Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Fable [XBOX Game] Can't Wait!

Fable [XBOX Game] Can't Wait!
spatterson
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 12:59 PM

So who here is waiting for the game fable? I know I've been waiting for ages.

The game is a new groundbreaking RPG.

Gamer-Talk describes it as "A players' every action determines their character's skills, appearance and morality. The character's life story is created from childhood to death. They can grow from an inexperienced child into the most powerful being in the world, choose the path of righteousness, or dedicate their life to evil. Muscles expand with each feat of strength; force of will increases with each work of wit. Obesity follows gluttony, skin tans with exposure to sunlight and bleaches bone-white by moonlight. Players earn scars in battle and lines of experience with age. Each person they aid, each flower they crush, each creature they slay, will change the world forever. In "Fable," gamers decide: "Who will I be?"

I can't wait to pick up my copy after the 14th!

Fable Site

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2004, 02:14 PM

i've been waiting for fable for a long time.
i understand about everything that they promised not being in the game. they did promise a lot of huge things, like the npcs that grow through the story and stuff like that.
i am not looking at the game in a what they promised point of view, i am looking at it from the point of view of what is written on that dvd i am buying on tuesday, and i am very sure i will be most happy with it.

tuesday!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2004, 02:17 PM

This is a true RPG right?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2004, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Define?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2004, 03:32 PM

Some might call it an Adventure-RPG...

-Owl

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2004, 03:40 PM

this game looks amazing... I WANT IT!

spatterson  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Peter:
this game looks amazing... I WANT IT!
Heck Yeah! But the game ships on tuesday... so you won't get it in your hands till wed! I think they should ship it before hand.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2004, 04:04 PM

I've heard that it's closer to the 3D Zeldas than a traditional RPG. I think you do manage your stats and progress, but all of the action is real time. I think you are also pretty limited in where you can go and when.

Still looks cool as heck. I'll be picking it up for sure.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2004, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by subego:
Define?
Not those stupid points that you have to gain and when you run into a bad guy everything sits still and you use 200 points of magic and so forth. I hate those.

Knights of the old republic pissed me off from the start as I had to gain skill points to open a door.

I like the Zelda method better.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2004, 04:35 PM

Not those stupid points that you have to gain and when you run into a bad guy everything sits still and you use 200 points of magic and so forth. I hate those.

Knights of the old republic pissed me off from the start as I had to gain skill points to open a door.

I like the Zelda method better.
Gotcha.

I hope you stuck with KotoR though. Even if you don't like the system (which, having misspent much youth with D&D, I dug), it was way more Star Wars than anything George Lucas has done lately.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2004, 04:44 PM

Gotcha.

I hope you stuck with KotoR though. Even if you don't like the system (which, having misspent much youth with D&D, I dug), it was way more Star Wars than anything George Lucas has done lately.
I just read a huge review on Fable, it seems it is that gain and buy experiance stuff that I can't stand, the only game I liked it in was Crono Trigger.

Anywho, no I gave up on KoToR after a couple hours cuz I hated that points system, I would love to get back into it though but it had so little action in the time I played.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

spatterson  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 04:56 PM

Gotcha.

Boy is that true.... Did you play both good and evil... Evil was harder as good was easier... for me atleast...

Overall the game was 78hrs long

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2004, 05:02 PM

I just read a huge review on Fable, it seems it is that gain and buy experiance stuff that I can't stand, the only game I liked it in was Crono Trigger.

Anywho, no I gave up on KoToR after a couple hours cuz I hated that points system, I would love to get back into it though but it had so little action in the time I played.
The beginning is a bit dull. Things get better once you become a Jedi. If the system rubs you the wrong way though, it may not ultimately worth it. I think most people would agree though, it has that Star Wars feel, more than any recent game (or movie).

Somewhat back on topic, when was the last time Peter made a game that didn't disappoint?

Syndicate?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by spatterson:
Boy is that true.... Did you play both good and evil... Evil was harder as good was easier... for me atleast...

Overall the game was 78hrs long
Only as good.

I gotta admit though, the game had me wanting to switch along the way. I was way impressed with that.

The tough thing with good is you're always broke.

In addition, I missed the nifty armor near the end, which was only a teaser to not having picked any offensive Jedi powers by the final battle.

That was hard.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 12:26 PM

has anyone else gotten and playing fable yet?

i picked it up yesterday at bestbuy (they gave me an instant $5 off this and burnout 3 coupon).

i am around 3.5 hours into the game and i am loving it. so much fun. a lot more action-rpg. no turned based battles or anything.

bbcclo
Sep 16, 2004, 01:19 PM

i picked up the game on Tuesday....

its alright, so far i'm only about 2.5hrs into it though, so i'm sure the plot is going to get better.

I also haven't read the manual yet, or looked at any strategies yet so i don't know if i have the best weapons or anything... maybe i'll get more into it once the workload at my new job slows down.
15" Ti Powerbook | 15 gig 3G iPod

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 16, 2004, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by bbcclo:

its alright, so far i'm only about 2.5hrs into it though, so i'm sure the plot is going to get better.
According to reviews, it doesn't.

"Hello, what have we here?

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2004, 01:25 PM

What makes it different? The whole good side/ bad side thing was done in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

bbcclo
Sep 16, 2004, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
According to reviews, it doesn't.
d'oh

well maybe i'll just turn my little guy evil (right now i'm playing as a good guy making everyone happy, and its boring)... maybe that'll spice things up a notch.
15" Ti Powerbook | 15 gig 3G iPod

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by bbcclo:

well maybe i'll just turn my little guy evil (right now i'm playing as a good guy making everyone happy, and its boring)... maybe that'll spice things up a notch.
The reviews also said that being bad is much more fun.

I am not touching this one though...

LoganCharles
Banned
Sep 16, 2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
The reviews also said that being bad is much more fun.

I am not touching this one though...
Yeah it doesn't have Star Wars somewhere in the title so it must suck.

Man just think if they released a StarWars Mac. You'd be creaming in your Yoda Underoos.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 04:30 PM

Fable is a decent game. Nothing great.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by LoganCharles:
Yeah it doesn't have Star Wars somewhere in the title so it must suck.

Man just think if they released a StarWars Mac. You'd be creaming in your Yoda Underoos.
Wroooong. Almost all the star wars games aren't that great. I even bought KOTOR and I don't like it at all.

Yet today I went out and bought 2 non-star wars related games and Pikmen 2 last week which I love.

Burn.

Uriel
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2004, 08:45 AM

Fable's awesome I'm nearly done with it. My friend just beat it yesterday. It took him about 15hrs, but he didn't do many of side quest.

Personally I love the game, there's a lot of options in it that make it really worth it. The fighting system is great, but the rpg elements are fun also.

Levling isn't like a normal RPG, it depends greatly on what you use. For example, you want to be big and strong? Use your hand to hand combat and make sure you eat plenty of meat. Want to be good at magic? Use your magic a lot. That gains you experience points in that subcatagory that you can upgrade with. You also have a general experience that you get from killing people, there's can apply to any subcatagory.

The game is pretty open ended, probably a little more linear than most people wanted, but I think it's a perfect balance between being open eneded and having a good interesting plot.

I've been loving the game, it's been really well worth it, I highly reccomend it.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2004, 09:34 AM

This is the only game so far that's made me actually consider buying an XBox.

Hmm. Maybe I'll buy one, mod the bejeezus out of it, and use it for MAME and stuff. It doesn't make sense to buy a system for only one game, but something as moddable as this has some other posibilities...
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules