Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G3/700 iMac "Clicking Noise" Upon Manual Sleep

G3/700 iMac "Clicking Noise" Upon Manual Sleep
nutriskis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2004, 11:36 AM

I replaced the hard drive in my G3/ 700 iMac. with a new 100gb 7200rpm IDE. When I put it to sleep from the Apple Menu, I hear a "click, click" noise that repeats every second or so... like a noisy clock. The sound is emmanating from the area of the hard drive, hmmm? It does not make the noise when it goes to sleep on it's own (from the energy saver) Any ideas? Suggestions?:confused:
( Last edited by nutriskis; Oct 5, 2004 at 10:17 AM. )

nutriskis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2004, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by nutriskis:
I replaced the hard drive in my G3/ 700 iMac. with a new 100gb 7200rpm IDE. When I put it to sleep from the Apple Menu, I hear a "click, click" noise that repeats every second or so... like a noisy clock. The sound is emmanating from the area of the hard drive, hmmm? It does not make the noise when it goes to sleep on it's own (from the energy saver) Any ideas? Suggestions?
Please help!

Detrius
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2004, 08:09 PM

uhhh... try a PMU reset.

There should be no functional difference between manual sleep and automatic sleep. There is no conceivable reason for why there should be a difference... unless the logic board, which does the sleeping, is doing something weird.

Do you have another OS to boot from (OS 9?)? Does it do the same thing there? Do you have the latest firmware (4.1.9f)? Does it continue to do this after an OS reinstall?
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

nutriskis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
uhhh... try a PMU reset.

What's a PMU?

There should be no functional difference between manual sleep and automatic sleep. There is no conceivable reason for why there should be a difference... unless the logic board, which does the sleeping, is doing something weird.

Do you have another OS to boot from (OS 9?)? Does it do the same thing there? Do you have the latest firmware (4.1.9f)? Does it continue to do this after an OS reinstall?
I have 4.1.9f and OS 9.2... Does the same thing. Sounds to me as though the HD is spinning down before the "Clicking" starts. And... the noise is in sinq with the pulsing of the power switch light.

I have not tried to reinstall 10.2.8 yet. Thank you very much for your help... DLB

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2004, 04:32 PM

Clicking noises may be indicative of a hard drive that can't fully asleep. I remember reading about sleep issues with certain 3rd party drives. Maybe yours is one of them.

nutriskis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
Clicking noises may be indicative of a hard drive that can't fully asleep. I remember reading about sleep issues with certain 3rd party drives. Maybe yours is one of them.
Reasonable however, It is quiet when it falls asleep on it's own...Hmmm?

DLB

nutriskis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2004, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by nutriskis:
Reasonable however, It is quiet when it falls asleep on it's own...Hmmm?

DLB
Am I the only one to experience a problem such as this?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2004, 02:51 PM

Is the drive a Western Digital Special Edition? I have one in my iMac (see sig) and I can't sleep my machine anymore. There are/were threads at Apple, XLR8yourmac and here and I never found a solution.

nutriskis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2004, 09:02 PM

Mine is a "Magnetic Data Tech" 100GB, 7200 RPM, 8mb buffer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules