Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Color ipod, A/V Out...

Color ipod, A/V Out...
Weezer
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 02:39 AM

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 03:19 AM

I will be ordering ASAP !
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

d.fine
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 03:29 AM

Cool !

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 8, 2004, 03:39 AM

It looks really interesting, and I will be in the market for a new iPod by Christmas. We'll see what becomes of this...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

curmi
Senior User
Oct 8, 2004, 03:52 AM

Lack of movie viewing capability (even if just to the A/V out, not to small screen) will be sure to get some bad press.

However - a great business use if Apple provides the software to automate it (or someone else writes it). Take your keynote presentation, convert to slide show on your iPod. Go to your next business meeting and just pull out and use your iPod for the presentation! Shame the transitions (cube effect for example) are lost...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2004, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by curmi:
Lack of movie viewing capability (even if just to the A/V out, not to small screen) will be sure to get some bad press.
Yeah.

Even though the press I've read on the little movie players seems to have concluded that NOBODY - not even the manufacturers - has any idea what those stupid little video players are supposed to be good for. They're missing the "killer app".

I LOVE and (and asked for previously) the album artwork display - exactly what I want.

AUDIO IN? pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.

I'll buy one PRONTO if it has audio in as well.

-s*

radii_22
Oct 8, 2004, 05:44 AM

I think it's good for Apple to increase the capabilities of the iPod. I hope it will not become too thick. In regard of the video capabilities, I consider that as a handicap, I don't know why Apple is so shy with integrating home video in his products.

I will make some considerations :

1. The Elgato EyeHome is so interesting. Integration with AirPort Express, integration with iTunes and iPhoto : the same apps integrated with the presumable new iPod. The down-side : It plays the movies stored in the "movies" folder, with no order and playlisting. It's not its fault, off course.

2. There are iTunes, the music reproduction killer app. iPhoto, the photo organisation killer app (which can be dramatically improved). iMovie, the movie CREATION killer app, iDVD, the movie CREATION killer app, and GarageBand, the music CREATION killer home app. Is something missing right there?

3. Photoshop elements can be the partner of iPhoto in photo creation and editing (if you consider that you can't do it with the filters included in iPhoto).

4. I think that the most considerable hole is in the movie organisation. Making playlists of your home movies, home made DVD's (if that is possible), and your legally created Divx (i guess that DivX is for digital video, as the MP3/AAC is for digital audio. I don't know a lot about codecs, just imagine something like that, a format which can store a DVD information in a hard disk). I guess that this is the point in where the Digital Hub of Apple is "failing" right now, and that's the reason of the lacking of video reproduction in the iPod.

I was just speculating, I hope to see something like iCinema, or something like that, in the next generation iLife.

--->>>
--->>> Karate is only for defense

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Oct 8, 2004, 05:52 AM

big dealio

every digital camera has the same capabilities but also takes pictures

total waste of time imho

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Oct 8, 2004, 05:54 AM

if they took an ipod , made it a horizontal form factor with a say . 6 inch touch screen colour screen , now that would be interesting

play movies on the hd , and add airport extreme

whammo

a hit !

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 05:58 AM

Originally posted by eddiecatflap:
big dealio

every digital camera has the same capabilities but also takes pictures

total waste of time imho
I'm not sure, but how many Digital Cameras do you know that have a 60GB drive?

Ian
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2004, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by eddiecatflap:
if they took an ipod , made it a horizontal form factor with a say . 6 inch touch screen colour screen , now that would be interesting

play movies on the hd , and add airport extreme

whammo

a hit !
Nobody wants to watch movies on a portable player, UNLESS it's hooked up to a TV or other external screen.

Handheld-TV manufacturers found out the hard way in the 80s, and now there's a couple of idiot companies making the same mistake over again...

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2004, 07:03 AM

I just hope the hidden feature of the 4G iPods is a video out that hooks up to the dock connector.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

Busemann
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 08:24 AM

Instead of photo-viewing capabilities, I'd rather want them to build in WiFi so it could act as a remote for AirTunes.

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2004, 09:38 AM

This is a logical step, perhaps a first step moving iPod toward an AV device.

I remember there was a rumor about TiVo-like device from Apple. Don't know whether this is it or not. But I am sure that we will see more video-capable devices integrated with iPhoto/iMovie from Apple soon.

Does this also mean that iPhoto will be Windows-compatible soon? Hell is to be freezed over second time.

Paco Loco
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2004, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by Busemann:
Instead of photo-viewing capabilities, I'd rather want them to build in WiFi so it could act as a remote for AirTunes.
I second that one.

I think they should be focusing on the audio side of things - there's still so much more that the iPod should/could do;
Built in recording.
Built in iTrip.
More controls on the remote.
Digital radio receiver.
Wi-Fi.
etc.

Viewing photos on your iPod doesn't get me too excited, and though plugging it into a TV and showing a slideshow is a good feature, how often would you use it really?
Also I think the colour screen is a real shame - what is that going to do to battery life??

On the subject of video, I really don't believe that ANYONE has a genuine use for a portable video player with a two inch screen - what the hell is the point??

I wish Apple and all the other makers of portable music players would realise what we really want - just concentrate on making them smaller and making the batteries last longer!!!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2004, 11:31 AM

I don't know if I want one
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by Paco Loco:
I second that one.

I think they should be focusing on the audio side of things - there's still so much more that the iPod should/could do;
Built in recording.
Built in iTrip.
More controls on the remote.
Digital radio receiver.
Wi-Fi.
etc.

Viewing photos on your iPod doesn't get me too excited, and though plugging it into a TV and showing a slideshow is a good feature, how often would you use it really?
Also I think the colour screen is a real shame - what is that going to do to battery life??

On the subject of video, I really don't believe that ANYONE has a genuine use for a portable video player with a two inch screen - what the hell is the point??

I wish Apple and all the other makers of portable music players would realise what we really want - just concentrate on making them smaller and making the batteries last longer!!!
A built in iTrip would make it illegal in many countries, and some of the other items would put accessory makers out of business.

Ian

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 12:28 PM

def think u should be able to store video files and play through av/out. i dont like the idea of a mini video player but i think it would be awesome to be able to play it out to my big screen w/o having to carry my laptop around to certain places.

mafia
http://www.mafia-designs.com

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2004, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
I don't know if I want one
I want one.

Don't know how much I'm willing to pay though

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Parky:
A built in iTrip would make it illegal in many countries
Ok, that might be true.

and some of the other items would put accessory makers out of business.
Why would Apple care about that ?

-t

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Ok, that might be true.

Why would Apple care about that ?

-t
Because it's one of the BIG selling points of the iPod, all the great things you can buy for it.
If Apple start upsetting the makers, stealing their products (but they have done it before) then they might stop bothering.

Ian

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2004, 12:52 PM

Because it's one of the BIG selling points of the iPod, all the great things you can buy for it.
If Apple start upsetting the makers, stealing their products (but they have done it before) then they might stop bothering.
That's not how business works.

If there is a market, someone will go in a offer a product, for which there is demand. If a second (or third) supplier comes in, than they either gotta share that market or expannd it.

Of course, Apple would piss some 3rd party suppliers off by integrating some of their accessories into the iPod, but so what ?

They (3rd party suppliers) will only stop bothering if there is no other buck to make. And even if they stop bothering, why bother ?
That aprticular function is then already included in the iPod.

If they would stop bothering about the iPod at all, so what ?
Someone else will be happy to jump in and offer a product.

-t

novocain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 12:56 PM

how about the battery......

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by novocain:
how about the battery......
It'll probably suck.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2004, 07:06 PM

While I think an iPod with a color screen that can easily sync and show iPhoto content is a great idea, I can only hope that Apple doesn't miss the ball by being so iPod focused. This new iPod, if it is true, is great for making your iTunes and iPhoto content portable outside of the home. However, when I'm inside the home I don't want to have to hook up an iPod via a cable to my home theater system to see this content. I want an Apple-branded set-top box ... something along the line of the Elgato EyeHome .... that can display/play iTunes (including ITMS tracks), iPhoto, and Movie content on my home theater over an Airport connection. Something with a remote. Something that acts like just another home theater component. DVR capabilities would be cool but not necessary for my purposes (because if it wasn't dual-tuner and integrated with DirecTV it would suck anyway). I shouldn't have to go break out the iPod and hook it up to the home theater system just to show some pictures to family and friends. I shouldn't have to get up from the couch and walk over to the home theater system just to back up and re-display a picture because there is no remote.

Again, a color iPod is great when you are out and about but it is not at all that convenient as a home solution.

OAW

tmbr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 08:56 PM

I read a rumor about this a few days ago. Am I the only one who really really wants an iPod that has the ability to also play radio? I would really like an AM/FM radio on the iPod.

Now, maybe someone out there who is smarter than me can tell me this. Why is it that many mp3 devices on the market that do come with radio capability only offer fm? is it a big deal to put am on there also? Is it because of reception?

Just curious.

http://www.freestuffnetwork.biz

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2004, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by tmbr:
I read a rumor about this a few days ago. Am I the only one who really really wants an iPod that has the ability to also play radio? I would really like an AM/FM radio on the iPod.

Now, maybe someone out there who is smarter than me can tell me this. Why is it that many mp3 devices on the market that do come with radio capability only offer fm? is it a big deal to put am on there also? Is it because of reception?
Hm. I know that radio devices of any kind require state-by-state licensing in many countries. Also, you'd need different international versions, since radio bands differ across continents. (One-size-fits-all is not an option, since selling a Japanese radio - which can be used to hear police band in Germany - is technically illegal here, for example.)

Another aspect might be that a lot of iPod use occurs in automobiles, via car stereo - which, obviously, has radio built-in.

Speaking for myself: I use the iPod specifically because I *don't* want to have to listen to radio.

-s*

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 11:28 PM

Eh. I'd still rather have a 802.11b/g thing instead of a color screen. But that's just me. i use it for music and that's pretty much it.
iamwhor3hay

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 09:35 AM

I think this will open up a new market for selling iPod slideshows of a band's photos. A company could collect photos and optimize them for iPod viewing (2") and sell a zipped file of the band performing live, backstage concert shots, etc. It would be like buying CD cover art, but better.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2004, 11:55 AM

A color screen sounds great. But it would fantastic to be able to play video clips of home movies along with photos. Granted the screen would be tiny, but it would be better than no photos/video at all. I hope the rumors are true!

The negative part of the deal is that the battery would probably suck like you wouldn't believe. Unless there's a new battery in the works as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules