Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OW5.0 final is out

OW5.0 final is out (Page 5)
nebben123
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2004, 01:04 PM

ok so the big thing that still bugs me about OW5 is that if you have the tab drawer hidden, and do CMD-T to make a new tab, the drawer pops out again. this is really annoying if i want to keep my browser window wide and minimalist.

i'd like to see an option to NOT open the tab drawer UNLESS i do it with the menu item or key combo. ideally, one should be able to do CMD-T to make a new tab, then navigate through the tabs using CMD-UPARROW or CMD-DOWNARROW without having that pesky tab drawer taking up space.

don't get me wrong, i love the tab drawer, i just want it to appear when *I* want it there, not when OW thinks it should appear.

ben

cpac
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2004, 02:15 PM

FWIW - if you don't keep the tab drawer open, then tabs loose much (if not all) of their benefit over simply using multiple windows.

Why not just use multiple full screen windows? (using command-` and command-shift-` to change between them, or the Window menu/Expose/minimize to dock to see them?)
cpac

drainyoo
Senior User
Sep 24, 2004, 02:52 PM

Any new info on the release of 5.1? Last I read they were done and just trying to schedule the release.

This browser is just amazing and the updated Webcore will just make it perfect!
i hate project managers.

drainyoo
Senior User
Sep 24, 2004, 03:12 PM

In response to all the posts about OW being slower than Safari...

Before today Safari was my default browser and from where Im sitting right now, OW renders pages faster than Safari. For example, I run a Mets fan site which has a forum, www.amazinz.com, the forum runs sooo much faster in OW than it does in Safari. I click on a thread and it pops up instantly. In Safari the whole forum felt sluggish.

I cant wait for 5.1. It is really going to fly!
i hate project managers.

osxisfun
Sep 24, 2004, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by drainyoo:
In response to all the posts about OW being slower than Safari...

Before today Safari was my default browser and from where Im sitting right now, OW renders pages faster than Safari. For example, I run a Mets fan site which has a forum, www.amazinz.com, the forum runs sooo much faster in OW than it does in Safari. I click on a thread and it pops up instantly. In Safari the whole forum felt sluggish.

I cant wait for 5.1. It is really going to fly!
does this site use javascript extensively? i heard thats one of the big improvements in the next safari.

cpac
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2004, 03:28 PM

sorry to burst any bubbles, but it does seem doubtful that OW would be much faster than Safari, at least in its current state. (since it uses an older version of webcore, does more with it, etc.)

I love, and always use OW, but when I'm forced to use Safari or Camino I find both of them to be faster at rendering. (not faster enough to make me want to switch, and I'm sure 5.1 will close the gap even more).

If Safari was slow for you, could it have been because you were using PithHelmet? (That's reputed to slow things down significantly)
cpac

drainyoo
Senior User
Sep 24, 2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
does this site use javascript extensively? i heard thats one of the big improvements in the next safari.
Um Im not sure. Its a PHP forum.
i hate project managers.

drainyoo
Senior User
Sep 24, 2004, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
sorry to burst any bubbles, but it does seem doubtful that OW would be much faster than Safari, at least in its current state. (since it uses an older version of webcore, does more with it, etc.)

I love, and always use OW, but when I'm forced to use Safari or Camino I find both of them to be faster at rendering. (not faster enough to make me want to switch, and I'm sure 5.1 will close the gap even more).

If Safari was slow for you, could it have been because you were using PithHelmet? (That's reputed to slow things down significantly)
I do use Pith but I tried it with pith turned off and there was no difference. On my forum OW is much faster, thats for sure. The rest of the web seems the same for me so if OW is slower I really dont notice it. Since I spend a lot of time on my forum I can really tell the difference.
i hate project managers.

drainyoo
Senior User
Sep 24, 2004, 04:58 PM

Anyone figure out how to block ads from maccentral.com?

The ad server is spinbox.macworld.com. I added it to the list but it only blocks a few ads on the site. I tried a few combos and nothing.
i hate project managers.

nebben123
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2004, 08:15 PM

FWIW - if you don't keep the tab drawer open, then tabs loose much (if not all) of their benefit over simply using multiple windows.

Why not just use multiple full screen windows? (using command-` and command-shift-` to change between them, or the Window menu/Expose/minimize to dock to see them?)
because sometimes i want to go back to tabbed browsing with the current set of tabs i am viewing. but it irks me if i'm tab-browsing with the tab drawer hidden, and want to (for instance) cmd-click a link to open in a new tab... while continuing to read the current webpage at full screen... and POP! tab drawer slides open and re-sizes my window. it's a huge distraction and annoyance to have to close the tab drawer.

does that make sense? i just like to load up a few pages in the tab drawer, hide the tab drawer while i'm reading (so it's easier to read some sites who assume you are viewing at 1024 pixels wide) ... navigate using cmd-up or cmd-down, then open the tab drawer again when i'm done.

i want the to control the tab drawer, not have the tab drawer attempt to control me.

ben

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2004, 05:27 PM

Can we start the 5.2/5.5 feature wish list yet?

Anyone? Pleeeeeeeeeeease?

BZ

drainyoo
Senior User
Sep 25, 2004, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
Can we start the 5.2/5.5 feature wish list yet?

Anyone? Pleeeeeeeeeeease?

BZ
HAHA. Dont you think we should at least wait until 5.1 is released?
i hate project managers.

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2004, 11:04 PM

HAHA. Dont you think we should at least wait until 5.1 is release?
Omniweb 5.1 isn't going to have any new features beyond the latest Webcore.

As for my 5.2 wishlist, here's a start:

* "Animate Image" in contextual menu
* Download progress indicator in Dock icon
* Better RSS view (show descriptions)

Hmm, not sure what else, really. Just more compatibility and speed.

drainyoo
Senior User
Sep 25, 2004, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by nickm:
Omniweb 5.1 isn't going to have any new features beyond the latest Webcore.

As for my 5.2 wishlist, here's a start:

* Download progress indicator in Dock icon

Hmm, not sure what else, really. Just more compatibility and speed.
Thats right, Sorry.

I would like better ad blocking. The current one just doesnt work that well. Other than that the App is just awesome.
i hate project managers.

Mike S.
Senior User
Sep 26, 2004, 07:25 AM

The animate image context menu would be a small but much appreciated and used enhancement. Maybe animated images can have a small badge or fade in control when you mouse over them; clicking it will make it play. If your default is set to animate images, the control/click will serve to stop them.

On RSS, I'd definitely like to see it enhanced. Apple's implementation looks pretty slick but that plug-in for FireFox also looks rather nice as well.

I think a better interface than just plopping it in bookmark style is called for; OmniWeb is so polished and slick in all other aspects that the RSS system comes off feeling like a last minute idea.

Anyway, no rush OmniDevs just tossing out ideas for the future since the topic is here

yskar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2004, 07:56 AM

My feature requests for OW 5.2 or later:

- "Print Frame" context menu
- Keyboard shortcut for "Reload All Tabs" (command+option+R would be appropriate)
- "Open in a new tab instead of a new window" option

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2004, 09:14 AM

A list of things I have already submitted to the OmniTeam.

5.2 or 5.5 wish list...

- It would be nice if in site preferences, you could get to the bookmark information. Like today, saw that Zope.org was changed thanks to bookmark checking, went to the page and wanted to switch it from checking daily to maybe weekly. In site preferences, I couldn't find it (it is in bookmarks). Is there a way to connect the two? Or "Go to bookmark"?

- In site preferences it would be nice to have those columns sortable (size, etc)

- It would be great to have a preference for the bookmarks to always open in a new tab. I find I am always opening a new tab just to fill it with the bookmarks. Now, I actually leave it as the first tab, but switch to it often. How about a making a preference for that.

- If you are on a page that has a link to a PDF (say the MacNN posts about Tiger features) and someone links to a PDF, when you click on it, it opens a new tab (fine) starts to download the PDF (fine), closes the tab (fine) and leaves you on the last tab in the list (NOT fine). It should bring you back to the Tab you were on.

- It would also be nice if there was a key command to switch back to last tab, like you do in the finder and applications. Using the mouse is a little annoying. Right now there is no easy way to switch between two tabs that are not next to each other.

- When the search field has nothing in it, it shows the search source (VersionTracker, Google, etc). Well, when you have an old search in there, you can't tell which source it is from. How about if you provide a hover text when over the search field or when typing in the search field something like "Google: adfasdf" (and could expand as you type.

- A preference to remember more searches like ones you did on other search fields would be nice. 10 searches, 10 days, either.

- When looking at a sites information, it would be nice to be able to sort on the values. It looks like you can, but when you click on the columns (size, type, modified) they don't sort.

- A total of all object sizes (html + js + css + images) and time for downloaded content (how long it took)

- The ability to select a bunch of links (links to images, pdfs) on the page and have the contextual menu refer to only those selected. So if there were a page with a 100 PDFs linked, I could select 10 of them, right click and get "Download links as..."

- Basic editing features for remembering key commands and custom keys would be great in the pop up text box. Of course, the other VERY cool thing to do with that box is figure out how to make a preference to pop up into another editor like BBEdit so when I click on the little box in the upper right corner it opens up BBEdit.

- Take a look at the amazing features in the WebDeveloper extension for FireFox. There just hundreds of cool features for showing images, css block levels, etc. Three ways I think you could go about this. 1) Include some of the better features. 2) Build a way for developers to build OmniExtensions 3) Build a way to use FireFox extensions (very hard).

- More RSS features. (rip of Tiger's Safari).

- A preference for scrolling speed.

- Ability to add bookmarks by dragging and dropping onto favorites folder, having it pop open so you can put it where you want it. Currently just lets you drop it on the folder and it goes to the top.

BZ
( Last edited by BZ; Sep 26, 2004 at 10:13 AM. )

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2004, 07:08 PM

Thats right, Sorry.

I would like better ad blocking. The current one just doesnt work that well. Other than that the App is just awesome.
I find the ad blocking to be very powerful and flexible. It may have a somewhat steep learning curve though. How are you using it? What problems are you seeing?

~BS

drainyoo
Senior User
Sep 27, 2004, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by MrBS:
I find the ad blocking to be very powerful and flexible. It may have a somewhat steep learning curve though. How are you using it? What problems are you seeing?

~BS
BS, I was having problems and found out that my prefs file was corrupt. I trashed it and now it works great. I think the ad blocking feature works very well.
i hate project managers.

pliny
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 09:48 PM

hi you guys over at omni, how is the work on 5.1 coming along?
i look in your general direction

drainyoo
Senior User
Sep 28, 2004, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by pliny:
hi you guys over at omni, how is the work on 5.1 coming along?
Supposedly its done and they are just coordinating the release but its been over a week now. Im dying for this to be released.
i hate project managers.

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2004, 10:36 AM

Supposedly its done and they are just coordinating the release but its been over a week now
Patience, grasshopper. It takes more than a week for software to be released, even when it is "done". There are localizations to work on, websites to update, press releases to write, and all of that.

drainyoo
Senior User
Sep 29, 2004, 11:08 AM

Patience, grasshopper. It takes more than a week for software to be released, even when it is "done". There are localizations to work on, websites to update, press releases to write, and all of that.
Yeah I know, I just lack patience and this browser kicks butt. Its going to kick even more butt when it has the new Webcore in it.
i hate project managers.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2004, 03:33 PM

They've actually been tossing around the figure 1.8x as much butt kicked in 5.1 on the mailing list, I'm not sure if that was just about the betas or if that's their final version.

Butt an 80% increase in kicked butts is impressive, although my guess is we'll only have about an 40% gain in kicked butts and 40% of the already kicked butts will have a 100% gain in their kicking.

~BS

osxisfun
Sep 29, 2004, 04:44 PM

They've actually been tossing around the figure 1.8x as much butt kicked in 5.1 on the mailing list, I'm not sure if that was just about the betas or if that's their final version.

Butt an 80% increase in kicked butts is impressive, although my guess is we'll only have about an 40% gain in kicked butts and 40% of the already kicked butts will have a 100% gain in their kicking.

~BS

You just made a sale omni-people.

That whole last rev of web core has been sticking in my craw but soon, craw fixed.

good news!

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2004, 12:39 PM

History has shown, time and again, that people who get excited by claims that seem too good to be true will be disappointed. Omniweb 5.1 will be better than 5.0, but don't expect miracles.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2004, 10:27 AM

History has shown, time and again, that people who get excited by claims that seem too good to be true will be disappointed.
Hmmm... like the claim that OW 5.1 was finished, maybe? ::compulsively checks for updates again::
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 1, 2004, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by workerbee:
Hmmm... like the claim that OW 5.1 was finished, maybe? ::compulsively checks for updates again::
Im the same way.
i hate project managers.

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2004, 10:58 AM

Im the same way.
well there was that beta tester's SNAFU on the OW mailing list that indicated that the private beta testing they've been doing has at least reached sp8. (and I bet a few non-beta people downloaded it before it was pulled.) Regardless, it was still labeled an "sp" rather than "beta" or "rc." Now I know you can't really read too much into that... but I would have felt more confident about an "any day now" release if it weren't labeled as an sp...
cpac

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2004, 12:28 PM

well there was that beta tester's SNAFU on the OW mailing list that indicated that the private beta testing they've been doing has at least reached sp8. (and I bet a few non-beta people downloaded it before it was pulled.) Regardless, it was still labeled an "sp" rather than "beta" or "rc." Now I know you can't really read too much into that... but I would have felt more confident about an "any day now" release if it weren't labeled as an sp...
Sneakypeeks on the private beta track tend to be few and far betwen; as such, they're generally of higher quality than those SPs released to the public.

I can't say much more, but sp8 is very close to release candidate status.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

Amorya
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 07:06 PM

Well, I put my money where my mouth is... I now own an OmniWeb license! Woot

Kudos to the Omni guys for getting me a license key within three minutes - even though I ordered educational discount. Well done!

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2004, 08:43 PM

Once 5.1 comes out, I'll consider switching. 5.0 with the older webcore has several image bugs I just can't live with. I even tried today to switch, but found one of my favorite web comics unreadable.

I submitted the bog back in the beta days and was told 5.1 will fix it. Glad to hear it is close, as overall I like what I see in 5.0.

(For a good example, my signature image below should be a blue question mark to any OW 5 users)
<This space under renovation>

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by Rickster on 9/20:
About the only thing holding up the 5.1 release at this point is getting a date scheduled and coordinated with the various people involved... very soon.
2 weeks and counting... are you folks developping your very own scheduling and coordination app for this?! (Not that I'd mind -- OmniCalendar... mmmhhh)

:: frustratedly starts Safari to open banking website ::
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2004, 02:24 AM

You know how it is, Tim was ready when Rickster was doing his hair. By the time Rickster was done Tim had made a sandwich, and while he was eating that Rickster found a show on TV... anyway they're almost out the door. They promise.

~BS

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2004, 03:37 PM

You know how it is, Tim was ready when Rickster was doing his hair. By the time Rickster was done Tim had made a sandwich, and while he was eating that Rickster found a show on TV... anyway they're almost out the door. They promise.

~BS
Or (dare we hope?) they may just be waiting for a final version from apple of whatever webcore updates are rolled into 10.3.6...
cpac

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2004, 04:00 PM

I doubt it... it seems that they really need to add a lot of hooks and customize enough pieces of webcore that it's a pretty big undertaking. Not just like dropping in a new webkit or something.

~BS

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2004, 04:51 PM

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 6, 2004, 04:52 PM

FINALLY!!!!
i hate project managers.

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 6, 2004, 04:59 PM

Well it does seem faster.

The links on ESPN finally work now but the ESPN motion still doesnt. I have to keep messing with it to see any improvements.
i hate project managers.

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2004, 05:04 PM

hot damn.

too bad I'm stuck at work for now with crappy IE.
cpac

Rogue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2004, 05:06 PM

Woohoo, I've posted this from the 5.1 beta and so far it's looking good. Gmail now works and the speed is much improved with faster rendering of Apple's web site. Overall i'm very impressed.

--Rogue

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 6, 2004, 05:09 PM

hot damn.

too bad I'm stuck at work for now with crappy IE.
Stuck on a PC Pac?
i hate project managers.

squilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2004, 05:26 PM

"Open in new tabs" is grayed out in menus.

Faster, though. And some sites that had trouble loading before now work.

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2004, 05:30 PM

Stuck on a PC Pac?
Yep.

[off topic]
I get those day dreams of purchasing my own mac for work, and convincing them of letting me use it - I mean they've been UNIX and then NT and now XP for a long time and use all sorts of custom apps, but since it's all UNIX based it couldn't be that hard to port to osx, right? (and there's always Citrix). But I realize it's almost certainly a pipe dream for now. One day, when I get my own law firm or make partner here though....
[/off topic]
cpac

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 05:40 PM

w00t @ the beta

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 6, 2004, 05:44 PM

Yep.

[off topic]
I get those day dreams of purchasing my own mac for work, and convincing them of letting me use it - I mean they've been UNIX and then NT and now XP for a long time and use all sorts of custom apps, but since it's all UNIX based it couldn't be that hard to port to osx, right? (and there's always Citrix). But I realize it's almost certainly a pipe dream for now. One day, when I get my own law firm or make partner here though....
[/off topic]
Sorry bro. I feel for ya.
i hate project managers.

acollins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2004, 06:02 PM

Quick question for Rickster or Tim2 -

What are the odds that OmniWeb will adopt the new "aquaish platinum" of the recently leaked Mail 2.0 screenshots once Tiger is released? Will the tabs drawer be replaced by the pane/panel/whatever-you-call-it that took the place of the mailboxes drawer?

Just curious...

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2004, 06:09 PM

Well it does seem faster.

The links on ESPN finally work now but the ESPN motion still doesnt. I have to keep messing with it to see any improvements.
I just tried it on my powerbook with 5.1b1 and had no issues. Not sure what's up.

-matt

Macanoid
Senior User
Oct 6, 2004, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by acollins:
What are the odds that OmniWeb will adopt the new "aquaish platinum" of the recently leaked Mail 2.0 screenshots once Tiger is released? Will the tabs drawer be replaced by the pane/panel/whatever-you-call-it that took the place of the mailboxes drawer?
another vote for this - that would be so nice.......

Spliff
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 06:24 PM

Hmm, I downloaded Omniweb and now I have a dilemma: which browser do I use? I can't decide between Safari, Firefox, or Omniweb (assuming I buy it).

I have two requests for Omniweb.

1) It'd be nice if you could add a "New Tab" widget to the customize toolbar options in Omniweb. Firefox has that and I use it all the time.

2) Would it be possible to add a section to the Omniweb homepage that lists various search engine strings that can be added to the Search Shortcuts pane? Ambrosia has this for iSeek and Firefox has this, as well.

Or is there a site already where users have submitted search shortcuts for the various search engines out there?

Forum Links
Forum Rules