Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Aiport Losing Connection with Modem

Aiport Losing Connection with Modem
VerdeSpider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 01:58 PM

OK ...

I am having a weird problem that I can't figure out, so if anyone has an idea, I am ready for some suggestions.

PowerBook TI (first generation)
OSX 10.35
Airport (first gen) & Airport Express
Time Warner Road Runner
RCA Cable Modem (3rd Generation)

I am having an odd problem where I am constantly losing my internet connection. My signal strenth to the airport is perfect. It is just that I will be online and then all of a sudden, I am not disconnected. I still have signal to the airport, but can't connect to the internet. If i simply restart the Airport all is fine again for anywhere from 1 minute up to an hour or more.

Now - this only happens when I am connected to the Airport. Direct ethernet to the PB works fine with no problems at all.

So far I have swapped the Ethernet wire, bought an Airport Express to replace the first gen airport I was using, swapped the cable modem for a new RCA job. Still the same problem.

The cable support guy told me that the Airport has troubles getting the new IP address when they change it since it isn't a static ID. I just have a hard time believing that nobody else is having the same trouble. I just put a router inbetween the modem and airport and it seems to have done the trick, but is there a setting that can make the airport work without this problem? I have a friend who has RCN and is having the same trouble, since I am her IT guy - I am trying to find an answer. So far Earthlink and TW haven't been much help.

If anyone knows the answer, I have a feeling it will be in this forum.

Thanks,
-Charles

Direct Link | Report abuse |

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2004, 06:57 PM

It happened to me too, and what I did was go to my network preferrences and click on the airport or ethernet cable connection and check everything has to be the same ( it will display green lights on one of AE or ethernet). First you should do always connect the ethernet cable from modem first to PB so you can obtain data on what internet connection you have, ISP.TCP/IP address,etc. Once you wrote down all the infos then unplugged & plugged back the ethernet cable to AE and apply all the same infos that you have on the ethernet infos on the network preferrences.

VerdeSpider  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2004, 12:45 PM

i'll try that tonight. i basically added a router before the airport and it works great now. much more stable as well as the benefit of a firewall makes it the way to go.

thanks for the info, i'll let you know how it turns out

-charles

Forum Links
Forum Rules