am not going to buy one because of the garbage vid card that's in it.

HEAR THAT APPLE?! I"M NOT BUYING THE DAMN IMAC BECAUSE OF YOUR RETARDED CHOICE TO PUT IN AN OUTDATED VIDEO CARD!!!!!!!!!

>sigh<

- Rob

george68
Banned
Sep 7, 2004, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:

-t
EXACTLY you ****ing MORON. How many threads are there bitching about the new imac? And what does EVERY SINGLE ONE HAVE IN COMMON?!

People pissed off that the graphics card sucks! If you're happy with a **** video card, congrats, and shut your hole!

I HATE this guy. What a complete IDIOT.

- Rob

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2004, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by george68:
EXACTLY you ****ing MORON. How many threads are there bitching about the new imac? And what does EVERY SINGLE ONE HAVE IN COMMON?!

People pissed off that the graphics card sucks! If you're happy with a **** video card, congrats, and shut your hole!

- Rob
Did I piss you off ?

GOOD !

-t

kcmac
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 07:51 PM

- Rob
Wow.

However Turtle is right. There a plenty of threads for this already. And it is just the same people adding to them. So it is also the same people (like me ) responding to give it a break.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2004, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by pantalaimon:
yet another pointless post
Word.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2004, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by kcmac:
Wow.

However Turtle is right. There a plenty of threads for this already. And it is just the same people adding to them. So it is also the same people (like me ) responding to give it a break.
Want a solution to your aggravation? Don't click on threads that you don't want to read!

Have a nice day .....

iBorg

terminator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2004, 09:12 AM

- Rob
I for one am tired of having to read between the lines to get how people REALLY feel.

Forum Links
Forum Rules