Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Alchemy TV Settings

Alchemy TV Settings
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 10:10 PM

I recently picked up one of these, and really enjoy it. The latest software is a great improvement from the previous version. I noticed that there are a few here that own and use an Alchemy TV card. Being a novice to video and compression methods, I'm wondering what people have found to be an optimal setting for recording. I'm looking for the highest compression I can get, and still have the picture quality be pretty good.

Right now I'm using the MPEG-4 setting, 640x480 (NTSC), 50% Codec Quality. I am getting files that are roughly 1.26GB for a 26 minute recording. Obviously, this is pretty high. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2004, 05:39 AM

I can not give you advice since my G3 350 B&W 'must' to use the MPEG2, another options are not welcome by the CPU I friend of mine records tv directly to divx, that with a 1.8 G5.

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2004, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
I recently picked up one of these, and really enjoy it. The latest software is a great improvement from the previous version. I noticed that there are a few here that own and use an Alchemy TV card. Being a novice to video and compression methods, I'm wondering what people have found to be an optimal setting for recording. I'm looking for the highest compression I can get, and still have the picture quality be pretty good.

Right now I'm using the MPEG-4 setting, 640x480 (NTSC), 50% Codec Quality. I am getting files that are roughly 1.26GB for a 26 minute recording. Obviously, this is pretty high. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?
What computer are you using this card in? I'm asking this because I've almost ordered one, but I'm unsure if my G4 with 466 pumped to 533 will be able to handle this workload...
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by motti:
What computer are you using this card in? I'm asking this because I've almost ordered one, but I'm unsure if my G4 with 466 pumped to 533 will be able to handle this workload...
Ok, so now the postman delivered it to me and my G4 is arching under the workload, but vcr import quality is outstanding!
Goodbye VHS, goodbye stranger
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 09:13 AM

I want an internal option, but EyeTV's software has spoiled me. I think I'll be geting the EyeTV 200 to go along with my EyeTV USB. Alchemy's software is looking better...but still...

Maybe I'll just set the box inside of the G4.

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2004, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
I want an internal option, but EyeTV's software has spoiled me. I think I'll be geting the EyeTV 200 to go along with my EyeTV USB. Alchemy's software is looking better...but still...

Maybe I'll just set the box inside of the G4.
After playing a bit around with the DVR software, I must say that 1:2 screen size, 85% quality and encoded with jpeg b is absolutely sufficient for watching the serials I record, like Friends or The Simpsons.

Forum Links
Forum Rules