Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Getting a new tattoo...

Getting a new tattoo...
splatq
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2004, 06:19 PM

So, I've been thinking about getting another tattoo... And I'm not sure what I should get. The 3 tattoos I currently have are based off Chinese and Japanese art; a Chinese dragon's head with a caricature underneath that roughly means "Drunk" and on the other arm, a Japanese Koi fish jumping through a waterfall.

A little background: I am a recovering alcoholic. I have been going to AA for nearly two months now, trying to break my addiction. When I chose that "Drunk" caricature, it seemed like way to poke fun at myself. 13 years later, it now seems highly prophetic.

So, anyway, I was thinking about getting "Chosen" tattooed underneath my collarbones, in a semi-circle, to remind myself about my past. Or maybe build upon my previous tattoos and form a "vest" extending from my upper arms, across my back, and mid-way down my anterior towards my abdominal muscles.

Any suggestions? I'm a activist & environmentalist, so maybe a huge "green" "peace" symbol on my back wouldn't be a bad idea.

Or, considering I'm asking MacNN, a giant +1 instead.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2004, 07:02 PM

No real great suggestions:

1) Something you've designed yourself, whatever it maybe.
2) Something entirely random: I have a half sleeve that developed entirely by accident from one tattoo. It doesn't 'mean' anything but I like the look of it. I just let the tattooist go with the flow and develop it over time (actually two tattooists in total). They were good enough to do this, i.e. artists as well as tattooists.
3) Something with lots of bright colours because it's nicer.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2004, 07:39 PM

Wow, the chicks must dig you. Drunk, American, covered in tattoos, activist, tree-hugger...

Maybe the next one should be "I'm gay" with a rainbow?

Sorry, your post was just begging for it though.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2004, 04:07 AM

I have don't have any suggestions for designs, but I can recommend a tat parlor. Since you're in Mass somewhere, it shouldn't be that long of a drive, and it's well worth it. The place is called Art for Life and it's in Brattleboro, VT. The guy's name is Mike and he does some amazing stuff. He did a shoulder piece for me which began with a Koi that he drew with a pen on my skin, and everything after that was completely freehand. Amazing stuff, and reasonable rates too.

P.S. I am in no way affiliated with that shop. I just know the importance of getting a good artist, especially for big pieces.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2004, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by splatq:
So, I've been thinking about getting another tattoo... And I'm not sure what I should get. The 3 tattoos I currently have are based off Chinese and Japanese art; a Chinese dragon's head with a caricature underneath that roughly means "Drunk" and on the other arm, a Japanese Koi fish jumping through a waterfall.

A little background: I am a recovering alcoholic. I have been going to AA for nearly two months now, trying to break my addiction. When I chose that "Drunk" caricature, it seemed like way to poke fun at myself. 13 years later, it now seems highly prophetic.

So, anyway, I was thinking about getting "Chosen" tattooed underneath my collarbones, in a semi-circle, to remind myself about my past. Or maybe build upon my previous tattoos and form a "vest" extending from my upper arms, across my back, and mid-way down my anterior towards my abdominal muscles.

Any suggestions? I'm a activist & environmentalist, so maybe a huge "green" "peace" symbol on my back wouldn't be a bad idea.

Or, considering I'm asking MacNN, a giant +1 instead.

Get an Apple tatoo'ed on the back of your neck and blonds might think you're one of those "cute ipods" they'v been hearing so much about =P

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 10:27 AM

How about getting this one done? :

george68
Banned
Sep 11, 2004, 12:02 PM

You know what drives me up the ****ing wall? When dumbasses get tattoos of konji, or some asian character that means "peace" or something. IT's ****ing retarded. Think if you went to japan and you met some girl that had "love" in english tattoo'd on her back. Or "peace" or "happiness" or something.

It's ****ing retarded. What i really wonder is who started this stupi fad, and how it convinced the mindless masses that it was cool to get an asian character tattoo?!?!

ARGH.

- Rob

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 12:11 PM

I've seen quite a few Americans with Love or Peace in English on them. true they had some symbol with it like a dove or heart and it goes back to the idea of tattoos as art where yes it takes skill for chinese and japanese characters but nothing like a graphic or picture.

there was a tatoo art show on TV about a week ago and this one looked very cool, if your a star wars fan that is:

My friend as a tattoo of a barcode on the back of her neck. She says its a political statement, I think it's just a bit too far out in left field.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by george68:
You know what drives me up the ****ing wall? When dumbasses get tattoos of konji, or some asian character that means "peace" or something. IT's ****ing retarded. Think if you went to japan and you met some girl that had "love" in english tattoo'd on her back. Or "peace" or "happiness" or something.

It's ****ing retarded. What i really wonder is who started this stupi fad, and how it convinced the mindless masses that it was cool to get an asian character tattoo?!?!

ARGH.

- Rob
Maybe it was the asian people? Really, most people just want something that looks cool, "mystical", and that requires an explanation. Same thing when people do them in latin or greek.

Again, look at the text under your sig.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2004, 12:42 PM

Also part of your AA Recovery program could be not to get another Tattoo.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 11, 2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
I didn't know there was a correlation between alcoholism and tattoos.

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 05:08 PM

How about not getting a tattoo until you have fully recovered from alcoholism.

george68
Banned
Sep 11, 2004, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
Maybe it was the asian people? Really, most people just want something that looks cool, "mystical", and that requires an explanation. Same thing when people do them in latin or greek.

Again, look at the text under your sig.
I disagree. Alright, I live in a college town and I see TONS of people who all do the same things to be cool. Asian tatto. Abercrombie. Long hair. **** like that. It's annoying. They're trying to express themselves but in reality all they're doing is expressing what somebody else has declared cool, so they're actually all lemmings.

Same thing with the kiddies who drive honda civics with fart cans. "Oh dayum I gots me a civic yo! What should I do? I should be 'different' and do what 50,000 other people with civicis have already done! I'll install a big muffler and clear taillights!"

>sigh<

- Rob

splatq  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2004, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
I didn't know there was a correlation between alcoholism and tattoos.
Oddly, there is a connection between smoking and alcoholism. Something like 90% of alcoholics are smokers. Just an FYI.

Originally posted by wdlove:
My sponsor must not have briefed me on that. You speak from experience, right?

Anyway, I decided on getting "Reckless" instead of "Chosen" under my collarbones. Fits me a bit better. I'm the type of guy that'll chug down 14 beers at the bar on Friday night, and go out on Saturday and hit a 90 foot double on my RM-Z250.

george68
Banned
Sep 12, 2004, 09:01 PM

Anyway, I decided on getting "Reckless" instead of "Chosen" under my collarbones. Fits me a bit better. I'm the type of guy that'll chug down 14 beers at the bar on Friday night, and go out on Saturday and hit a 90 foot double on my RM-Z250.
I think you should just get more konji. You can be even more like 'that guy'.

-$

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 11:10 PM

Hey, you have three tattoos and now your thinking of a full vest... sounds like an alcoholic to me lol, but seriously its nice to see a friend of Bills on these pages. Check out the boys at www.HopeGalleryTattoo.com they are fcuking sick.

[fixed URL --tooki]
( Last edited by tooki; Sep 17, 2004 at 07:15 PM. )

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2004, 11:17 PM

Whatever it is, before you do, imagine yourself at 70 years old....

that pretty much answered it for me

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2004, 08:06 AM

There was this hilarious skit on SNL last season. I think it was in the form of a public service announcement to girls that get those tatoos on their back. It showed a time-lapse of what it would look like as they get to be 80 years old. Friggin' hilarious.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

splatq  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2004, 07:08 PM

I think you should just get more konji. You can be even more like 'that guy'.

-$
Thanks for the advice, it sure helped! I got this b&tch named Kristen tattoo'ed on my arm. F()CK she is UGLY!

Hey, you have three tattoos and now your thinking of a full vest... sounds like an alcoholic to me lol
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Wishing you and yours pancreatic cancer. No, scratch that; I hope you have retarded children. I appreciate your sincerity.

Whatever it is, before you do, imagine yourself at 70 years old....
That's the whole point. To remember.

---

Thanks for all the negative comments concerning my situation. I hope someone flies a 757 into your living room.

Thanks.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2004, 07:13 PM

I think you should just get more konji.
I think he should get Kanji, but whatever floats your boat.

splatq  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2004, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
\\

Since MoneyPenny (Ca$h) posted it, I'm sure he meant "Grand Theft Auto III" or "Happy Good-Time Fun Ball" instead.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 09:05 PM

I'm the type of guy that'll chug down 14 beers at the bar on Friday night, and go out on Saturday and hit a 90 foot double on my RM-Z250.
Not anymore you're not!

Originally posted by olePigeon:
translation: Hey ca$h! here's your ass back!

splatq  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2004, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by :XI::
Not anymore you're not!
Here's to number 19! w00t. See you at the track tomorrow. Wish I was joking.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 01:01 PM

ARGH.

- Rob
I second that motion. Its as tacky and trendy as getting barbed wire was was back in 1989.

If you're not 100% sure what it really means, don't get it put on your body.

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 01:44 PM

its funny you ask Demograph68, i believe it was actually started in japan you ****ing idiot. The japanese have been tattooing themselves for a lot longer than americans. And the Kanji has been used for many many years, on full body tattoos, they usually start mid calf, and go to half sleeve. do your research bro, I know you are young, but you have a computer, use it...

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by SamuraiDL:
Demograph68
not the same guy. and i wonder about the polynesians for the title of "the first"

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 01:53 PM

hahaaaaaaaaa, damn i get excited, sorry demograph, i meant george68, and no the japanese weren't the first, it just applies to them in this context as we are talking about Kanji.

Cohiba
Sep 18, 2004, 07:49 PM

Just a history lesson.

The Japanese culture used to practice tattooing heavily during the Jamone period (B.C.ish). No one really knows when the Jamon peroid started, or when it was subsequently either absorbed or destroyed by the Yayoi period. However, the Jamone people practiced both tattooing and tooth mutilation. The purpose was to dignify someone�s class. Tattoos were placed both on the forehead, neck, arms, legs, chest and back, basically everywhere. Tooth mutilation was also used to dignify royalty (as elitists could have softer food) because teeth at that time were animal essentials, so removing them made you less of an animal.

However, starting the Yayoi period, which was influenced by Korean style Buddhism (which was influenced by Chinese style Buddhism) tattooing became something of a taboo. In current day Japan, only people with a fascination with �other-then-Japanese-culture� cultures get tattoos, and these people are only really found around Tokyo. That and the Yakuza. Although, Yakuza tattoos are much different then your common fashion tattoo�s. Being in theYakuza, having arbitrary tattoos is considered having a weak and feeble mind instead of having an influx of creativity.

However, leave Tokyo (Japans largest, and really only place where foreigners live) and Tattooing is something that is rarely done. Many Jobs in Japan will fire you for getting tattoos, as they believe you are less into conforming, and more into autonomy (a no no in Japanese culture).

However, I would recommend that you ask a Japanese scholar before getting Kanji tattoos. It is rare to find Kanji tattoos in Japan (sometimes writing is used with a tattoo, but not used as the tattoo). Kanji is a very ambiguous writing system that even most Japanese do not understand fully. Less then 30% of Japanese citizens can read the front page of the Nihongo no Shinbun or the Asahi Times. People need to memorize 1964 Kanji to graduate from High School, but there are more then 8,000 that are used regularly, and each has different meanings depending on their usage. So if you get a Kanji tattoo, expect people to read it differently.

Just a story. I woman I knew (after the fact) was intrigued by geisha (and who of course would not be). Anyway, she decided to get a tattoo to symbolize herself in the same class of a geisha (which is ironic, as a geisha would never get a tattoo) on her lower back. But anyway, a lot of people do not know that geisha and prostitutes share the same kanji symbols (as both are into the, well, �entertaining men� business). However, geisha only show themselves for their profession by how they dress, where they live, and where they work and never use their kanji for any reason, as you could guess why. They just expect people to know what they are, and it is actually an insult to write their profession down in its kanji form. Anyway, to make a long story short, this woman now has prostitute tattooed on her back. So, before you want tattoos with a hidden meaning, I urge you to research that meaning deeply before you get them. And Kanji, and mostly all Asian cultures, have many deep and hidden meanings for just about anything.

Damn, I did it again, I really have to learn to not write so much.

Sorry people.

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 08:02 PM

thanx that was great, my favorite artist in Japan is Shige, of Yellowblaze.net he is in yakohoma.

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2004, 08:41 PM

As we drove around on Saturday morning errands we noticed a little shopping complex with a stereo installation place, cheap auto insurance office, a wheels (rims?) store, and an upstairs shop whose windows read "Piercings, Tattooing, Branding." It was like your one stop for being, I don't know what. At 32 am i so far removed from today's youth culture as to miss the point entirely? Is this the Gen X Gen Y gap?

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 03:01 AM

I dont think so...maybe... i know a lot of people in there thirties and forties with tattoos. However the art has come so far in the last ten years, that i think a lot of younger people have been attracted to the obvious enhancements in the industry.

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 03:02 AM

enhancements= wrong word, advancements= right word.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by storer:
How about not getting a tattoo until you have fully recovered from alcoholism.
... but make sure you get wasted when u get the tat applied ... you dont wanna be totally alert when a someone is intentionally needling you

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2004, 05:34 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
... but make sure you get wasted when u get the tat applied ... you dont wanna be totally alert when a someone is intentionally needling you
Yeah, it would be much better to bleed to death!
(Tattoos+alcohol=not a good idea)

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 02:23 PM

being sober rocks first of all, second, getting tattooed sober is even better. The pain is amazing, especially when the endorphins start rushing. I have sat for four and a half hours before, and trust me it is awesome!!!!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2004, 02:42 PM

what you said and that the feeling is so addictive

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 02:49 PM

oh hell yeah, ive got about twenty hours of work and im getting another piece in oct. addictive as hell...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2004, 03:01 PM

i'm sitting with 3 pieces that i am continually designing for and working on.
right calf, left calf, right ribcage side.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 04:39 PM

I have the utmost respect for people who are in AA... they are taking back control of their lives and it is not an easy thing to do, keep it up and you will not regret being sober...

anyways...

My mom has 3 tattoos, she is about 40 and they look fine... keep in mind she got them like 5 years ago but still. she mostly got ones that are a part of her personality.

personally I find it kinda sad that you would poke fun at yourself, I think it would be better to get something positive, so when you see it n the mirror or whatever it is a good thing... The past is there... you will never forget it.. the important thing is the future, focus on that and what that will bring you...

and again, My mom is in AA and I have the utmost respect for her, I see her as a much better person now that she is sober... all these fawkers dont understand what it is like, not that I do personally... but I have a rough idea... Stay sober, trust me you will not regret it... and bring this thread back when you get your tat...

Zach

george68
Banned
Sep 19, 2004, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the advice, it sure helped! I got this b&tch named Kristen tattoo'ed on my arm. F()CK she is UGLY!
AhHAhaha. I know, let's change the subject from 'idiots who get japanese character tattooed on their back to be trendy and fit in with the 'in-crowd' because they lack enough self esteem to do something original and have small penises, to degrading comments on my attractive wife! That'll work!

What a moron.

Hey, you should get a honda civic with a big muffler. I hear that's a pretty cool thing to do also. Dumbass.

- Ca$h

Forum Links
Forum Rules